Winegard ROADTRIP T4 VS. TRAV'LER

Selecting options for an Allegro coach, a choice is offered for either a Winegard ROADTRIP T4 or prep for the TRAV'LER system. It is a one or the other situation.  Please tell me if I understand this correctly. The ROADTRIP would provide satellite reception in-motion or parked, but only offer HD with a Dish Network subscription. The TRAV'LER provides HD satellite reception from either DIRECTV or Dish, but only while parked. If I selected the ROADTRIP and later wanted the functionality of the TRAVE'LER, I would be out of luck, as there is not a Winegard  portable automatic antenna that captures DIRECTV HD. Other than the differences, as I understand them, are there other factors I should consider?    

Me, a stranger? Nah, just a friend you haven't met.

If you select the Travler you must choose your provider up front, and it is not practical to change. The antennas are significantly different. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1 minute ago, Jack Mayer said:

If you select the Travler you must choose your provider up front, and it is not practical to change. The antennas are significantly different. 

Thanks! That is probably why only prep for the TRAV'LER is offered, not the installation of the system.

Keep in mind the Winegard ROADTRIP T4 only has one LNB, so can only 'see' one satellite at a time.  If you want to view one show and record another they must be one the same satellite.  With the Traveler you have a 3 LNB assembly so you can receive programming from all 3 satellites at the same time.  Of course you loose the ability to watch/record while driving, if that is important to you. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

As Al mentioned, the T4 is a single LNB setup, so along with the one satellite at a time limitation, you also will not be able to use any of the Dish multiple tuner Hopper DVR series of receivers. The Trav'ler is capable of being used with the Hopper DVR series receivers...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks, all! Between what I have dug out, and what you have told me, it seems the TRAV'LER prep is a no-brainer. I have no need for in-motion reception, but want the best reception available when parked. Of course, I understand I have to be parked where the satellite dish can "see" the satellites. Since it will be about three months before our motorhome is delivered, there is plenty of time to investigate and mull the Dish/DIRECTV decision. There is some economy in going with Dish, but DIRECTV is what we are used to. 

Be sure to specify how you want your DirecTV to function.   We had it at home, then went to a Camping World to get it installed on the 2005 Georgetown XL we bought used.    It's not the same equiprment as home, and if you don't ask specific questions or make specific requests, you are most likely to get something less than you want.   We did.

If you want "whole house" connectivity (for more than 1 TV) say so.   If you want time-shifting ability, say so.  If you want DVR functionlity, say so.   Fortunately, the Trav'ler is the antenna you need for those.  But get specific on your receivers as well.  Like I said, if you have 2 TV's,  make sure you map out how you expect them to work.  

My understanding was that the prep for the TRAV'LER was not specific to either DIRECTV or Dish Network, but supported either system with separate purchase of the appropriate antenna and receiver. Is that not the case?

14 hours ago, kudzu said:

My understanding was that the prep for the TRAV'LER was not specific to either DIRECTV or Dish Network, but supported either system with separate purchase of the appropriate antenna and receiver. Is that not the case?

That is not correct.  The Direct TV unit (dish and LNB) is heavier and requires more powerful motors to work properly.  This is why you can go from direct to dish, but not the other way around.  This is also why the direct version of the Trav'ler is more expensive than the dish version.

Edited to correct a spell correct issue for LNB

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

8 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

That is not correct.  The Direct TV unit (dish and lab) is heavier and requires more powerful motors to work properly.  This is why you can go from direct to dish, but not the other way around.  This is also why the direct version of the Trav'ler is more expensive than the dish version.

If the build pre-prep only includes pre-installed coax and control wiring, and perhaps some roof reinforcement, I'd think it would be the same for both versions.

Dutch

I don't know anything about the Roadtrip T4.  But we just had the DISH Trav'ler installed with hopper with sling and two wireless joeys.  So we are now able to watch different channels on the three TVs at the same time, record on any of the three TVs at any time and able to watch recorded programs on the three TVs.  These are features that we both wanted since we both like different programs.

The sling on the hopper enables you to watch any of your recorded programs anywhere in the world that you have internet....which I think will be a nice feature the few times a year that we're in hotels or family.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

I don't know if this matters to you, but we have an "in motion" dishtv antenna (pre Roadtrip, I think, but can't recall the name just now) and it is LOUD when searching for a satellite. It is the single LNB type which I think the Roadtrip is as well,  so when switching channels, meaning satellites, you and all in the motorhome will know it. We have an Allegro 34TGA. We are considering something like a Tailgater to allow reception by an antenna NOT on the roof.

Ken

11 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If the build pre-prep only includes pre-installed coax and control wiring, and perhaps some roof reinforcement, I'd think it would be the same for both versions.

This was what I understood to be the case, leaving the decision between the two, along with the price differential Chad Heiser mentioned above, for a later date.

After beginning this thread, I ordered the RV with the TRAV'LER prep. I may still use that, whether DIRECTV or Dish Network, but as some who participated in a subsequent thread I started (Linky) know, I have come to wonder if a tripod mounted antenna that could be sited independently of the RV might be more flexible. I am still stewing about that.

49 minutes ago, kudzu said:

This was what I understood to be the case, leaving the decision between the two, along with the price differential Chad Heiser mentioned above, for a later date.

After beginning this thread, I ordered the RV with the TRAV'LER prep. I may still use that, whether DIRECTV or Dish Network, but as some who participated in a subsequent thread I started (Linky) know, I have come to wonder if a tripod mounted antenna that could be sited independently of the RV might be more flexible. I am still stewing about that.

I made the tripod decision early on since the Trav'ler would have been too limited given the many sites we visit with trees. We also spend the majority of our time east of the Mississippi where quite often the HD locals are only on the Dish eastern arc satellites. Our tripod mounted dish can be switched from one arc to the other in a couple of minutes as needed. That capability also gives us more aiming opportunities through the trees.

Dutch

12 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

...Our tripod mounted dish can be switched from one arc to the other in a couple of minutes as needed. That capability also gives us more aiming opportunities through the trees.

Dutch, thank you for the very substantive and helpful info you have posted in each of the threads I have started trying to understand the details of this general subject.

The appeal to me of the Winegard Pathway X2 antenna is its automatic capability. It sounds like you are getting both more functionality and greater flexibility by using a more manual system. If that is correct, would you mind elaborating on your system? I am not sure I want to bite off a more technical/complicated/manual system, but I want to know about it and, at least, consider it. 

Our current RV satellite/TV system consists of a Dish Hopper with Sling (Hopper 2) feeding a Vizio TV via HDMI, and a tripod mounted Dish 1000.4 multiple LNB dish that as mentioned, I can equip to receive either the Dish eastern arc sats or the western arc sats with a simple two screw and coax LNB swap. We also have an RCA TV in the bedroom that's equipped with an Amazon FireTVstick that has a DishAnywhere app installed that lets it connect to the Hopper in the Living area for independent channel or DVR viewing. The Firestick replaced a Dish Joey that also shared the Hopper programming, but the DishAnywhere app has no monthly fee like the Joey had. When first arriving at a new site, I locate the best aiming placement for the tripod and dish using an app on my phone that displays the satellite positions overlaid on the camera view. For finer aiming, I use a digital meter that lets me know when it "sees" the satellite I have it set for so I can dial the settings in for the best signal level. The tripod is a simple roof mount model that I modified for a no tools needed setup, as are the dish adjustments. I also modified the legs to add leveling screws with a 6" range. The tripod is anchored with either one or two screw anchor dog ties, or 5-gallon bucket partially filled with water, depending on the site conditions. Setting up at each site rarely takes more than 15 minutes, so I don't mind doing it even daily. For travel, the assembled dish and collapsed tripod get stowed in the back of our toad to save time at the next site. For bin storage, the large dish reflector can be quickly detached from the arm assembly using the same "no tools" setup as the dish adjustments. If any of that doesn't make sense to you, let me know and I'll try to clear it up. I can also post photos of the tripod/dish mods if needed.

Dutch

Here is a webpage I did a while back on setting up my ground tripod. TV Dish Setup.  You also follow the buttons on the left for other information on satellite TV.

As a cost perspective, a new dish, a second LNBF,  a great TV4RV.com tripod, a good meter and you will have less invested that a Tailgater and about half of an X2.

The current offering for Dish dishes is the DPP 1000.2.  The DPP 1000.4 has some features and can be found like on eBay.  Either dish works fine and there are WA and EA heads for both.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

"Prep for Winegard Trav'ler"

If you order a coach or 5th wheel with "prep for the Trav'ler" it's just that, not the actual sat dish. The "prep" will work with either the Direct TV or the Dish Network Trav'ler.

What it includes is the control wires for the Trav'ler and coax cable.  Later on you decide on the provider and buy the actual Trav'ler then install it.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

1 hour ago, DKRITTER said:

"Prep for Winegard Trav'ler"

If you order a coach or 5th wheel with "prep for the Trav'ler" it's just that, not the actual sat dish. The "prep" will work with either the Direct TV or the Dish Network Trav'ler.

What it includes is the control wires for the Trav'ler and coax cable.  Later on you decide on the provider and buy the actual Trav'ler then install it.

Thanks, DKRITTER! That is what I did, ordered the TRAV'LER prep, allowing DW to decide between satellite providers later. Since then, as mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, I have begun to wonder if a tripod mounted antenna, that could be positioned independently of the coach, might not make more sense.

Nothing like pulling in and having the Trav'ler automatically lock onto the satellites.  With that said, the ground tripod is an AND setup.  

The tripod gives you freedom of sites.  We ask for satellite friendly sites when we check into campgrounds and find that most campground hosts have little concept of satellite friendly.  If we find the tress are too bad for the Trav'ler, up goes to tripod.

Since we use Dish and prefer HD Broadcast channels, when we are in the east, we use the tripod to get the EA satellites.

Just for the record, on Prince Edward Island, we used the Trav'ler for connecting to the WA.  We could only get SD Broadcast channels but we could get them.  An once in Montana in an incredibly treed site,  we put the Trav'ler into manual mode and locked onto an EA satellite when we could not get a window to the WA satellites.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

On 8/31/2017 at 0:25 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

... a tripod mounted Dish 1000.4 multiple LNB dish that as mentioned, I can equip to receive either the Dish eastern arc sats or the western arc sats with a simple two screw and coax LNB swap... ...We also have an RCA TV in the bedroom that's equipped with an Amazon FireTVstick that has a DishAnywhere app installed that lets it connect to the Hopper in the Living area for independent channel or DVR viewing. The Firestick replaced a Dish Joey that also shared the Hopper programming, but the DishAnywhere app has no monthly fee...  ...The tripod is a simple roof mount model that I modified for a no tools needed setup, as are the dish adjustments. I also modified the legs to add leveling screws with a 6" range. The tripod is anchored with either one or two screw anchor dog ties, or 5-gallon bucket partially filled with water, depending on the site conditions...  ...If any of that doesn't make sense to you, let me know and I'll try to clear it up. I can also post photos of the tripod/dish mods if needed...

Dutch, I asked, if you wouldn't mind, to elaborate on your satellite TV setup. You must not have minded!!! Seriously, thank you!

Do I understand, when you tune to the DISH eastern arc or western arc satellites, you are doing manually, at considerably less expense, what the Pathway X2 antenna does automatically? Though I do not want to give up significant functionality, and I certainly do not like spending money unnecessarily, I HAVE to keep this system as easy and convenient to operate as possible.

I will look into the Amazon FireTVstick. Might as well, Jeff Bezos just about owns my soul already!

If I go with the Pathway X2, or other portable antenna, should I steal your tripod mods, or a subset of them, rather than anything available over the counter?

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Nothing like pulling in and having the Trav'ler automatically lock onto the satellites.  With that said, the ground tripod is an AND setup.  

The tripod gives you freedom of sites.  We ask for satellite friendly sites when we check into campgrounds and find that most campground hosts have little concept of satellite friendly.  If we find the tress are too bad for the Trav'ler, up goes to tripod.

Since we use Dish and prefer HD Broadcast channels, when we are in the east, we use the tripod to get the EA satellites.

Just for the record, on Prince Edward Island, we used the Trav'ler for connecting to the WA.  We could only get SD Broadcast channels but we could get them.  An once in Montana in an incredibly treed site,  we put the Trav'ler into manual mode and locked onto an EA satellite when we could not get a window to the WA satellites.

First, thank you for your earlier response. The website you created provides a LOT of info, maybe even too much for me! I can learn what I choose to dig into, but I am trying not to make a hobby of satellite TV in a motorhome! Perhaps, it is not really as confusing as it appears to me at first glance.

The idea of the TRAV'LER and a portable antenna had occurred to me, but I was trying to talk myself out of the extra expense. Of course, it might go a lot easier with DW, who is also the family CFO, if I tell her, "Mark and Dale say that is really the only way to go." 

1 hour ago, kudzu said:

Dutch, I asked, if you wouldn't mind, to elaborate on your satellite TV setup. You must not have minded!!! Seriously, thank you!

Do I understand, when you tune to the DISH eastern arc or western arc satellites, you are doing manually, at considerably less expense, what the Pathway X2 antenna does automatically? Though I do not want to give up significant functionality, and I certainly do not like spending money unnecessarily, I HAVE to keep this system as easy and convenient to operate as possible.

I will look into the Amazon FireTVstick. Might as well, Jeff Bezos just about owns my soul already!

If I go with the Pathway X2, or other portable antenna, should I steal your tripod mods, or a subset of them, rather than anything available over the counter?

Yes, I do manually aim the dish for the arc that is most appropriate for the site we're on. Right now, for instance, we're in a heavily treed site in northern NY about a mile from the Canadian border, with our dish aimed at the eastern arc sats where we're getting the local channels for the area, plus all of the usual national "cable" channels with ease. I watched two of our neighbors lugging western arc only Tailgaters around to various spots trying to find a signal for the better part of an hour with no success. Another neighbor has a Trav'ler on his roof that I haven't seen deployed since we got here. The big difference between the two arcs here is that the western arc center sat is at an elevation of just 22 degrees, while the eastern arc is at 38 degrees. That 16 degree higher angle made the difference between getting no signal through the trees and a good signal over trees. There are places we stay in Florida where the eastern arc elevation is almost 60 degrees, while the western arc is down at 38 degrees. That's huge when there are trees around!

My tripod mods wouldn't work for the X2 since it has its own tripod design with a platform made for it to attach securely. To give you an idea of the cost difference using a manually aimed dish, our original sat system used a VIP 211K receiver and our current tripod/dish setup. Our total initial equipment cost was just under $250, including both arc capability, coax cables, and misc. hardware items to convert the dish and tripod for a no hand tools needed setup. We've since upgraded and added higher end receivers and signal meters, although that first setup did serve us well for a couple of years.

On edit: We also have a FireTVstick that has the DishAnywhere app installed that we mostly use to feed different channels to the bedroom TV from either the Hopper in our coach or the one we leave at our Adirondack cottage. I don't recommend the stick for regular viewing though, unless you have a very high or unlimited Internet data limit. We have AT&T's "Connected Car" unlimited 4G/LTE plan that serves us well for streaming to the stick from both Dish and Amazon. Sometimes for quick overnight stops, we don't set the dish up at all, and just use the Firestick to stream programs from the cottage Hopper. My wife has even used the Firestick to stream her favorite soap opera to the bedroom TV while we're underway between parks. No need for an in-motion dish here! :D

Dutch

kudzo, before you finalize on dishes I would start with what you want for receivers.  If there is more than one TV and more than one of you, there will be a time where a football game will conflict with a HGTV show.  Also, a DVR function is ideal for RVing as it allows for viewing at times other than when a show airs.

Viewing separate shows at the same time, or recording a show while viewing a show puts you in a probably situation where a single LNBF dish will be problematic, whether a pair of single tuner receivers or a multi-tuner DVR.

And modern TVs just work better  with HD signals.

So the probable choice will be a multi-LNBF headed dish.

So I would start with a tripod dish, and if Dish TV, then get interchangeable EA and WA LNBF heads.  Get a good tripod, and a set of aiming tools, scope and meter.  I did that for years.

As I said nothing like having a Trav'ler automatically aim the dish and for Dish TV, the Trav'ler covers most of the US.  It is all what the CFO approves of.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Archived