Ceramic window tint?

pethier

Yes.  Because our two dogs are in our truck almost every time we are, I had the truck done first.  I was very surprised at the difference.  The clear or lighter shades are much, much cooler than the darkest window tint (not ceramic).  Most tint shops use a heat lamp to demonstrate right on your hand and it's significant.

After a couple of months, I went ahead and had the Momentume 376TH done.  I had all the windows done even the end windows on the five slide outs.  Costly but well worth it.

Also expect it to help with minamizing the condensation in the winter time.

There are many, many you tube videos that explain it all better than I can.  

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

• 3 weeks later...

The topic caught my eye as a possible improvement to our rig.  After 5 minutes of research on the topic I found this site that provides quite a bit of technical information on window tints.  You might find it interesting. I did.

Later, J

http://www.engineeredgroup.com/how-to-shop-for-window-film/

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I had all the windows in my 376TH (that's a lot of windows) done, including the side windows on each of the five slide outs.  It took two guys every bit of eight hours.  I think I paid $2,600 or $2,700.  It made a difference to the point that I would do it again.

An example.....92F here in San Diego on Sun while I was having a Dish satellite system installed.  The installer came to me and so the toy hauler was sitting in the office park across the street, in direct sun, all day.  He had one of the three A/Cs running and he had it down to 68F-69F inside.  

When I walked across the street and went in, I looked at the t-stat and saw that only one A/C was on.  I asked him "did you have another A/C on and turn it off before I got here?".  He told me that he'd only had the living room A/C on because that's the only room he was working in.

It's pricey but yes, it's money well spent!  I went with just one shade above clear because my RV windows are already dark tint.

IMG_5730.jpg

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

We also had the 3M crystalline window film installed in our fifth wheel this summer... HUGE difference. No - in my opinion, the 3M crystalline film needs to be professionally installed. We opted for a grade that reduces visible light as well in order to help with glare since we have a lot of glass in the living area.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

We also had the 3M crystalline window film installed in our fifth wheel this summer... HUGE difference. No - in my opinion, the 3M crystalline film needs to be professionally installed. We opted for a grade that reduces visible light as well in order to help with glare since we have a lot of glass in the living area.

Rob

What is the downside of DIY installation of the ceramic window film?

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

Rob

6 minutes ago, pethier said:

IF you can find a source for the large/wide rolls required for an RV, it takes a lot of skill. I have done a lot of DIY stuff in my lifetime (including building cars from the ground up and home additions/remodeling). I watched the installers do my rig and was really impressed with their techniques and skill level. One of them had been doing film for 15 years and the other for 10. They go to regional and national competitions to be judged on the quality of their installations. Being able to get the glass clean enough, get the film on it without bubbles, and trim the edges so that one cannot tell the film is not part of the glass is a truly impressive thing to watch - and all this without wasting any of this very expensive material. I would not attempt it myself - even after watching how it is done.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

On 8/31/2017 at 11:07 AM, Second Chance said:

IF you can find a source for the large/wide rolls required for an RV, it takes a lot of skill. I have done a lot of DIY stuff in my lifetime (including building cars from the ground up and home additions/remodeling). I watched the installers do my rig and was really impressed with their techniques and skill level. One of them had been doing film for 15 years and the other for 10. They go to regional and national competitions to be judged on the quality of their installations. Being able to get the glass clean enough, get the film on it without bubbles, and trim the edges so that one cannot tell the film is not part of the glass is a truly impressive thing to watch - and all this without wasting any of this very expensive material. I would not attempt it myself - even after watching how it is done.

Rob

I understand.  But on non-windshield areas, my standards may not be as high as some others on bubbles and edge trimming.  I'm in it for the heat performance, and whether observers can tell whether the tint is part of the glass is not important to me.

Archived