Using fridge on propane while traveling

etu

We have never used our 5ver fridge on propane except once just to see that it works. Most our trips are less than 8 hours so we have only used it on AC. Now we are heading from GA to South Dakota so several successive days on the road. My question is it safe to leave the fridge in LP mode while traveling? 

10 minutes ago, 57becky said:

we turn off the fridge to protect it from overheating which will damage the cooling unit.

That's true. I "do" shut mine down if I'm going to be on anything over 4% grade for any length of time. Pretty few and far between though.

10 hours ago, etu said:

My question is it safe to leave the fridge in LP mode while traveling? 

That is one of those often debated issues, but the system is designed to be used when traveling. It has a special valve in each tank that will stop all flow of propane if the line should suddenly rupture for some reason so while it isn't without any risk, little in life is. Like others who have responded here, we had done so nearly all of the time for many years.

5 hours ago, 57becky said:

If we stop for more than maybe 15 minutes and are not level, we turn off the fridge to protect it from overheating which will damage the cooling unit.

We used to do that, but since we had our ARP-RV installed, we do not have that issue to worry about. Mark Nemeth wrote a very positive review of it several years ago. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Yarome said:

Always travel with it on, however, I do shut it down while fueling by turning off the LP at the external tanks

I agree with shutting it down but not at the LP tanks.  I recommend turning off the power switch at the fridge.  Turning off the the LP tanks will starve the system of propane but the refrigerator's spark ignition system will attempt to relight the now-non-existent propane over and over again thus creating a potential hazard while refueling.
Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

21 minutes ago, NH2 said:

I agree with shutting it down but not at the LP tanks.  

But... I'm too lazy to go inside to shut off the reefer.. and still wanna feel like I'm being "cautious" (when I remember to do even that). :lol::lol:

As Kirk said.. they are designed for use in travel.

17 hours ago, Yarome said:

That's true. I "do" shut mine down if I'm going to be on anything over 4% grade for any length of time. Pretty few and far between though.

I have a residential refrig now so I forget the exact number but I  think the off level stated in the manual was 6 or 7 %. I had problems going into one park with a 8% rough hill. I had problems until I turned off the refrig at the refrig ,15 minutes before entering that area. Never had any other problems which included any place I drove in WY, CO and NM. Leave the refrig on as it takes a long time to cool down.

I had the problem when the left side was elevated side on a 4 door model refrig

Clay pulled by diesel

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

On 8/7/2017 at 7:38 AM, Kirk Wood said:

That is one of those often debated issues, but the system is designed to be used when traveling. It has a special valve in each tank that will stop all flow of propane if the line should suddenly rupture for some reason so while it isn't without any risk, little in life is. Like others who have responded here, we had done so nearly all of the time for many years.

We used to do that, but since we had our ARP-RV installed, we do not have that issue to worry about. Mark Nemeth wrote a very positive review of it several years ago. 

After reading your review and thoughts about ARP, I bought a 2.1 model, oldjohnT helped me do the wiring and it works great. Adding the optional blower fan lowered interior frig temp 10*F on same frig setting.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Our Norcold (but it always stayed cold) lived on the Auto setting.... It did its job of switching from Elec to LP and back.  Never turned it off until yesterday when the towing company came to salvage the RV.  We added the interior fans and re baffled the top air for air flow and it just worked.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

After reading your review and thoughts about ARP, I bought a 2.1

That is the one that I have on my travel trailer refrigerator as well. Ours didn't come with any fan and that makes a big difference. If you are familiar with Mark Nemeth, he also has one and has long recommended them in his classes at RV Boot Camp. I don't know if that is still true since Mark retired. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived