trailer tires and tow speeds

jollyrogr

So I think the tires on my trailer are rated for 65 mph.  This is not a problem for me now since my pickup can't really pull the trailer faster than this unless we're going downhill.

My question for you all is this, with an HDT going 65 mph or more would not be a problem.  Do you limit your speed to prevent trailer tire blow outs or do you upgrade your trailer tires so you can safely go faster?  What do you guys use for tires on your trailers? 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all we rarely exceed 65 MPH when towing. The Volvo's sweet spot is about 1,450 RPM which equates to about 63 MPH. That said I have been know to push it up to 70-75 to get past a line trucks on a grade without impeding traffic.

Speaking for myself, I run LT tires on the trailer. Our Newmar Mountain Aire has two axles with duals - eight tires. I replaced the original Bridgestones with Michelin XPS Ribs LT235/85 R 16 six years ago and they have performed flawlessly. 

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I used Goodyear G114s 17.5 inch.  I only drive 60-62 mph not because of tire limits but because I've got no where to go and all day to get there.  Seriously I just see no reason to drive much faster since I'm retired and usually don't travel over 300 - 350 miles in a day.  I believe the G114s are rated at 75mph.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We try to limit our speed to under 65 mph but even that does not prevent blowouts but it does help some. If it is really hot outside, I try slowing my speed down to 60 to keep TMPS temperature down to around 100. 

I cannot increase my size tire unless I change all 6 wheels and even then I can only go to 16" and I think the best ones are the 17-1/2".

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

The 17.5" Goodyear tire being discussed is a commercial tire with a G rating.  Recommended pressure is 110 lbs.  Expensive but reliable for heavier trailers.  Biggest problem with them is that, in my experience, they are only sold at Goodyear's commercial shops, of which there are very few.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

7 hours ago, jollyrogr said:

what makes you say the best ones are 17.5"?

The 17.5" are available in commercial tires which will have better ratings than the 15" ones we currently are using. Others are reporting good usage with them. There are other brands than the Goodyear's too. Like our HDTs it is better to have more capacity than what you need!

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

8 hours ago, jollyrogr said:

what makes you say the best ones are 17.5"?

16" tires are available in up to load range F, rated for 110 psi and a capacity of about 3600#.

17.5 tires are available in load range G, rated for 125 psi and a capaxity of about 4800#.

Depending on your axle configuration and loaded weight, going to the 17.5 may gain you level of margin where you need not fret about your tires.  Our old trailer was borderline w/ 16" so we switched to the 17.5 size.  Our current trailer has about a 30% safety margin with 16" so I'm comfortable with that.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

23 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

16" tires are available in up to load range F, rated for 110 psi and a capacity of about 3600#.

Actually there are G rated 16" rims needing 110 psi.  But since the 110 psi rating usually requires a replacement of regular 16" rims (85 psi), you might as well go to 17.5" rim.  Same cost for rims. The cost for 17.5" tires are usually lower than G rated 16" tires.  Same dimensions.  More manufacturer options.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 minute ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Actually there are G rated 16" rims needing 110 psi.  But since the 110 psi rating usually requires a replacement of regular 16" rims (85 psi), you might as well go to 17.5" rim.  Same cost for rims. The cost for 17.5" tires are usually lower than G rated 16" tires.  Same dimensions.  More manufacturer options.

Many manufacturers have put 110 psi 16" wheels on fivers for many years now. One of them is Montana as my 2012 came from factory with them. My previous 2008 Montana had 80 psi 16" wheels. Some are now also installing G rated 16" Sailun S637 tires as standard from factory.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I tow at 60mph. 

One of the reasons that I switched from a motorhome to 5'er was that 5'ers only have three moving parts that wear out.  They are tires, wheel bearings and brakes.

I just installed a set of tires by Goodyear (see link below).  I had two blowouts on cheap china chit tires.  I actively looked for tires that were made in America.  I also replaced the china chit wheel bearings with Timken wheel bearings and good quality American made grease seals.

These are new production tires, so we will see how they perform.

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html

My trailer has ST225/75 15's on there now. Load range D. I'm thinking an LT tire load range E would be an upgrade since I probably can't fit 17.5's. Would have to measure.

My tires are China crap too. Would replace with something preferably made here. 

I, also, run LT tires.  Any tire marked as a trailer tire is, by qualifying as a "trailer" tire, only officially rated for 65mph.  Maybe it would be ok at more, but it's not "rated" for it.  Supposedly, trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls to handle lateral forces better.  The kind of forces you put on the tire when making a sharp turn with a double or triple axle trailer.

I try to pick LT tires that have a much higher speed rating than my truck can go, a much higher load rating than my trailer needs, and that the manufacturer claims has a high sidewall strength.

I've had regular trailer tires blow on me a couple of times, and even had them lose their tread after sitting for the winter and then just pulling out of their parking spot, leaving the tread behind on the ground.  They were stored inside, and the tires were not aged out or abused.

I've put about 10k miles on the LT tires since I've started using them with no problems so far.  Very happy with them.  My trailer has two axles, is a tag-along (bumper pull) and about 10k lbs.  So take my configuration in context.  It may not be a one-to-one for your configuration.  I wouldn't push anyone else to make the same trailer tire choice as me, but I can report why I switched and that I am very happy with the decision.

Keep in mind 65mph is the MAX!  Your truck has a maximum engine RPM do you won't to drive at that RPM all the time?? No your engine wouldn't last long. 

After multiple blowouts, I was running max weight for my trailer at 62-65mph. 

I upgraded my axles to 7200lb and tires to 17.5 with no regrets. 

