Single data device - where's the deal?

Only have one device that uses data - my computer.  Seems all the 'deals' are for multiple lines, so those traveling  solo are left out.

I'm still using the deal Verizon offered when Millenicom went under, 20G for $100.  I just  had a chat on-line with them asking how I

could buy additional data without changing my plan.  Can't be done.  I don't do Facebook or any social media, nor do I watch any

movies and very few short You Tube videos (did you see the one of the mountain lion chirping for her young?).  As others have

said in a recent thread, just being on line seems to use more and more without changing much although I did use trip wizard and

that might have gobbled up some with all the mapping.  Any solutions or suggestions would be appreciated.

You should look into the ATT Mobley. The plan has been around since February or so and there are several threads about it. Read the threads as it is a separate plan from the Car Connect areas of ATT. Other options are the MVNO's. I know Cricket(ATT) has an unlimited plan for $55 per month. The ATT Mobley appears to be the best deal. You may need to buy an AC or USB adapter  since the Mobley is meant to plug into your OBDII port. My experience with the Mobley is that it works great.

You need to be proactive on these plans and keep your eyes and ears open.

I'll add another vote for checking out the Mobley. At $20/month for unlimited 4G/LTE data, I don't know of any better deal available anywhere today.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Did read many of those threads about the Mobley, but was under the impression it wasn't something I could use since I didn't have the correct base or needed a smart phone - shoot, I can't remember what it was now. Anyway,  What is an AC or USB adapter (and an OBDII port)?  I do have an AT&T phone, does that help (but it's on Consumer Cellular)?  Also read you can get it at AT&T (ready to use) or Amazon (have to set-up). 

Thanks SWharton and Dutch - appreciate your input.  I'll go back and re-read some of the Mobley info....

EDIT:  OK, found the adapter on Amazon - now I see what you are talking about. :)

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I'll add another vote for checking out the Mobley. At $20/month for unlimited 4G/LTE data, I don't know of any better deal available anywhere today.

X3 been using mine for 3 months now and it works GREAT!  I think I use 50-90 gigs a month for just $23, with taxes.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

1 hour ago, dirtyboots said:

Did read many of those threads about the Mobley, but was under the impression it wasn't something I could use since I didn't have the correct base or needed a smart phone - shoot, I can't remember what it was now. Anyway,  What is an AC or USB adapter (and an OBDII port)?  I do have an AT&T phone, does that help (but it's on Consumer Cellular)?  Also read you can get it at AT&T (ready to use) or Amazon (have to set-up). 

Thanks SWharton and Dutch - appreciate your input.  I'll go back and re-read some of the Mobley info....

EDIT:  OK, found the adapter on Amazon - now I see what you are talking about. :)

The hard part is finding a Mobley, as they are sold out again.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

For the price, the Mobley is hard to beat:)! I have two of them in our arsenal for staying data connected:)!

Suggest you take time on the ATT site, and work your way to where the Mobley is an option to purchase. (The new 'improved' ATT site, is hopefully still a 'process in work':)!) The last I heard from a few forums, they are again 'out of stock'. When they do 'come in stock' they seem to still go pretty fast. I was able to purchase both of mine from ATT directly, the second time I did the purchase online, and the Mobley came ready to plug in and use... (Plugging it in, I had to wait about 30 minutes before it was out to the Internet.). 

I started the thread on this forum about the last day of the Mobley offer. Well, that was what I had read on a few forums, so shred that here. We now know it's still available (The plan.) after the first announced cutoff date... IF, you can get a Mobley.

If you got that route, make it easy on yourself, and purchase (Like off of Amazon -a you just missed a fell Escapee selling a few surplice units.) a power supply of your choice. (12V or 120V, with the OBD2 plug.).

The ZTE Mobley is a bit older tech, but the combo of the plan and the device is a 'Winner!' (Not in a Charlie Sheen sort of way:)!).

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

32 minutes ago, SCClockDr said:

A computer consumes far more data bandwidth than a mobile device (MD). I rarely break out our laptop and browse on one of my mobile devices. 

MD's don't pre-load a pages links & media like a computer does. They also request compression.

With an unlimited data plan, the amount of data we consume is not really a big concern. As I look around the motorhome right now, we have three laptops, two tablets, two cell phones, a satellite receiver, a TV, and a FireTVstick all connected to the Internet via our Connected Car plan. Not all connected directly with some connected through our Pepwave WiFi/cell repeater/router, and not all actively using data all the time of course

Dutch

Thanks, Smitty, I did find (after a fashion) where the Mobley was on AT&T and that it said out of stock....I did a chat with their support asking when it would be available again, so I'll be checking back to order one.  Of course, we never know if what their customer service tells us is true, but I'll spend the time looking.  I asked about pre-order and he said no, they aren't doing that.

Thanks to everyone for the guidance and suggestions. 

Just wondering about the AT&T users experience with coverage. Everything I have read and the coverage maps I have seen (and downloaded) indicate that when you get out west Verizon's coverage is better, but most people have one or the other, so the comparisons come from different people, some pro Verizon, some pro AT&T.

What are your experiences like, particularly out west, like New Mexico and Arizona? Once I hit the highway I plan to be west a lot. I will likely be staying staying south of a line that starts at the north border of North Carolina and mozey back and forth across the southeast to the southwest and back and forth, chasing weather.

The Verizon coverage maps really seem more saturated out west.

7 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

Just wondering about the AT&T users experience with coverage. Everything I have read and the coverage maps I have seen (and downloaded) indicate that when you get out west Verizon's coverage is better, but most people have one or the other, so the comparisons come from different people, some pro Verizon, some pro AT&T.

What are your experiences like, particularly out west, like New Mexico and Arizona? Once I hit the highway I plan to be west a lot. I will likely be staying staying south of a line that starts at the north border of North Carolina and mozey back and forth across the southeast to the southwest and back and forth, chasing weather.

The Verizon coverage maps really seem more saturated out west.

For 20 bucks a month , even if it only works half the time , it's still a deal .

Goes around , comes around .

At least east of the Mississippi, we haven't been anyplace yet where we didn't have AT&T coverage. We do have a Maximum Signal Max Amp RV onboard though, that I know helps out when needed.

Dutch

Archived