Seasonal Camping

Mr. Camper

Due to some personal changes we are looking at staying for about 5 months at a seasonal campground.  Other than staying at one place for 3 months, which we paid month by month.  The hiccup here is that we have to pay 1/2 now and the rest in 7 months.  That isn't the problem.  We have only seen a map of the campground so we tried Google Earth but can't get a good view (angle is too sharp).  Anyone have any experience in this and if so...did you just jump in or did you do some checking we didn't think about?   Thanks for any suggestions and/or ideas.

Did you look it up in RVparkreviews? Did you look at it via Google Maps? If you give us the name and location someone may have stayed there............

I would just schedule a day or 2 there and then go for the long term stay. Unless it is in a snowbird area. Give us some info so we can help you better...............

They aren't listed in RV Park Reviews.  I know where they are.  They are only open for seasonal campers unless they have an open site that didn't get bought for the season and then they open it for daily or weekly visitors.  The name of the place is Niemeyers Rugged River Resort in the Brainerd Lakes region of Minnesota.  While not a snowbird area they are full most years.  The park may be empty during the week but there are RV's on all sites we are told.  Weekends and holidays must be families and packed activities.

https://roadtrippers.com/us/brainerd-mn/camping-rv/niemeyers-rugged-river-resort

I found this review and 5 Google Reviews, everyone seemed to like it very much, 5 star.

They are not open through the winter though. Their website says they close Oct 10th(?) or so. Are you planning to winter there? Or are you thinking of next summer...............Snowbird generally implies wintering.................

They have a house that they rent for all seasons, including winter.  We are looking to leave there in early to mid-October.  Their 2018 season is May 4th through Oct. 14th.  From some of the people I've spoken to online many people leave their RV's there all winter if they want to return the following year.  That will not be us.  We are looking at next year since we just came back from this years trip.  The sites I've asked about are open to the southern sky for satellite reception.  I'll have to be inside for several hours each day and reading and TV would be good options.  I'd rather be fishing but hey, the fish need a break too.

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

https://roadtrippers.com/us/brainerd-mn/camping-rv/niemeyers-rugged-river-resort

I found this review and 5 Google Reviews, everyone seemed to like it very much, 5 star.

They are not open through the winter though. Their website says they close Oct 10th(?) or so. Are you planning to winter there? Or are you thinking of next summer...............Snowbird generally implies wintering.................

Or some of us could be called "Sunbirds" or "Hotbirds".  Those of us who have S&B's in the south or southwest and head north for the summer.

Since 2005, we have only spent one summer in San Antonio. 

We have enjoyed the cool northern weather some of those years. Some anyways.  Some were HOT.

Philidelphia in June, many days in the 90's.  The same summer 4th of July in Baltimore, upper 90's.  This summer in the Portland, OR area.  About a week ago Portland was, 97, 103, 105 & 96 for a 4 day stretch. 

Of course we have had some very nice summers as well.  Maine, Nova Scotia, & Newfoundland.  Alaska last year.  Others as well.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 8/8/2017 at 4:21 PM, Mr. Camper said:

The name of the place is Niemeyers Rugged River Resort in the Brainerd Lakes region of Minnesota.  

Dunno if you have been in the Brainerd area in the summer.  Very fishing-oriented.  The bigger lakes often see fast boats and water-skiers.

If you like motorsports, Brainerd International Raceway between Baxter and Nisswa has events all summer. Some of them are motorcycle and drag events which draw large crowds.  

Weather can be coolish or hot in summer.  In midsummer hot in these parts means humid.  You are going to running the AC.  Sometimes in spring they can get hot days with low humidity, which is very nice.  In the fall after the first freeze they can get the so-called Indian Summer which may be my favorite weather anywhere.  Flying bugs are gone, and weather is comfortable.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd wrap this thread up with a post-seasonal camp review.  We left there two months early.  First the positive news.  We never lost electrical power.  Now for the rest of the news.  The roads are dirt and rock and hilly.  They don't trim back the shrubs and/or trees along the road so lots of vehicle scratches.  None of which is obvious from Google Earth.  No rules for driving around.  It was not unusual to be breaching a hill and have another vehicle coming at you.  Thankfully, no crashes just a few near misses.  It's in the Brainerd area in RainorSnowta (found on the map as Minnesota).  You really don't get many other options.  For the owners, this appears to be a part-time hobby.  They have full-time jobs elsewhere and getting someone on the phone is only possible by leaving a message and hoping you get a callback.  We know this because the place lost water pressure three different times and we had to call and wait for a response.  Thankfully after the first time, we kept our water tank full.  It was necessary.  Apparently, the rules as stated in the agreement are not followed and enforced by unseen persons.  Management as previously stated was non-existent, so others had visitors who parked all over the sites, roads and anywhere else they could, even twice on our site, once blocking us in.  Nine miles to the closest grocery store and any type of commercial civilization.  Barking dogs and dogs running off leash were the norm, not the rarity.

We believe the positive reviews we read were from people who enjoyed the "no rule enforcement" and felt that was a good thing.

What did we learn?  No more seasonal camping unless we are able to make an in-person visual inspection ahead of time, and a seasonal place that you pay for monthly and can leave at any time.  

15 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

I thought I'd wrap this thread up with a post-seasonal camp review.  We left there two months early.  First the positive news.  We never lost electrical power.  Now for the rest of the news.  The roads are dirt and rock and hilly.  They don't trim back the shrubs and/or trees along the road so lots of vehicle scratches.  None of which is obvious from Google Earth.  No rules for driving around.  It was not unusual to be breaching a hill and have another vehicle coming at you.  Thankfully, no crashes just a few near misses.  It's in the Brainerd area in RainorSnowta (found on the map as Minnesota).  You really don't get many other options.  For the owners, this appears to be a part-time hobby.  They have full-time jobs elsewhere and getting someone on the phone is only possible by leaving a message and hoping you get a callback.  We know this because the place lost water pressure three different times and we had to call and wait for a response.  Thankfully after the first time, we kept our water tank full.  It was necessary.  Apparently, the rules as stated in the agreement are not followed and enforced by unseen persons.  Management as previously stated was non-existent, so others had visitors who parked all over the sites, roads and anywhere else they could, even twice on our site, once blocking us in.  Nine miles to the closest grocery store and any type of commercial civilization.  Barking dogs and dogs running off leash were the norm, not the rarity.

We believe the positive reviews we read were from people who enjoyed the "no rule enforcement" and felt that was a good thing.

What did we learn?  No more seasonal camping unless we are able to make an in-person visual inspection ahead of time, and a seasonal place that you pay for monthly and can leave at any time.  

Was this the "Niemeyers Rugged River Resort"? 

As Barb wrote, be sure to add your comments to RVParkReviews.com. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

14 minutes ago, Al F said:

Was this the "Niemeyers Rugged River Resort"? 

As Barb wrote, be sure to add your comments to RVParkReviews.com. 

Yes, this was N. RRR.  We tried posting to RV P. Rev.  but it wasn't listed and when we tried to add it, it wouldn't.  Hence our post here.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Camper said:

Yes, this was N. RRR.  We tried posting to RV P. Rev.  but it wasn't listed and when we tried to add it, it wouldn't.  Hence our post here.

What reason did RV Park Reviews give for not adding the place?  You should have received some sort of feedback from RVPR's stating why it wouldn't add.

I went though the process of adding it and it seemed to accept it.  My addition may not fully complete or be accepted since I didn't give a review since we didn't actually stay or visit the park.  I believe a human needs to review the addition before it will appear on the website.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

4 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

I'm sorry you had difficulty posting your review to RVParkReviews.com  Actually, the park is already listed in our database, although no reviews have yet been posted.  The "official" name of the place is Rugged River Resort. Here's a link to the RVParkReviews listing for the park where I encourage you to post your review: Rugged River Resort

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

20 minutes ago, docj said:

The "official" name of the place is Rugged River Resort.

I would agree that you need to put in your review, but while you are about it, share it with the other good park review site, Campendium.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I did check the link docj provided and it did show up, so we will post the review shortly.  Why it didn't appear earlier I have no idea.  I did attempt to post it at Niemeyers Rugged River Resort and as Rugged River Resort and both times it just "froze" without further action.  We had to reboot the computer to get it unfrozen.  RV Park Reviews is the only place we post reviews so more than likely that will be the only place we use.  I've seen RV Parky and Campendium and frankly, we weren't impressed with either one.

Thanks for the information

On 8/8/2017 at 4:34 PM, SWharton said:

Snowbird generally implies wintering.................

Sidebar:

When I was growing up in Minnesota, I had never heard the term "snowbird" in the context of a person who wintered in a warmer clime than his primary residence.

A "snowbird" was a car that had not been moved before the snowplows arrived, and was plowed-in.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

5 hours ago, docj said:

I'm sorry you had difficulty posting your review to RVParkReviews.com  Actually, the park is already listed in our database, although no reviews have yet been posted.  The "official" name of the place is Rugged River Resort. Here's a link to the RVParkReviews listing for the park where I encourage you to post your review: Rugged River Resort

That is the new listing I added this morning. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

5 hours ago, docj said:

Docj,

I can see the listing when I click on your link.  However when I go to RVParkReviews and to to Brainerd, MN, the listing doesn't show up. Does it need a review before appears?

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

1 hour ago, Al F said:

Docj,

I can see the listing when I click on your link.  However when I go to RVParkReviews and to to Brainerd, MN, the listing doesn't show up. Does it need a review before appears?

Try it again. It ought to work now.   Did you try to add the park before you had submitted a review of it?  It looks as if you couldn't submit the review because the park hadn't yet been approved.  Normally, the park gets approved and added by an administrator at the same time the review is being processed.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

13 hours ago, docj said:

Try it again. It ought to work now.   Did you try to add the park before you had submitted a review of it?  It looks as if you couldn't submit the review because the park hadn't yet been approved.  Normally, the park gets approved and added by an administrator at the same time the review is being processed.

The RV Park is there in the list this morning.  I didn't try to add a review, since I never visited the park.  I only added the park to see if I could add it when the OP couldn't.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Archived