Buying an RV out of state

Jonathan55

I travel about 2-3 months at a time. Last year I left my class B in Tucson for January till April 1st so didn't have to winterize. This year I'm searching for a small class C to get more storage. If I buy something at a show or dealer out West and still live in Ohio where do I register. I bought a car in Florida a few years ago and had to take it to the BMV in Ohio to have someone come out and verify the VIN before I could register it in Ohio. 

If I buy something out West I don't want to have to drive to OH for this verification thing. 

Can I register it in a state I don't live in full time?

Thanks for any ideas,

Jonathan

2 hours ago, Jonathan55 said:

Can I register it in a state I don't live in full time?

The catch is that you need an address in the state of registration. Some states, like TX, SD, & FL will let you use a mail forwarding address for vehicle registration, but many do not. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Also be aware that you may get double taxed. Some states accept that you paid sales tax in the state you bought it from and some do not, forcing you to pay taxes in both states. My state, Michigan is good. Don't know about Ohio.

18 hours ago, Jonathan55 said:

I bought a car in Florida a few years ago and had to take it to the BMV in Ohio to have someone come out and verify the VIN before I could register it in Ohio. 

Will Ohio accept a VIN verification from someplace in the state where you purchase the vehicle?  Like maybe a police station or somewhere else?  That way, you could register the vehicle in Ohio and not have to worry about driving it back just for that.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

22 hours ago, Jonathan55 said:

I travel about 2-3 months at a time. Last year I left my class B in Tucson for January till April 1st so didn't have to winterize. This year I'm searching for a small class C to get more storage.

Are you going to leave the Class C in AZ or are you eventually going to drive it back to OH after your 2-3 months of travel?  If leaving it, does the place you leave it have an address you can use for the registration?  If driving back to OH after your travels, see if you can get a 90-day temp tag.

There are always options. Unfortunately they are not always good options.

Archived