Dish brings back distant networks

As of July, Dish Network is once again offering distant networks with only the LA locals available so far for $10/month. The LA DNS is carried in HD on the western arc 119 degree satellite. The NYC locals are also on 119 in SD, making me wonder if they might offer them again as well eventually.

Now Available: Distant Network Service in HD

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If they add NYC and do like they used to do -- offer BOTH coasts -- I'd sign up!  But LA channels won't cut it for us since Prime Time doesn't start until 8:00 PM.  Which means, when we're in AZ during the winter, Prime Time wouldn't start until 9:00 PM, just the time when we take our final walk with the dogs and head off to bed!

I hope this doesn't mean they'll stop changing service addresses so we can pick up local stations!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Remember, NY DNS would be in SD and not PTAT capable.

The time zone issue will keep me using Locals, even when I have to use a tripod instead of the Trav'ler in the East.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

39 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Remember, NY DNS would be in SD and (1) not PTAT capable.

(2) The time zone issue will keep me using Locals, even when I have to use a tripod instead of the Trav'ler in the East.

Two good reasons why DNS is no longer a thing, and no longer worth $10. 

Far easier to just contact DISH and change your Service Address . . . unless DISH is planning on curtailing this service.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

The one thing Dish could add is the ability to self change the Service Address through MyDish.  But Chat has been working really well.

Maybe Dish unbundled Locals to facilitate DNS.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I've asked Dish TS and CS several times to pass on a request for online service address changes to the programmers, but obviously nothing has changed yet. I do prefer using the locals for the area we're in as we travel, and my pre-written script and the chat service make it almost painless most of the time.

Dutch

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:32 AM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Remember, NY DNS would be in SD and not PTAT capable.

We don't record programs and having them in SD would be a tradeoff we'd be willing to make in order to be able to watch programming earlier than we can with the locals.

Does anyone know yet whether or not Dish is still going to allow service address changes in order to pick up locals in a new location?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

We don't record programs and having them in SD would be a tradeoff we'd be willing to make in order to be able to watch programming earlier than we can with the locals.

Does anyone know yet whether or not Dish is still going to allow service address changes in order to pick up locals in a new location?

I've seen nothing so far on any of the Dish related forums that indicated Dish would no longer allow service address changes.

Dutch

While Dish could restrict the number of times you can change the service address in some period and/or force you to provide some justification to changing the service address, they have to allow a service address change.  The service address is tied to where the equipment is installed or located at.  It is also tied to the tax structure of the location. 

Of course the "normal" situation for a change of service address is when a customer moves to a new sticks and bricks location, takes the DVR with them, and the technician comes and installs the new satellite dish at the new location.  We in the RV'ing community are an anomaly in that we take our dish with us when we move and don't need a tech come to install the dish.

The billing address is tied to the address associated with the credit card being billed. It doesn't have to be at the service address.   

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Certainly Dish could do a number things with service address changes, but obviously totally eliminating them would not be practical. Other than just restricting the number of changes allowed in a given period, they could also add on a fee for more than 2 or 3 changes per year. That would keep them in the good graces of the many snowbirds that only make annual fall/spring changes. Personally, I hope they leave things as they are..

Dutch

Archived