New Vs Used

Cookie in Texas

I have personally had very good luck buying used items; from mechanical equipment to cars to RV's.  You do have to pay attention and do your homework, but I don't mind that... for me it's part of the fun.  I certainly would be taking a hard look at the $10-15K savings you noted. I find the depreciation curve on RV's to be very steep and one that I simply chose not to pay for.  Even though we can afford to buy the same items new, I'm frugal and just cannot get past taking the loss.  There are times where it makes sense, but for us that's been the exception.  Good luck with your purchase!

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, Cookie in Texas said:

Thanks for everyone's help.  We probably won't get serious until the weather cools down.  It's miserable to look at RV's when it's so hot out!

Thanks especially for the link to PPL Motorhomes.  That looks like a great option.

But it's the best time to check out just how well the AC works :lol:.

17 minutes ago, freestoneangler said:

I find the depreciation curve on RV's to be very steep and one that I simply chose not to pay for. 

In my experience, the depreciation runs about 10% of the current retail value each year. I bought my first motorhome at 3 years old and kept it for 9 years. We bought the second one new and kept it for 14 years. In both cases, the amount recovered fell well within the range expected. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

22 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

In my experience, the depreciation runs about 10% of the current retail value each year. I bought my first motorhome at 3 years old and kept it for 9 years. We bought the second one new and kept it for 14 years. In both cases, the amount recovered fell well within the range expected. 

Based on what I've seen during my rather long search for our RV, the depreciation is steeper in the first few years.  This seems particularly true for motorhomes.  This is one of several articles on the topic which actually suggests less than 10% over a typical serviceable life.  Either way, these numbers really add up quick and, while buying used comes with its own risks, the savings of buying used can be applied to buying a higher end RV or other associated travel costs.

http://www.rversonline.org/ArtNewUsedRV.html

Thanks for everything.  We ended up going with the used!  We decided to use the savings toward our truck.  Also we've now entered into being an RV owner, so we'll own something to trade up or down with in the future. Now we ust  need a truck ;)  We're having the dealer drop it off at a campground of our chosing.

Thanks again.

23 minutes ago, Cookie in Texas said:

We're having the dealer drop it off at a campground of our chosing.

Keep us posted as you move ahead and study the weight issues before you buy your truck. Keep in mind the old saying around here, "It is difficult to have too much truck."

11 minutes ago, Cookie in Texas said:

We're thinking a F350 diesel.

Good Idea. And the primary difference between a F350 and a F450 is brakes.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Now that you actually have your coach you can make a better truck choice. Use the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) for the coach as the weight you will actually be towing. Use 15% of that if you got a travel trailer, 25% of that for a fifth wheel as the hitch or pin weight (the weight that the rear axle will actually have to carry). Add to that whatever will have to ride in the bed of the truck (tool box, fifth wheel hitch assembly, etc.) for the real added rear axle weight. Don't let the sales person tell you that an F250 can tow anything, or worse, an F150 Eco-Boost can tow anything. The issue isn't making it go but stopping it. Wally Byam once towed one of his Airstreams with a bicycle. He didn't tow it very far, and certainly not very fast, but he did make it go. Not a recommended towing setup, though.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

23 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

Good Idea. And the primary difference between a F350 and a F450 is brakes.

Make sure you buy a trailer with brakes on it. :) If your trailer brakes are working good, stopping should not be a issue even towing with a bicycle if you have a brake controller, battery, manual lever system hooked up. I believe the main difference between a F250 and F350 are the brakes. An F450 is a whole different truck on a different chasse.

Greg

Two years ago we bought a brand new MH in Texas, it was a good price compared to the dealers here in Colorado.

But I would not buy new again.  Poor service from the local dealer since we did not buy from them.  I have found a couple of good repair facilities that are not RV dealers to deal with. 

Our MH is now for sale and we will be buying a used 5th wheel in the $35K range and a couple of years old one ton diesel truck in the $40K range.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

14 minutes ago, Phil Saran said:

I have found a couple of good repair facilities that are not RV dealers to deal with.

It has been my experience that with rare exceptions, the best service comes from service only RV shops and mobile techs. They depend upon service reputation, while most dealers consider service to be a necessary evil that is to be operated as cheaply as possible. 

23 hours ago, Phil Saran said:

I have found a couple of good repair facilities that are not RV dealers to deal with. 

I hope you listed them on RVServiceReviews.com so the rest of us can get that good service, too.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived