Eternabond vs. Flex Tape

SuiteSuccess

I have my trailer seams covered by Eternabond but see "Flex Tape" advertised a lot on TV.  Anyone used this for any projects and how did it hold up?  I have used Gorilla tape on a rear seam of a travel trailer my kids had and it wasn't peeling even after two years in the weather.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I saw that flex tape ad , too . Must be some pretty good glue on it . But , I wonder just how long it lasts .

I used roof repair tape from Menards . It's made by Owens Corning . That 'installation' was 6 & 7 years ago . It shows no sign of degradation that I can see .

It's cost is minimal compared to Eternabond . And , it happens to be on sale right now for an even better savings .

1511850.jpg

Goes around , comes around .

Consider a seamless, leakproof roof system like RVFlexArmor.  We installed on our Motorhome and it is totally awesome.  No seams remain, no places for leaks except the AC Gaskets.

JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

1 hour ago, brunsje said:

Consider a seamless, leakproof roof system like RVFlexArmor.  We installed on our Motorhome and it is totally awesome.  No seams remain, no places for leaks except the AC Gaskets.

JohnnyB

Thanks but my roof is doing fine.  The Eternabond is beginning to peel a bit on the cap seam after six years.  Going to redo that section.  Just was wondering how rugged the Flex Tape really is.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

10 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I saw that flex tape ad , too . Must be some pretty good glue on it . But , I wonder just how long it lasts .

I used roof repair tape from Menards . It's made by Owens Corning . That 'installation' was 6 & 7 years ago . It shows no sign of degradation that I can see .

It's cost is minimal compared to Eternabond . And , it happens to be on sale right now for an even better savings .

1511850.jpg

Hmm.  Trip to Menards is due.  My car hauler has a few issues at the top edges.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

2 hours ago, pethier said:

Hmm.  Trip to Menards is due.  My car hauler has a few issues at the top edges.

The factory tape on the seam of the front cap and the roof of our Monaco was showing it's wear .

I applied the 6" wide roof repair tape over the factory tape that was starting to dry and the forward edge was lifting . The factory tape is 4" . I sprayed a bit of 3M adhesive between the loose factory tape backing and its original 'glue' . Let that cure for a short while before applying the 6" on top . 

Goes around , comes around .

I used a quart of the white flex seal on my daughters popup camper roof. Just pour it out and spread with a roller. Has a rubbery texture and sealed all the leaks.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

I have no experience with it, but I'm with, jollyrogr. I find it difficult to believe anything is going to have more stay power than Eternabond or Menards in RV applications.

I do know the flex tape website's "fine print" says it is only intended for temporary repairs and that the tape itself is easily removeable. It also gives a list of things it WILL adhere to, but also has an oblique list of things it WON'T.

Those, in and of themselves would make me inclined not to try it in any area of importance or as a semi-permanent fix.

As a quickie "duct tape" alternative in some applications... it might have value. Duct tape is easily defeated by water under any pressure so maybe this stuff would be an improvement until a permanent fix can be had. Worth looking in to.

Skeptics take note: In the FlexTape ad, they cut a boat in half and stuck it back together. When you cut aluminum, you don't get a shower of sparks....................

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

I just put some flex seal tape on the back of my toyhauler to cover a hole that got to close to a tree branch. (Back wall not roof.) Not real easy to work with. Extremely sticky and if it gets anywhere close to something it reaches out and grabs it! It does NOT come back off easily. Just put it on this weekend so don't know how it will last. Fairly expensive  8" X 60" roll was $20.

Eternabond uses a pressure sensitive adhesive.  The harder you roll or rub on it when applying the better it grabs and sticks.  Until some of the "As seen on TV" stuff is time tested and approved of, I'll stay with the proven for maintenance.

BUT

If I'm in a bind and need a hole plugged or covered now anything that will work is fair game.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

One thing I found with Eternabond.  At the corners of my Travel Supreme roof, I had dams built from the connection of the side and cap seams.  Eternabond is subject to leakage from water sitting on the edge of the tape.  Putting a bead of caulk on the edge of the tape where water can accumulated is a good step.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I agree Mark. I put a bead of Dicor along the front and rear edge when I put the Eternabond on my front cap seal. 

Thanks for the discussion. Guess time will tell if the "miracle " products live up to their hype. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived