RV Storage near Los Angeles

mikelynne

Hi all

We are full timers from Australia looking to put our A Class into storage near LAX airport.

Asking fellow RVers for suggestions on a good storage facility that is in the vicinity of LAX.  As we need to fly back to Australia for 2 months late August.

Thanks

Mike & Lynne

Gulf Stream, Sunvoyager. A Class 8368

I don't know what you consider near, but if you take the 405 freeway from LAX into the San Fernando valley, go almost to the end of the 405, and on the left (west) side of the road is a big reservoir. Right next to this reservoir is a huge RV/boat storage place. I know they would have a spot for you; I kept my boat there for years. That's what they are- an RV storage place. You can go back south about 5 miles, and right off the 405 in Van Nuys is the Flyaway bus. There you can catch a bus to LAX for about ten bucks. Way better than having to drive to the airport. Now if there's no traffic, you can make the drive from LAX to the end of the 405 in about 20-25 minutes. But there's never no traffic. It could take anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2-3 hours to make that drive during rush hour; which is just about all day and night long anymore. Good luck to you!

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

On 27/07/2017 at 0:15 AM, Lou Schneider said:

RV storage is in short supply in the greater Los Angeles area.  I suggest looking around Las Vegas and then taking a short flight from Las Vegas to LAX that dovetails with your main flight.

Anything in the Los Angeles area will be expensive and a long ride away from LAX.

Thanks Lou

3 hours ago, tdst51 said:

I don't know what you consider near, but if you take the 405 freeway from LAX into the San Fernando valley, go almost to the end of the 405, and on the left (west) side of the road is a big reservoir. Right next to this reservoir is a huge RV/boat storage place. I know they would have a spot for you; I kept my boat there for years. That's what they are- an RV storage place. You can go back south about 5 miles, and right off the 405 in Van Nuys is the Flyaway bus. There you can catch a bus to LAX for about ten bucks. Way better than having to drive to the airport. Now if there's no traffic, you can make the drive from LAX to the end of the 405 in about 20-25 minutes. But there's never no traffic. It could take anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2-3 hours to make that drive during rush hour; which is just about all day and night long anymore. Good luck to you!

Do you know the name of this storage yard?

thanks

mikelynne- I'm sorry, I've wracked my brain and just can't recall the name of the place. I do remember that it's at the north end of Balboa Blvd.

Honda eu2200i generators

I lived on Balboa Blvd. for 5 years and I don't recall seeing any storage yard at the north end.  Part of the problem in Los Angeles is RV storage yards are being forced out of business by rising land costs.  The latest crisis came when Costa Mesa decided to redevelop the El Toro Marine base a couple of years ago and kicked out over 2000 RVs that we were stored on the decommissioned runways.  They had to go somewhere and pretty much filled up the other storage lots.

If you go on Google Maps you can search for RV storage in a given area. There's nothing close to LAX but you can find storage in the San Fernando Valley.  From there you're looking at taking a taxi to the Flyaway bus terminal next to the 405 freeway, then riding a bus for an hour or so to get to LAX.  Or renting a car and using that to get to the airport.

If you're going that route, take a look at https://www.usstoragecenters.com/self-storage/california/chatsworth/us-storage-centers/138

It's indoors and secure, probably about a 20 - 30 minute cab ride to the airport bus and pretty typical of what's available in the Los Angeles area.

13 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

The latest crisis came when Costa Mesa decided to redevelop the El Toro Marine base a couple of years ago and kicked out over 2000 RVs that we were stored on the decommissioned runways. 

Ahhhhh...Lou - the decommissioned MCAS El Toro is in the city of *IRVINE*, quite a ways from Costa Mesa, LOL!

When the recession sidelined some of the "Great Park" plans,  Irvine decided to build more homes in the area/s adjoining the RV storage area/s - which had 2500 RVs, boats, etc. in "residence".  The land was leased by the city to the storage operator. Although not a part of the development, Irvine city "wisdom" dictated the RV storage would be an eyesore for the new homeowners and new high school which were under construction nearby. (That's pretty much "SOP" for "anything" Irvine!).

Anyway - Lou is correct about storage near LAX!  As indicated, your best bet is the San Fernando Valley - which encompasses several cities, all are part of Los Angeles County. 

There are some cities/areas closer to LAX, that *may* have RV storage -  but check the locations carefully for *security* - some may be in somewhat "less than desirable" areas!

Another possibility would be at -or near- Ontario Int'l Airport. It's an alternate to/for LAX during bad weather & should have connecting bus service.  A poster on one of the forums actually found RV storage in/on the airport proper.

IMO - Storage  in the Ontario area would be a good choice, if available.

A couple years ago I was looking for a place to store our RV while gone for a couple weeks to Hawaii.  I found a three that would have worked out good but didn't use them because a friend offered to let us keep it in their driveway.  You might try:

ExtraSpace Storage, 10753 Artesia Blvd. Cerritos, CA 90703, 562-865-5128

Pioneer RV Storage, 16703 Pioneer Blvd, Artesia, CA, 562-924-1583

Chapman RV Storage, 7581 Chapman Ave, Garden Grove, CA, 714-799-9338

About 5 years ago we left our trailer at an RV storage place near Disneyland Anaheim but when I checked 2 years ago they were only taking long-term rentals.  When we did that it worked out very good for us by arranging to have Super Shuttle pick us up at the RV storage lot and take us directly to LAX.  I've used Super Shuttle many times for business travel and also for vacation travel and they've never let me down - always get me to the airport on time.  The drivers seem to know all the tricks for getting around bad traffic.

With all of the above storage places it's hit or miss - sometimes they have space available that will accommodate your rig and sometimes they don't.  If they can't help you ask them for suggestions about other places you might check - they seem to often know al lot about other good possibilities.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Thank you all for your suggestions, I ended up moving the search further out.

I found a place in Bakersfield, Bakersfield Jet Center at the airfield.Operated by  Loyds Aviation

Cost is $ 60 per month up to 40 feet uncovered or $ 100 per month up to 40 feet covered.  This site has a dump station.

We will store the motorhome then get a rental car and drive to the air terminal.

Distance is about 115 miles, about 2 hours travel time after peak hour.  Flight leaves at 11 pm.

Again thanks for all of your posts.

Happy travels

Michael

Sounds like a great solution. But...if you think you're going to get to LAX in a little over 2 hours , you're probably going to be late. I think international flights require you to be there 3 hrs. early. Monday-Friday 5:00am-10pm- stop and go all the way. Good luck!

Honda eu2200i generators

8 hours ago, mikelynne said:

Thank you all for your suggestions, I ended up moving the search further out.

I found a place in Bakersfield, Bakersfield Jet Center at the airfield.Operated by  Loyds Aviation

Cost is $ 60 per month up to 40 feet uncovered or $ 100 per month up to 40 feet covered.  This site has a dump station.

We will store the motorhome then get a rental car and drive to the air terminal.

Distance is about 115 miles, about 2 hours travel time after peak hour.  Flight leaves at 11 pm.

Again thanks for all of your posts.

Happy travels

Michael

You will not make it to LAX from Bakersfield in two hours........no way, no how!

Another option......Sacramento also has very affordable indoor storage (valet service) and is about a 1 hr. flight to LAX.  A flight from Bakersfield to LAX might also be an option.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

On 31/07/2017 at 5:41 AM, tdst51 said:

Sounds like a great solution. But...if you think you're going to get to LAX in a little over 2 hours , you're probably going to be late. I think international flights require you to be there 3 hrs. early. Monday-Friday 5:00am-10pm- stop and go all the way. Good luck!

Flight leaves at 11 pm.  Have booked the rental car for 1 pm.  Have given myself a 7 hour window to get there.

Will update you all once I get to the airport.

Flight will be late August.

On 31/07/2017 at 7:53 AM, JCZ said:

You will not make it to LAX from Bakersfield in two hours........no way, no how!

Another option......Sacramento also has very affordable indoor storage (valet service) and is about a 1 hr. flight to LAX.  A flight from Bakersfield to LAX might also be an option.

You're right I since checked with someone else who has done it.

As I replied to the previous post, I have allowed myself 7 hours to get to the airport.

8 hours ago, mikelynne said:

You're right I since checked with someone else who has done it.

As I replied to the previous post, I have allowed myself 7 hours to get to the airport.

Flight leaves at 11 p.m. and it's international so you are supposed to be there by 8 p.m.  If you're picking up the rental car at 1 p.m. I would suggest heading straight to LAX.  You're going to get in to LA right about the time the evening commute starts.  There will be two of you so you can get in the commute lanes but often they're moving slower than the regular lanes.  Just know....the LA traffic is never exagerated.....it really is just that bad and you will spend much of it flat stopped, on the freeway.

Good luck and safe travels in your journey home.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

Archived