Mobley vs. Jetpack

I'm interested in hearing the advantages and disadvantages of using one or the other.  Or, are these devices accomplishing completely different tasks?

Thanks. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are going back and forth between the two right now.  So far, the only difference seems to be slightly better speeds on the Mobley than the Jetpack, which is probably just do to where towers are compared to where we are parked.  Plus, the Mobley boots up faster - but then we have an older Jetpack that is a real pain in the .... every once in a while.    Biggest difference is price of the data.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Biggest difference is price of the data.  

How so?

I currently use the Jetpack and I could see how the Mobley could boot up faster.  Does it do it automatically when the vehicle is started?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

With Mobley, power on, green light shows power, count to 15 or so, second green light shows connect.   With our - and I'm stressing OUR - jetpack, turn on and wait until it decides to start its welcoming spiral of dots and then wait and wait and wait until it finally shows the screen and then wait while the computer finally connects.   Then go to the bathroom, come back and see that the Jetpack has decided since you weren't constantly sending/receiving you're done and it disconnects!   The Mobley doesn't do that - at least I haven't had that problem.     

As to price, well $20/month for unlimited is pretty hard to beat.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Mobley is from AT&T car connect at $20/month for unlimited with throttling possible after 22 Gs.  Our Jetpack is Verizon and the price is considerably more.

Just a VERY minor clarification. With the Mobley, high speed data requests are "deprioritzed" after 22G's. Not to be confused with automatic data "throttling" to a set reduced speed once the monthly cap has been reached. As a side note... I'm not aware of anyone having reported any noticable reduction in data speeds beyond their 22gb's per month. 

Just wanted all to know my current experience as someone I chat with from here offline told me about the Mobley.

I currently have AT&T phones with hotspots, we pay $20 a month for 30gb but have unlimited. Throttles back after 30gb and has rollover. That plan is no longer available.

But I was gonna add a Mobley for $20 and get it in addition. Well after 2 hours with online chat and 2 hours on phone...I have confirmed what the online chat person told me.

1) AT&T are out of Mobleys for the next 2-3 weeks.

2) When they come in, the plan will be 22gb for $60.00 and unlimited but throttled back at 22gb and no rollover. The unit will cost $99.99. Unless you get a plan where it will be no charge.

So I guess no Mobley for me. Best Buy is out of stock too. And I don't think $60 is worth it for 22gb. Even at unlimited.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

On 8/4/2017 at 6:41 PM, Dejae said:

Just wanted all to know my current experience as someone I chat with from here offline told me about the Mobley.

I currently have AT&T phones with hotspots, we pay $20 a month for 30gb but have unlimited. Throttles back after 30gb and has rollover. That plan is no longer available.

But I was gonna add a Mobley for $20 and get it in addition. Well after 2 hours with online chat and 2 hours on phone...I have confirmed what the online chat person told me.

1) AT&T are out of Mobleys for the next 2-3 weeks.

2) When they come in, the plan will be 22gb for $60.00 and unlimited but throttled back at 22gb and no rollover. The unit will cost $99.99. Unless you get a plan where it will be no charge.

So I guess no Mobley for me. Best Buy is out of stock too. And I don't think $60 is worth it for 22gb. Even at unlimited.

Not sure who you called.  But this is now the second person that said that the $20 unlimited data is ending.  And people have chimed in that it was still active.  It has been said many times, I guess it is who you speak with.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I was just getting one as a secondary to what I have on my phone. Only because sometimes it is annoying if the phone rings or I have to make a call while on the internet. Then I have to use DH phone. Not the worst in the world but this would have made it convenient. 

I have read on here the numerous times people have said that the $20 was going away. I called like 4 or 5 days ago and they still had them in stock but I procrastinated cause I didn't want it sent to my PMB and then have to wait to have it forwarded to somewhere else. We currently aren't doing more than 2-3 day stays right now. So I thought I would wait. Well starting Sunday, we will be staying put for 2 weeks minimum, so thought it was a good time to order it. So I went online to order, non available. Chatted online, non available. so I looked on Best Buy, non available. So finally called AT&T and they said 2-3 weeks before anymore in stock but that AT&T had told the workers that once we ran out, the plan would change to $60 for 22gb/unlimited. Throttle back after the 22gb. So anyone that is getting one from another store or waiting for AT&T to get more in, will be subject to the new plan. I said but I was just told not even 5 days ago. He said that was cause we still had them in stock. I said I guess I will live with just the unlimited on my hotspot. Not worth $60 to me.

Blessed Travels,

21 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Not sure who you called.  But this is now the second person that said that the $20 unlimited data is ending.  And people have chimed in that it was still active.  It has been said many times, I guess it is who you speak with.  I bought two mobley's as back ups.  If you want to buy one, PM me with an offer.  New in factory sealed box.

This is another example of cs on the left side of the office not knowing what the right side is doing.  Regardless, I will stay with my Verizon jetpack as my past experience with AT&T's coverage/reliability has not been good.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Ok, so I called back again.

This is the answer I got this time.

I currently have an old plan, I paid $20 for 30gb/unlimited which is now 22gb/unlimited, I also have rollover. If I have any of the 30gb left, I get to add it to next month and it goes before the unlimited. Meaning it is not subject to being throttled back. I get this per phone. We have 2 phones on the plan so they each get 30gb/unlimited with rollover.

OK, so, the guy told me, if I want a Mobley, I have to change my plan to the new 22gb/unlimited and add the Mobley to the account for $20 a month. The change from what I have to what it will be, is $3. I would be paying $3 less.

I didn't remember to ask if each device would get 22gb/unlimited or if the devices would share. SO, that is how you get 22gb/unlimited with a Mobley according to this person I spoke to.

I will tell you that I didn't want whining and let me see and let me check for 2 hours again so I asked for a supervisor and when that supervisor came on....I explained quickly and then said, I probably need someone above you. She said, I will explain what I know and then get you my manager. The supervisor and the manager said the same thing.

So....I don't think I will be calling again as I don't think at this time I am willing to give up my current plan, so I guess no Mobley for now anyway.

The manager did tell me, we don't make it a practice to throttle back. It happens when you are in congested areas like a concert or a ballgame or a convention where people are texting alot. twittering, FB posting, sending pictures, instagram and the likes of. Then the ones that have less than 22gb used will get the full service and all past 22gb will get throttled back. Once you leave the congested area, it takes maximum an hour, your phone will go back to full throttle.

I have no idea how much of ANY of the ABOVE IS TRUE. But I am just trying to help the knowledge cause of this thread.

Blessed Travels,

What you're describing is "deprioritizing" where the speed is only dropped down for the period of congestion rather than throttled for the remainder of the plan period. I think we've experienced it a couple of times so far, and the drop to high 3G speeds still handled video streaming with little or no buffering. I don't know about the "1 hour" deal though, since our speed drops only lasted for 5-10 minutes each time. Maybe something else caused them...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

4 hours ago, Dejae said:

I have no idea how much of ANY of the ABOVE IS TRUE. 

From what I know, the "manager" got it half right. The $20 mobley unlimited data plan is a stand-alone device specific plan. It has nothing to do with your other wireless device plans and does not require you to make any changes to your existing plans. I, personally, know of 2 folks (1 being my son) that already had ATT service and added a mobley. Their previous wireless plans remained unaffected and do not "share" data with the mobley.

That was one of their questions since it seemed logical to them they could just buy a mobley outright and have it share data from their existing "unlimited" ATT plan and avoid the extra $20 a month for the mobley plan. No go!

On top of that, in the unlimited mobley plan's fine print it tells you that you may have up to 3 mobley devices on your account. It spells out that each device will have 22gb per device of "non-shareable"... not 66gb combined before being subject to deprioritization.

My personal experiece... I had two mobley plans and no additional ATT services. When I used either and went to check the usage, they were metered seperately. Ie., one showed 3gb of unlimited usage and the other one showed 7gb.

I know there are a couple of gents here that have a similar setup. Running two mobley's for convenience (one home and one for travel) and/or as backups to one another if they experience excessively low bandwidth after one exceeds 22gb's. I haven't heard specifically, but I'm sure they would be able to confirm/deny that their mobley's are metered seperately as well.

Seems pretty clear, and appears to be in practice, that they ARE indeed standalone devices with dedicated standalone plans.

As far as a plan end date... I've heard it rumored for months (I've only heard it mentioned HERE once.. and only recently). In all cases it has proved to be false. ATT goes out of stock... in a month~ish they get more in and new plans continue. I have no illusions that the plan terms won't be changed at some point, but I don't believe it's any kind of "promotional rate" set to expire on such and such a date. Never seen it myself or seen anyone ever able to provide proof of an "end date".

I can confirm what Yarome says about the separate usage metering. The only thing the two devices on our AT&T account share is the billing.

At one time there was a specific promotional plan expiration date of July 17, 2017 shown in the Connected Car fine print, and yes, I did see it myself. Sometime back as that date was approaching, the fine print was changed to the standard "Subject to change without notice" terminology that still remains.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Our Mobley is on a separate $20/month "unlimited" plan from our $70/month AT&T tablet plan.  Right now we are at 26GB of usage, with four days to go, and the Mobley still seems fast.  We also have a 40GB Verizon plan with two phones and a new Jetpack (7730L), so it starts up fairly fast, but I think the Mobley boots faster.  The Mobley is limited to 5 devices.  This is not a problem for us since mostly we hookup to our Pepwave router and it hooks to the Mobely, tablet hotspot or Jetpack as needed.

The current Jetpack plans are either standalone ones at 5GB/$50 or 10GB/$70 or add-ons to your phone plan, mostly $20 more.  If you are on the Verizon unlimited plan the Jetpack will slow way down when you use 10GB on the Jetpack, with some customers seeing the slowdown and others not.  

Edit: If you already have two devices on an AT&T unlimited plan, get the standard mobile hotspot/Mifi device and add it to your plan for $20 more.  It will be a better option than a Mobley, still with a 22GB soft limit, better radios, a battery and it will work in Canada and Mexico.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

All of you are saying that your Mobley is separate from your phone plan but what kind of plan do you have with your phones? Unlimited also?

Blessed Travels,

We've got a Verizon business plan with 10 devices linked.  It is unlimited text and data.  One device is a Jetpack which allows us to stream movies with only two bars of connectivity when we're on the road.  We also have two computers accessing the internet (except when watching a movie :mellow:)  The monthly cost is about $325 per month.  So far I've been real happy.

KodiakJack

It isn't a separate account if its from your 40gb.

But if you are data is rollover than you don't have unlimited according to AT&T.

Can I ask when you did this?

Blessed Travels,

1 hour ago, Dejae said:

KodiakJack

It isn't a separate account if its from your 40gb.

But if you are data is rollover than you don't have unlimited according to AT&T.

Can I ask when you did this?

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that the Mobley data came from our shared 40 GB account.  The Mobley account is a separate 22GB/unlimited account that has been spoken of here many times.  It was my understanding that if I added the Mobley to my existing account then I would have to change out from my grandfathered shared account to another.   

I got the Mobley directly from ATT the middle of last month.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

That is what I was told...that I would have to change out from my grandfathered rollover account to add the Mobley.

That is what you are saying that you did?

I wasn't sure that doing that was to the plus, so I haven't done it.

Blessed Travels,

No. I have 2 AT&T accounts. One with a share plan for our phones and the other with the $20 Mobley plan.  I was told that any change to my existing account would constitute a change and loss of my grandfathered provisions.  Hence I opened a new account for the Mobley.  Hope this helps.

Later,

J

PS The order conformation email I received was dated July 11th.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I asked him that last night, if I could just do a separate account, he said yes but it would cost me like $75 plus to have just a Mobley acct.

Blessed Travels,

Someone had posted a Car Connect Phone number that I read the night before last in the archives and now can't find it. Wonder if they would say differently.

Blessed Travels,

Archived