OT: coax cable

SuiteSuccess

My cable internet by Xfinity has an approximate 50' run from the pedestal to the distribution connection. This was done with direct bury cable (orange) which I believe is RG11 flooded. Well we're having a retaining wall built and even though the path was marked the mini- excavator guy cut the cable trying to get close. They made a one foot splice to repair with RG6 and supposedly waterproof connectors.  I'm thinking this is a future problem so how should it be done before the section is reburied?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I'd absolutely replace the entire cable.  Doesn't make sense to do otherwise, sounds like it will run under your wall and be a nightmare to replace later vs. very simple right now.

I've got about 600' of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT6-550MHz-Outdoor-Waterproof-UV-Direct-Burial-Gel-Filled-Ethernet-Cable-1000FT-/122154846871?hash=item1c70ff0a97:g:yQkAAOSwTA9X9T8B

left over from a project.  not sure if that is what you need.  let me know how much you need and I'll send it to you.  This is just the cable, ends are not terminated.  Let me know.

8 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

Never mind, reread the op, you need coax not cat 6.  stiil, if anybody needs some, let me know.

Thanks for the offer anyway.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, as the others said, replace it. For sure.

And if the retaining wall is substantial I'd be putting a conduit under it for this and any future "endeavors".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks everyone for the help.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I agree replace it all.  Otherwise it is a future headache waiting to happen.  I also agree with Jack that at the very least run conduit under the wall.  If feasible I personally would run conduit from point to point.  Technology has a tendency to change.  Already having conduit in place for any possible future upgrade/change will make life easier.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Carl, if for some reason the contractor will not replace the cable each end that has been cut should be brought up out of the ground in PVC conduit and the splice made above ground in a junction box.  This may result in two above ground boxes with the splice running between them.  Remember, anything stamped waterproof will leak and anything underground will eventually succumb to the wrath of the minerals in the soil/water, moles, shrews, or whatever.  Your wall contractor will be long-gone when this happens.  If you have RG-11 splicing with RG-6 will change the characteristic impedance of the entire cable run which can be a problem with high speed data lines much more so than TV.    Your cable/Fios company actually owns that line and should be notified to see how they want it repaired.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Talked to contractor. We are going to rerun entire line from box to box with RG11 flooded cable. I was able to get 100 ft with ends already on for $50 on amazon. He will pay and his guys will bury. Last time I tried to get Xfinity to respond took 5 weeks and 6 phone calls so just going to replace with same cable. Seems that the cable companies have one team to connect and lay an orange cable across your lawn but a second team to come dig your lawn up and put it 8" underground. No communication between the two. Took all of 30 minutes to bury. Thanks again for the advice. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

5 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

TSeems that the cable companies have one team to connect and lay an orange cable across your lawn but a second team to come dig your lawn up and put it 8" underground. No communication between the two. Took all of 30 minutes to bury. Thanks again for the advice. 

Generally the way it works is that the owning company lays the wire, and they contract another company to bury it. That is almost always the way it is done. So the guys burying it are just contractors....(typically).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 3 months later...

Thanks folks for all the good suggestions.  Got it done.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived