Mobley vs. Jetpack

25 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The Liberate should work ok, but they are a little bulky compared to other hotspots. I don't think it supports MIMO dual antenna use either, like the Unite series hotspots do.

If I was not concerned about the size, but which one can get a better/stronger signal and broadcast the furthest.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rynosback said:

If I was not concerned about the size, but which one can get a better/stronger signal and broadcast the furthest.

I think the Netgear Unite Explore would be the better choice in that case. Not the cheapest choice though...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We have had a Mobley for about three months now and wanted a backup in case this one went down but of course there are no Mobelys around anymore. I just ordered a AT&T Unite 4G LTE NETGEAR off Ebay and I am hoping the Mobley Sim card will work in it. Anyone have this hotspot up and running with a Mobley Sim card? 

2017 Chevy 3500 C/C D/A 4X4 DRW LWB

2017 Chevy 1500 C/C
2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

I'm using our Mobley SIM (with an adapter) in a Netgear Unite 770S hotspot. It gets better reception than the Mobley, usually resulting in higher speeds. The Unite also supports up to two external antennas with MIMO capability for an even stronger signal.

Dutch

23 minutes ago, Hunter11 said:

Dutch, what type of an "adapter" will I need to install the Mobley SIM card in Unite?

Not Dutch, and I bet he is glad I'm not:)!

No adapter needed, the Mobley and Unite Explore have the same size SIM. 

Look into the Escapees Member's The 2C's (Technomadia) recommended great buy Net Gear inside MIMO antenna. (Amazon has them, sometimes a bit back ordered, for about $30.) They report this is a solid performance improver with the MIMO capable MiFi's, like the Unite Explore. 

And I agree with Dutch, the Unite Explore will have a further WiFi range for within the coach, and ours actually covers much of the outside sitting area too. 

We have ATT two Mobley's, one Unite Explore, and a Samsung S6 on Hotspot via my Verizon. The Unite Explore has been the performance Download Speed champion for us:)!

Mobley does a fine job, within out coach as far as Wifi. You can attach a single antenna to it, or slide it into the cradle of say a Sleek Amplifier too. 

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

43 minutes ago, Hunter11 said:

Dutch, what type of an "adapter" will I need to install the Mobley SIM card in Unite?

Smitty is right that the Unite Explore uses the same nano SIM as the Mobley, but our older Unite 770S uses a micro SIM, so I'm using a readily available nano to micro SIM adapter.

Dutch

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

So if you have 2 Mobleys does that mean you have 2 accounts or do you just have one in reserve just in case the 1st one plays out and then you will activate the second one?

I have them both active. Use one as a primary when ATT Mobley signal is strong. The second is for if we see network de-prioritazation on the 1st unit (Which we have not.), and as a redundant item. My Wife has an ATT account in her name (Actually, Pacific Bell in it's day - with a 200 prefix phone number on her line 'digital' first was a big thing:)!). We also have her Mom on this account, as a Family Plan. Their two phones, plus a Unite Explore, share 20GB of data per month, with one month rollover of unused data. (Her mom uses about .25GB a month on average. While traveling, I keep my Verizon S6 phones Hotspot activated, and she connects to that, as it is GFUDP. This helps reduce the use of the 20GB to when we need it for streaming. The Family Plan, and then the two Mobley's, are under her account. We dropped her long hung onto ATT Unlimited Data, hoping ATT would relax their rules and allow it to be used as a HotSpot on her iPhone 7. By giving that up, and adding the Unite Explore, and now two Mobley's, we're within $5 of the old monthly bill. 

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

8 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The Liberate should work ok, but they are a little bulky compared to other hotspots. I don't think it supports MIMO dual antenna use either, like the Unite series hotspots do.

I am not worried about the size.  I would rather have one that retrieves the signal the strongest and broadcasts good as well. What do you think my best option would be using my SIM card? Thanks

4 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Smitty is right that the Unite Explore uses the same nano SIM as the Mobley, but our older Unite 770S uses a micro SIM, so I'm using a readily available nano to micro SIM adapter.

Do you know when they changed to a micro SIM card?

6 hours ago, rynosback said:

I am not worried about the size.  I would rather have one that retrieves the signal the strongest and broadcasts good as well. What do you think my best option would be using my SIM card? Thanks

The Unite Explore is the newest model in the Unite series, and likely has the best signals since it has the newest Qualcomm X12 modem chip. Especially when used with two external antennas on MIMO capable towers.

6 hours ago, rynosback said:

Do you know when they changed to a micro SIM card?

The three Unite models I'm somewhat familiar with are the 770S, the "Pro" 781S, and the "Explore" 815S. The 770S and Pro have a micro SIM socket, and the Explore a nano SIM socket, the same as the Mobley.

Dutch

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 4:32 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

I think the Netgear Unite Explore would be the better choice in that case. Not the cheapest choice though...

I went with this set-up as outlined in another post and the Mobley SIMM just plugs right in and boots up. If you couple this with an external MIMO antenna I am sure you will be pleased. The other thing nice about this device is that is actually runs on 12V even though the adapter that comes with it is 120V that steps down to 12V. I found an adaprer on Amazon that provides 12V directly and plugs right in so it is very good for off grid usage as well. Speeds with this device and external antenna are typically much faster then just with the Mobley device.

So far this billing cycle we are at 63GB on one of our 2 Mobleys with 15 days remaining and we are still operating at full speed with no throttling that we have seen.

Paul
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta (400W Solar and Magna 2812 Inverter)
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 3500 (Air Bags & 104 GA Diesel)

9 minutes ago, paul65k said:

The other thing nice about this device is that is actually runs on 12V even though the adapter that comes with it is 120V that steps down to 12V.

The Unite's? Um... you might want to be careful with that. They actually charge on 5vdc. The 120vac wall adapter steps it down to 5vdc and a 12vdc to 5vdc USB port will work just fine, but if you try and pump 12vdc directly into the unit you'll likely let all the blue smoke out. 

19 minutes ago, Yarome said:

The Unite's? Um... you might want to be careful with that. They actually charge on 5vdc. The 120vac wall adapter steps it down to 5vdc and a 12vdc to 5vdc USB port will work just fine, but if you try and pump 12vdc directly into the unit you'll likely let all the blue smoke out. 

I was referring to the thread about the Netgear LTE 4G modem not the Unite sorry for any confusion.

Paul
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta (400W Solar and Magna 2812 Inverter)
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 3500 (Air Bags & 104 GA Diesel)

My main connection to the internet is using a Verizon Jetpack - the Netgear AC791L combined with a WirEng antenna & a Wilson Sleek.  I'm a holdover from the Millenicom days, currently paying $100.07 per month for 20GB (no speed reductions). I've found that Verizon consistently has better coverage than any of the other providers, at least once you get out of the cities and off major highways.

Since it was only $20.00 per month (actually $22.07 with fees, etc) I added a Mobley for those few times that there is AT&T coverage and no Verizon.  I also use it when I'm getting close to the Jetpack GB limit, again if I can find an AT&T tower. 

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

We're on an island in the St Lawrence Seaway until tomorrow, about a mile south of the Canadian border. The AT&T signal is pretty strong here, with good 4G/LTE data speeds on our Unite. Verizon also has good signal strength here, but our Sprint and T-Mobile equipped neighbors are wandering around holding their phones up looking for signals. Some of them have figured out they can get a usable signal if they stand in the road behind our motorhome. I suspect they're getting a little help from our MaxAmp RV booster/repeater... :)

Dutch

16 hours ago, vermilye said:

My main connection to the internet is using a Verizon Jetpack - the Netgear AC791L combined with a WirEng antenna & a Wilson Sleek.  I'm a holdover from the Millenicom days, currently paying $100.07 per month for 20GB (no speed reductions). I've found that Verizon consistently has better coverage than any of the other providers, at least once you get out of the cities and off major highways.

Since it was only $20.00 per month (actually $22.07 with fees, etc) I added a Mobley for those few times that there is AT&T coverage and no Verizon.  I also use it when I'm getting close to the Jetpack GB limit, again if I can find an AT&T tower. 

Would be interested to know if you see any Hotspot speed throttling under the new Verizon changes rolling in this month. As I understand it, my Grandfather'd Unlimited Verizon will not be slowed down while streaming.... (Have not tested this yet. But will compare Fast.com vs Speednet download speeds over the next week or so, to see if I detect this throttling.) 

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

2 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Would be interested to know if you see any Hotspot speed throttling under the new Verizon changes rolling in this month. As I understand it, my Grandfather'd Unlimited Verizon will not be slowed down while streaming.... (Have not tested this yet. But will compare Fast.com vs Speednet download speeds over the next week or so, to see if I detect this throttling.) 

Best,

Smitty

I have not seen any throttling on the Jetpack, never received a notice that I exceeded the 10GB (now 15GB) limit, and was told by a Verizon rep that the transferred Millenicom plan would not be throttled.  Of course I am often in poor service areas where it would be hard to tell that you were throttled.  

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Archived