Sewer flies

Broncohauler

We're living in our trailer for the last six weeks while doing a full house remodel. 

I'm hooked up to our dump at my house and we ARE on a septic tank. Over the last week we are having sewer flies coming out of the toilet. I am hooked up all the time to my dump, but only open the gate valve for dumping. I'm pretty sure they originally came from my home septic tank?

Any ideas on how to handle this WITH OUT hurting the house septic tank?

I just know tried filling the bowl with water and a cup of bleach, then flushing just the bowl. I'll see what happens in a couple hours. 

Try putting a wood block under your sewer hose to form a sort of 'S' trap before it goes into the dump port. Or if you have the hose on a support frame just leave a dip in it at the port so there's water trap to block the flies.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Be careful not to put to much bleach in your septic as it will kill the good bacteria.  When we  get bugs I spray yard guard into the toilet with the bowl valve open then close it when I think the little buggers have had enough.  Takes care of them.  If they come back...repeat.   Like you we only open black tank valve to dump. 

If your tank drain valves are closed you shouldn't have any thing coming up the sewer hose into your tanks. The standing water in your hose may provide a breeding ground for insects and such. P-traps are good for inside drains, not so much for outside.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If you are only finding them coming in to your rig thru your toilet, and you are only opening your black tank valve when dumping, then there should be no way they are coming up your connection to the septic tank.  They are probably coming into your tank thru you vent pipe.  Not sure why they are coming up into your toilet though.   OK.  I forgot.  I no longer have the ball style toilet anymore (two macerator toilets), so I see how they could come up thru the hole when you flush.  What does the top of your vent pipe look like?  Is there a cap of some sort on it?  Could you put a wire mesh around it to keep the flies out?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

On 7/30/2017 at 11:07 AM, Broncohauler said:

But they are now breeding in my black tank. 

You would probably get more and possibly even better answers to the question if it were posted in the General Forum since this is an issue that most of us either have dealt with or will in the future.  Since I don't own a heavy truck, I seldom read this particular forum. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 8/9/2017 at 0:32 PM, HERO Maker said:

Did you discover anything more on your system?

Still have problems, but not as bad. 

I've tried a small amount of bleach in the tank. And have tried spraying raid in the toilet flap letting it sit overnight. 

This weekend I'll try dumping and hosing it out again. 

In a couple weeks we're heading to BigBear mt 

I'll try filling the tank half full of water and dawn dish soap for the drive up there. 

Maybe it will help clean it out. 

Archived