Hello to all

eddie1261

I have jumped into a few threads that were not specifically about the RV itself, and never really did introduce myself. Thus far I have had conversations with Kirk and BarbaraOK, both of whom know what they are talking about and their input was quite valuable. So here's my story.

As you can deduce from my nickname, my name is Eddie. I currently live in northeast Ohio. I recently turned 66, and realized that after retiring at 62 to TRAVEL, 4 years later I had done absolutely zero TRAVEL. The problem has been that I can't afford to both keep a house and the expenses that go with it and TRAVEL. So, I made a decision to buy an RV, sell the house and TRAVEL. This is a beautiful country and I have seen none of it. That has to change.

So I found this 25 ft RV, a 2000 Sunseeker with one slide. 2000 kind of threw me initially, but it has 34,500 miles on it, and in looking at the bag of documentation in it, I see the records, and this thing has been babied. My initial thought was to go cheap and buy an old unit, but a friend convinced me to kill the inner Cheap Slovenian and do it right.

In working out the financing, I presented my trade in and told them I had $5000 in cash in addition to my trade. About a week later, the finance department called and said they needed $2000 more down. I explained that I did not have any more to put down, and if that was the case, I guess the deal is dead. Unless they could give me $2000 more for my trade in to make the math work, the deal was off. I also pointed out that if the manager did not go for that, they should wait a day to call me back, because I refuse to get bad news on my birthday (and it WAS my birthday). So, in 10 minutes they called me back to say that they went for it.

On the day I went to sign paperwork and pick it up, I had a walk through. During that walk through I said "Start the generator". It did not start. We went outside, lifted the door, and the agent tried to start it from there (I knew that would not matter), and again it did not start. I suggested he hit the primer button. When he did gas poured out. I pointed and said "That's a deal breaker." and walked away. The salesman, not to happy about losing a sale, came running and asked that I let the techs look at it. I told him he had one hour. About 20 minutes later I heard a discussion in the hallway about how  there was a new carb coming in on UPS for that generator. I walked around that corner and said "You knew about this enough days ago to order a new carb and you were going to sell this to me ANYWAY??? What kind of thieves are you here?"  So fast forward, it went into the next week, and they took out the old Generac and put in a newer but used Onan. I have started that generator every other day since I got the thing and it started fine every time.

I am now doing my research about clubs to join, already got the free National Parks pass for seniors (and I am also a disabled veteran), and all of that. Been fun learning about that, as well as solar energy. I now know more than I care to about solar! I have made my decision about what I will buy, and it will be a good system.

I am in a decent place financially. While I don't have money, I have credit!! I have my SS and a VA disability check every month, so I will never be destitute. With the mortgage gone, the bills that go with a home gone, an RV payment far smaller than the mortgage and car payment were, gasoline becomes my major expense, and I will be okay barring major calamities on the RV.

I retired from a career as an IT Network Engineer and have a BA in Music as well as an Associate in computer sciences. I worked in music until age 43 when the IT career began. So rest assured that networking inside the RV will be on point!! 3 computers (they all do different things - TV streaming, music studio, everyday use), a laptop and a tablet all connecting to a wireless router.... That part is good.

The info I have been getting in threads about mail, when to use campgrounds, that sort of thing, has been great. For example, I have no idea how long my fresh water tank should last. I have no idea how many, um, "flushes", until I have to dump. I don't know how big my gray water tank is. I have done some testing by watching the gauges as I ran the sink water for 20 seconds and watching how the level indicators changed. That kind of thing. I am quite concerned about driving the thing. I have not driven anything this long since my Army days back in 1972. The upside there is that I last owned an FJ Cruiser, 18.5 ft long and 8 feet wide. The wheel base is not that much different. However, when I DO go do my initial test camping nights, I will also hit a mall parking lot and practice backing down the white lines, getting a feel for how wide it is by driving with that white line in my right mirror, them my left, working on keeping it straight and such. The backup camera works, so there's that. Just have to stay in the right lane for the rest of my life!!!

But that's the story of one of the newer newbies! Looking forward to chatting with more of you. I am so happy to see how willing everybody is to share their experiences. While each poster\s specifics may not apply, the basic concepts will.

Be well, everyone.

Edited to add: I now know my fresh water tank holds 50 gallons and both the gray and black tanks hold 39 gallons. I am now in search of the bypass valve for the water heater. It's all about the journey.....  :D

I have not yet weighed it. The computers will weigh in at maybe 40 pounds in total. If I am cutting weight tight I can put in 5 less gallons of water. As I read user build stories, people are adding 325 pounds of batteries for their solar. Maybe I can drop 20 pounds and get another one!!    ^_^

Can you elaborate on what about that relatively tiny bit of weight concerns you so I know what about that consideration I need to address?

Thanks!

Edit to add: I went through the pile of manuals and found that it is 14,500 pounds. 

First off, welcome to the RVnetwork forum.  We are here to help.  (I know you have been here a while, just not sure anyone welcomed you.)

Also welcome to the RV'ing community.  It is a different kind of life style which many, many folks love. 

I doubt the 3 computers are going to overload your RV. 

The 14,500 pounds is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Record) and somewhere in the manuals it will tell you the max weight for the front axle and the rear axle.  You really should (must) not exceed the GVWR. 

By weighing the RV now before you have put all your gear in it you will know what your CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) is. That is everything you put in it.  People, fresh water, water in your black tank, gas tank etc.  Your CCC is the difference between your GVWR and what you weigh at the scale. To weigh the RV do a search for "cat scales".  They are in truck stops.  To weigh the rig put the front tires on the fartherest forward platform and the rear tires on the platform behind it.

Did you check the date codes on the tires?  If not do a internet search for "tire date codes" and check the date of manufacturer.   If they are older than 5-7 year you really should put new tires on, even if the look fine.  Note: the date code is only on one side of the tire.  That means the date code on your rear tires could be between the tires and hard to find. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

10 hours ago, Al F said:

To weigh the RV do a search for "cat scales".  They are in truck stops. 

This is really only part of the job as you also need to know the weight on each wheel, which can be done by weighing a second time with only one wheel of each axle on the scale pad (centered if possible) if you are at a scale that doesn't have any side barriers. If you can't find one like this, you should take advantage of the Escapee Smart Weigh at the first opportunity, or some other similar program. Weight distribution is critical to good handling and to tire safety.

10 hours ago, Al F said:

Did you check the date codes on the tires? 

Very important! Tire manufacturers stop all warranty support at 5-7 years of age for good reason. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 7/28/2017 at 1:48 PM, eddie1261 said:

Can you elaborate on what about that relatively tiny bit of weight concerns you so I know what about that consideration I need to address?

Edit to add: I went through the pile of manuals and found that it is 14,500 pounds. 

What the manual says it weighs and what it actually weighs can be different depending on what modifications were made.

We once bought a motorhome that only had 800+ pounds of carrying capacity. Forty pounds of computer would have meant less food and water. After that we weighed each motorhome before we bought it.

But, mostly the three computers made me wonder what else you plan to bring in case that was an indicator of not having thought about carrying capacity. It had nothing to do with the computers themselves. We carried two computers, two phones, and a tablet in that 800 pounds. But we got rid of the TV and one cabinet and traded my jeans for lightweight cotton slacks. It all depends on what you value enough to make the tradeoffs once you realize tradeoffs will be needed.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Got it. I live light NOW with a lot of excesses and repetitions, all of which will be pared away as I prep. And it's just me and the dog. Her food comes 15 pounds at a time, and all I eat is frozen fish, frozen veggies, and oatmeal. 

One of my big things is that I am absolutely anal, and probably OCD (though that should be called CDO, so the letters are in order - like they are supposed to be) about putting things away. My label maker has a label on it that says LABEL MAKER. That leads to me owning exactly 2 plates, 4 bowls, and 2 glasses, and 4 sets of silverware. If I have very little of that stuff, I MUST wash it every night or not have clean dishes and utensils. And if the DVDs somehow get out of alphabetical order I need to take a sedative! I once got out of bed at 2:30am because I had left a bowl in the sink, and bowls don't belong in the sink. They belong in a cabinet. I swear to you that I got up, washed and dried that bowl, put it away, and THEN was able to sleep. Where I grew up, we had roaches and rodents, so it was beaten into my head that the kitchen remain spotless at all times to deny the pests of food. Sealed kitchen trashcan with a lid that locks on, trash cans outside my house have tight bungee cords holding the lids on. No raccoons in MY yard. We were so poor that trash can space was at a premium (4 people, 1 outside trash can) so I was told that cans were to have both the top and bottom removed and they be crushed flat before they went into the trash. And that was before aluminum. Picture a 6 year old kid trying to crush a steel can flat....

So, minimalist, and always orderly.

And your blog is extremely well written. I mean, truly outstanding writing. Were you a writer in your working life?

7 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

That leads to me owning exactly 2 plates, 4 bowls, and 2 glasses, and 4 sets of silverware.

So, minimalist, and always orderly.

And your blog is extremely well written. I mean, truly outstanding writing. Were you a writer in your working life?

It sounds to me like you, your dog, and your stuff will fit into a small rig just fine.

Thank you. Writing is one of the ways I made money over the years but I mostly write because I enjoy doing so. And by doing it here I get to tell others how I think they might live their lives better. ;)

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

13 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

One of my big things is that I am absolutely anal, and probably OCD (though that should be called CDO, so the letters are in order - like they are supposed to be) about putting things away.

While not all of us are that way, it is a way of life that will make living in a small RV less difficult to accomplish. As you downsize, I do suggest that you save room for a few hobby items as once you make the RV your home there will be days when you just want to sit and not travel. Remember that when you live every day in your RV it is not like one long vacation but a lifestyle and those things which you most enjoy now will likely continue to be favorite pastimes, even if you modify them to fit your new life better. For example, we traveled with my scroll saw and wood tools and Pam's two sewing machines and all of them were used at times. Some activities are just a part of our personalities and occasionally need to be indulged. 

Understood Kirk, and that base is covered. All I do as a hobby is music, which was my professional life for MANY years. I have done one CD of my own work and have slowly been writing the next. That being said, I will be bringing 2 keyboards, a stand for them, 2 guitars, 2 small amps, mics and cables. One of the computers has Pro Tools on it (the industry standard recording studio software) so I can set up shop and write when I feel like it.  And should the mood hit me, I will have enough gear where I can find a small coffee shop and do a show every now and then for 50 bucks and tips. (So, essentially, for 50 bucks! LOL!!) Music and creative writing are the only hobbies I have now. Woodworking came and went for me after about 10 years. Sold a table saw, a planer, a router and stand.... all of it. I am actually looking forward to seeing what fresh air and new sites do for my songwriting creativity. The last CD was mainly inspired by a series of women breaking my heart and crushing my spirit. Songs flow freely when you feel broken. :D

Shameless plug. You can order my CD, Saddle Sores, here.

2 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

I am actually looking forward to seeing what fresh air and new sites do for my songwriting creativity.

Do you happen to remember Mannheim Steamroller and the Fresh Aire series of albums? Perhaps you can create the next series of that sort. 

44 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Do you happen to remember Mannheim Steamroller and the Fresh Aire series of albums? Perhaps you can create the next series of that sort. 

One of our favorites!

Linda Sand

7 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Do you happen to remember Mannheim Steamroller and the Fresh Aire series of albums?

I sure do. Chip Davis was from just a couple of hours from where I live. Funny thing was that SO many people only remember the Christmas stuff, to the point where when they played in SUMMER the crowd would be yelling out for Christmas music. And they are SO much more than a Christmas music band! Chip is a great arranger.

Archived