Packing a minimum of clothing

On 8/13/2017 at 8:50 AM, Kirk W said:

In 1978 we took our family (5 of us) and joined another family to spend 12 days traveling the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area on horseback also taking very limited clothing since we had only 1 pack horse. I don't know that I'd care to do that again and I know that I wouldn't want to make the lifestyle.

What did you think of Bob Marshall as to the horseback riding? Any other places you have been and would recommend?

As for biking and under garments my parents found them to be a no no when they rode from Oregon to Vermont  in 85. I don't remember what they cared but they were gone 11 weeks and only used one pannier each for clothing. 

Not living in a quiet state of stress all the time from  “news”, politics, fear, deadlines, pain in the ass people, fussing, worry, discontent with my material stuff etc etc does wonders for the stinkiness of clothing 😀.

I use “no rinse” soap from the drug store used for extended bed care patients when I don’t want to be managing water and tanks and dumping and...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

What did you think of Bob Marshall as to the horseback riding? Any other places you have been and would recommend?

That was our longest trip by horse but a memorable experience and one that we would do over if we were 20 years younger. We saw things that we would probably never have seen on a driving trip. Wildlife doesn't spook at the approach of horses like it does with driving or even walking.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

We are never in really cold or really warm weather. We have a closet full of winter clothes we have not worn for years.  back in Northern Ohio .

We both have one set of "good clothes "just in case we go somewhere were they  are needed.It has not  happened yet.

I wore a pair of real shoes a couple of weeks ago and got blisters .

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I still work full time although we full time rv, just not retired yet. I have to have a lot of clothes as I have to have fresh clothing daily. My wife is retired from public work and takes care of me. But she has 3 times the clothing I have. So, sorry, it is a wife's thing.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Not saying you are Linda. Most women I know fit this billing.

I resist being defined as any group whenever I can since that can lead to us vs. them. So you saying it's a wife problem hit me wrong. I don't like to think of the husband/wife relationship being an us (husbands) vs. them (wives). I prefer it be an "us" relationship including the husband/wife duo. I doubt that, if some guy started bad mouthing your wife in front of you, you would think of him as us and her as them.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Linda, my wife could throw away over half her clothes and never miss them. If I had a 53' 5ther she would fill it up. I know lots of women this way. I not talking about you. Sorry, I did not mean to offend you. Now, I love my wife and would likely die if I lost her. But she hords clothes. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, I think you should stop trying to explain yourself, you are just digging deeper.  Trashing one's wife usually isn't a good idea no matter where or when.  Unflattering to both of you.    Stereotypes are never a good idea to put forward.  Think of all of the men on this forum to do nothing but brag about how many tools they care with them - never use, but have them just in case.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Now, I love my wife and would likely die if I lost her. But she hords clothes. 

I suspect that the two of you have kidded about the clothing thing, just as Pam & I razz each other about similar items. I suspect that your wife, like mine, would simply smile reading what you wrote.   😊

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I understand what Glen is saying. Wife has more than triple the  clothing I have.It is just a fact.  A prime selling point for this Montana 3402 we purchased in 2013 was it had a bath and 1/2. The 1/2 has the sink, john counter space and  medicine cabinet.I use the 1/2 bath as wife had maybe 50 lady items in and around her space and  I have maybe 10 guy things.

Male and female are different in many ways.It is not a bad thing

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

8 hours ago, richfaa said:

wife had maybe 50 lady items in and around her space and  I have maybe 10 guy things.

Male and female are different in many ways.It is not a bad thing

My problem is with saying my wife has this so all women have this. I have fewer than 10 "lady items" so I must not be a lady. The closet in my van was 24 inches wide and that was plenty big enough for me so I must not be a woman. It's not just male and female that are different. Minimalists can be either gender. Please, stop extrapolating from one to all.

Linda.

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

34 minutes ago, sandsys said:

My problem is with saying my wife has this so all women have this. I have fewer than 10 "lady items" so I must not be a lady. The closet in my van was 24 inches wide and that was plenty big enough for me so I must not be a woman. It's not just male and female that are different. Minimalists can be either gender. Please, stop extrapolating from one to all.

Linda.

Linda, I don't think anyone is attempting to denigrate you or force you into an ill fitting box. They may just be stating their reality and observations, maybe occasionally somewhat inelegantly. I too have a lovely wife with a large walk in closet whose clothes also occupy most of my closet... But of course, that doesn't mean all gals are exactly like that. I am personally a minimalist, however those of us who subscribe to that lifestyle may be in the minority, whether we are guy or gal. Certainly, in today's culture, there is plenty of room for all persuasions. Have a peaceful and happy day:). Jay

59 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Linda.

You must be one in a million , Linda . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

I can't say a darn thing about the 3 closets my wife has full, I get 1/4 of one.  I say nothing, she says nothing about 2 barns and 2 garages full of equipment.  We all have our.... toys... as my wife tells me.  In her defense, she is trying real hard to cut her stuff down, me on the other hand... it just grows and grows and grows.....

For camping, we both carry 7 days worth of clothes, try to do laundry every 5 days.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda.

I want to know what are lady items?  Meds, no, I take FAR, FAR fewer ones.  Shampoo, no.  I don’t wear makeup, hair is short so just wash and go (of course Dave has just a fringe😉), so no difference there.  Deorderant - well we both have that.   I do have bras, but the take up less room than Dave’s undershirts.  Dave picks up caps all of the time, probably has 2 dozen in the coach.  I’ve got 2 sun visors.  I usually wear shorts most of the year, Dave wears full length jeans.  So about even weight wise.   Still trying to figure out what ‘lady items’ are taking up so much space in everyone’s rigs.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

You must be one in a million , Linda . ;)

Actually there are a lot of women, in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, that are like Linda.  You’re problem seems to be a limited knowledge of how diverse 1/2 of  the population can be.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I want to know what are lady items?  Meds, no, I take FAR, FAR fewer ones.  Shampoo, no.  I don’t wear makeup, hair is short so just wash and go (of course Dave has just a fringe😉), so no difference there.  Deorderant - well we both have that.   I do have bras, but the take up less room than Dave’s undershirts.  Dave picks up caps all of the time, probably has 2 dozen in the coach.  I’ve got 2 sun visors.  I usually wear shorts most of the year, Dave wears full length jeans.  So about even weight wise.   Still trying to figure out what ‘lady items’ are taking up so much space in everyone’s rigs.  

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Actually there are a lot of women, in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors, that are like Linda.  You’re problem seems to be a limited knowledge of how diverse 1/2 of  the population can be.

Right on, Barb! Thanks for having my back.

Linda

11 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

Right on, Barb! Thanks for having my back.

Linda

Hmm ... about my comment :  there is / was absolutely nothing negative , derogatory or problematic involved . 

I'm fully aware of the possible diversity among 3 billion 850 million females . 

Seems to me a bit of jumping to conclusions might just be the problem . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• Kirk W locked this topic

Archived