Commercial shops carry the 17.5 tires and if your on the fence? I would suggest to just go down and look at the differences, it will blow your mind. 

I did order mine on line as a package deal.  

1 hour ago, Refuzn-To-Grow-Up said:

I tow at 60mph. 

One of the reasons that I switched from a motorhome to 5'er was that 5'ers only have three moving parts that wear out.  They are tires, wheel bearings and brakes.

I just installed a set of tires by Goodyear (see link below).  I had two blowouts on cheap china chit tires.  I actively looked for tires that were made in America.  I also replaced the china chit wheel bearings with Timken wheel bearings and good quality American made grease seals.

These are new production tires, so we will see how they perform.

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html

Wow, they have at least come up with one that seems to meet the requirements people are looking for I: US made, Faster speed rating N is 87 mph. In the smaller trailer tire sizes.

Now hopefully they will hold up better than their Marathon model

Dave

2 hours ago, Shifted said:

Any tire marked as a trailer tire is, by qualifying as a "trailer" tire, only officially rated for 62mph. 

Not true.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

18 minutes ago, Shifted said:

Yes, true.  US standard for ST tire.  Not that a tire's quality can't exceed that rating and be advertised by the manufacturer as a higher speed capable tire, but 65mph speed rating is part of the definition of the ST rating.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/St Speed Rating

First, you didn't specify ST, you simply said  "marked as a trailer tire".

Second, you stated that they were rated at 62 mph, not 65 mph like most ST tires.  That, in itself makes your previous statement not true.

Third, here is a link posted twice earlier in this thread which shows the Goodyear Endurance ST Tire which has an N Speed rating.  I suppose Goodyear could be misrepresenting the rating.  https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html

Fourth, not all trailer tires are ST tires.  Here is a good example of one which is labeled, marketed, and sold by many trailer manufacturers and Goodyear as a trailer tire and is an LT type.  There are others.  http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The discussions about oil, er, tires can go on and on......  Manufacturers tend to float the rules a bit, and standards are, well, not terribly standard.  Just look at the differences in tread width and depth of the same "size" tire by different companies.  Heck, look at Bridgestone, Firestone, and their bargain brand (Cooper?) and see the differences.

BTW, a concern was mentioned above about tire height being more with the 17.5".  They're essentially the same as the 16".

As Mark stated above 16" wheels come in both 80 psi and a higher rating.  Unfortunately, our wheels are the 80 PSI.  But, that still gives me a comfortable margin with roughly 16k spread across three axles.

While the Sailun tires are China made, they seem to be much better than we've come to expect from there.  I have a set on my drive axles on my Mack, and so far am happy with them.  Granted, they don't see the abuse a trailer would dish out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 minutes ago, Shifted said:

Having a bad day?  lol

Relax.  It's not a competition.  Enjoy your Sunday :)

Me?  I'm having a great day.  Didn't think it was a competition, just trying to contribute to the discussion.

Special Trailer tires (ST) without any speed markings on their sidewalls have a maximum speed rating of  65 MPH. 

Manufacturers of ST tires are in the process of identifying their tires with an official speed letter or actually molding the speed restriction into the tire’s sidewall. There is no speed letter for 65 MPH. Speed letter K is for 68 MPH but seldom used. The speed letters follow a tire service description displayed on the tire‘s sidewall. A typical service description may look like this, 117/112N, the N is the speed rating and it is 87 MPH. 

Replacement tires for RV trailers are a complicated proposition. The only official recommendations an owner can get is from the trailer manufacturer. Hardly anyone likes that idea so the internet forums are loaded with misinformation. The best thing an owner can do is find a tire manufacturer like Bridgestone/Firestone that publishes their tire industry standards for replacement tires in a PDF on the internet. I used that name because (IMO) their’s is the easiest to figure out for trailer tires (any design).

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

I'm running Hercules, double capacity of the axle with the tires and 75mph speed rating. Very happy with them, 4,500 miles so far on this trip and temps have been 106+ through South Dakota. Much more reasonable than the Goodyears and the Continentals as well price wise.

46.png

HERCULES HERCULES H-902 235/75R-17.5

Details
  • Tire Size: 235/75R-17.5
  • Part #: 59546
  • Serv. Desc.: 143 L 
  • Sidewall: BW 
  • Load Range: H (16 Ply)
Pricing
Qty:

per tire

$212.92

Calc. Shipping

Set of 4$851.68

FET : $23.67 per tire

As low as $75 a month.
10% Off Commercial Tire Summer Sale
ADD TO CART

Year                                                                     2018                                                                     2017                                                                     2016                                                                     2015                                                                     2014                                                                     2013                                                                     2012                                                                     2011                                                                     2010                                                                     2009                                                                     2008                                                                     2007                                                                     2006                                                                     2005                                                                     2004                                                                     2003                                                                     2002                                                                     2001                                                                     2000                                                                     1999                                                                     1998                                                                     1997                                                                     1996                                                                     1995                                                                     1994                                                                     1993                                                                     1992                                                                     1991                                                                     1990                                                                     1989                                                                     1988                                                                     1987                                                                     1986                                                                     1985                                                                     1984                                                                     1983                                                                     1982                                                                     1981                                                                     1980                                                             
                                 Make                             
                                 Model                             
                                 Option                             

46.pngHercules H-902 235/75R17.5

Size UTQG Max. Load Inflation Pressure Tread Depth Tire Weight Rim Width Range Sect. Width Tread Width Overall Diam
235/75R-17.5 N/A 12,621 lbs 125 psi 17/32nds 63 lbs 7" 9" N/A 31"

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived