MH Crashes into Golden Gate Bridge Toll Booth

Al F

An estimate of the cost of the damage done in the crash was not immediately available, according to Priya David Clemens, a Golden Gate Bridge spokeswoman.

I'd bet the RV has far more damage than the booth. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I'd bet the RV has far more damage than the booth. 

It broke the door off the RV. But the couple still couldn't get out because the booth was blocking the opening. Why they would want to get out anyway puzzles me since they had all the comforts of home right there. :)

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

53 minutes ago, sandsys said:

It broke the door off the RV. But the couple still couldn't get out because the booth was blocking the opening. Why they would want to get out anyway puzzles me since they had all the comforts of home right there. :)

It would be pretty embarrassing to admit you actually totaled a motor home on a toll booth . 

Maybe the driver never drove a motor home before .

Goes around , comes around .

49 minutes ago, Mr. Camper said:

Seriously, priorities being what they are let's hope the driver and passengers and toll collector are okay.

The story says that nobody was injured, but I'd bet that clean underwear was in short supply! :huh:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Toll takers were eliminated on the Golden Gate bridge a few years ago; it's either FastTrak or receiving the toll fee in the mail (license plate photo).

The wide lanes are ample for clear passage of large vehicles if one is paying attention and "centers" in the lane; this mishap was undoubtedly due to "pilot error". 

I'd bet they were newbies.   My passenger side mirror hasn't been the same since - on my first drive bringing our MH home - I banged it into the right hand booth.   And then I did it again the second time through.   My only excuses was that I was new, by myself, and misjudged it.   Didn't require a change of clothes, but from that point on it was clear - if anybody was going to damage our MH it was me!

One of the first things I noticed about driving a Class A is that from the drivers seat your perspective of the road is that you are right on top of or over the center line so you move to the right.  It is not until you look in your side rear view mirrors and watch the hwy lines going behind you, that you realize you really are hugging or over the white line on the right side of the road.  It takes a while to reset your driving so you naturally drive so it feels like you are hugging the center line. 

In another topic in the last few weeks about driving a Class A, someone wrote that the first time they drove one the nice salesman told them to be sure to hug the center line to keep the mirrors from hitting mail boxes, etc on the side of the road.  Nah, that is not the reason.  The real reason is the salesman knows that the newbie's reaction is they are on top of the center line and the move to the right so far they are almost off of the road.  So when they hug the center line the really are pretty much in the center of the traffic lane. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Someone trying to open door looking for attendant and MH moved?  Just look at the second picture and it is clear the door frame got pulled off -  like a partially open door getting caught on something?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived