Replacement Mattress

A couple of the older threads on this subject are closed, but I am getting some good info from them.  The Denver Mattress, "upgraded plush" that came with our StarCraft is not going to cut it.  It is a coil spring with a pillow top design... not so much in the springs or pillow top department mind you :lol:.  A standard 60" x 80" Queen will fit our bed platform.  We're debating a full foam design or coil spring with foam top design, but wondering about weight.  We have an all latex & soy bean foam king bed at home we like - but wow is it ever heavy.   Only two of us and we travel pretty light, so what we add in mattress weight would just lower our personal cargo limit accordingly.  For those that have switched from the OEM to foam or hybrid, did you notice a significant increase in weight?

Adding a foam topper of depth to get some true comfort would increase height such that it would not be flush with the nightstands.  I'm looking at the Mattress Insiders 5.5" Elation or 8" Luxury CoolMax beds.  Anyone on the forum using these and how do you like them?  https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress.html

We don't like beds that make you feel as though your in a mold or that trap heat. If anyone has made an upgrade that don't have these issues, I'd like to know what you decided on and how you like it.

We replace ours with this:

Brentwood Home Bamboo Gel 9 Memory Foam Mattress, Made in California, RV Queen through Amazon

When they say firm, they are not kidding, but we like it.  Do not know the weight.  Nice thing about it is absolutely zero odor

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

We have a sleep number bed in our new 5er.  My wife likes it better than our tempur pedic at home.  She says it sleeps cooler.  I like it because it is very light.  It is basically a couple of air chambers with a pillow top around it (there is a little more to it than that, but you get the idea).  I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are being weight conscious.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Five years ago, we decided to go with a MobilePlush™ Eco Green 8” Natural Latex RV Mattress ‘, Queen size, 60” x 80”.   This has turned out to be an extremely wise decision... After 4 1/2 years of Fulltiming, it still gives us a great night's sleep.    We have no problem with the Latex mattress holding heat.   Indeed, it is far more comfortable than our high-price pillowtop mattress at our S&B house.   The dimension size fits our motorhome Queen bed perfectly. 

www.plushbeds.com

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Don't remember the name but ours is gel infused memory foam. Not too warm but is very firm. Causes me enough discomfort that I toss and turn from areas getting sore. I am normally a hard sleeper. Wife hates it. We just gave up on getting a comfortable one. Not very heavy. Think it 8". 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Our RV came with a very well made mattress but it was very stiff, almost like laying on the floor or a board. Some spring but too hard. We added a 4" memory foam pad to it and we found that works very well for us now. But the perfect choice of mattress is a very subjective thing and chances are that you and I would not choose the same one. Good luck with your search! 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

No more springs for me, especially for an RV mattress which is often fairly thin.  I went to overstock and found an absolutely perfect foam mattress.  It is a full queen only about 6 inches thick.  The bottom 4 inches are dense foam and the top 2 are a softer foam.  The top was called memory foam but I don't think that fits.  It is more of a regular foam.  As I remember it was either a Sealy or a Serta brand mattress and was only $400 delivered.

Technomadia did a nice write-up on their two mattress searches - http://www.technomadia.com/2017/06/do-you-have-to-stick-with-your-crappy-rv-or-boat-mattress/ .

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

On 7/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, Chad Heiser said:

We have a sleep number bed in our new 5er.  My wife likes it better than our tempur pedic at home.  She says it sleeps cooler.  I like it because it is very light.  It is basically a couple of air chambers with a pillow top around it (there is a little more to it than that, but you get the idea).  I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are being weight conscious.

1X

Donated the high-end RV King mattress that came with our rig to Salvation Army and got a Sleep Number.  Love it!

Later

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Have had the sleep number in both of our 5th wheels also have one in the S&B.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I agree on the Sleep Number. I bought one for the current 5er and ordered the new 5er with a new one. It took me a few days to find my sleep "number" but once I got it dialed in my back feels better and I sleep great.

I tried a memory foam topper for the original mattress and it was nice...but hot. The only way I would go back to foam is with the stay cool thing on it.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We decided on the Mattress Insider, Luxury CoolMax 8.  It arrived today and was in full shape in 20-30 minutes... which is pretty amazing considering how they come rolled inside a plastic sleeve.  Very little odor and now my butt no longer hits the plywood deck! :lol:   It has a plush side or a firm side to choose from; both with the CoolMax covering.  The quality looks very good and it fits perfect.  We will be trying it out prior to the 30 day "like it or your money back" guarantee is up... really do not expect to exercise that.

IMG_7863.JPG

Tomorrow we pick up our innerspring mattress at the Original Mattress Factory.  We have one of their mattresses on the queen bed at home and like it just fine.  It's flippable and has built-in handles on the side.

Our Damon pusher has a short queen.  OMF will make custom sizes for a 50-dollar charge.  In the Classic line, they can make it 73.5 inches long which is just right for the Damon.  Ordered on Monday, pick-up on Friday.  My wife tried all the mattresses in the showroom without looking at the prices, and lucky me, like the least-expensive the best.

One feature they put in all of their king mattresses is a built-in hinge for easy access.  They are doing that to our short queen at no extra charge.  This will make getting it into the back of the pusher a heck of a lot easier.  The conventional innerspring that was in there was a beggar to remove, especially since it has no handles.  We will shove it back into the living room for the trip to OMF, who is taking it off our hands for five bucks.

Out the door for less than 400 bucks, and a 10-year warranty.  If you have one of these in your town or along your travels, i think it is a good deal.  A local RV place offered us a Denver foam for well over 600 dollars.  Pass.

https://www.originalmattress.com/locations

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

Archived