BigTexRex

RV Lots The Original SKP Ranch

We recently bought into the Original SKP Ranch Co-Op in Lakewood, NM and could not be happier.  Currently, there are a few lots for sale and I know there are Escapees members out there that might be interested in a home base and not have to wait years on waiting lists or pay high prices.  So, here are the highlights:

The Ranch has a lot to offer:

• Paved Roads
  • 50 x 70 Sized Lots 
  • 118 Total Sites
  • Upgraded electric
  • All sites have FHU’s
  • Large Dog Park 
  • Our Own Post Office (1 mile down the road)
  • Free WiFi
  • Prices Range From $7,500 to $17,000 (price depends on lot improvements)
  • Wide-open Views
  • Most Sites Have Casitas or Sheds 
  • One Free Storage Lot For Your Trailer/Boat or Extra RV
  • Reverse Osmosis Water to the Whole Park 
  • Maintenance and Office Manager
  • Adult RV Park
  • Low Electricity Rates (.09 cents per KwH)
  • Laundry Facilities
  • Large Community Center
  • Exercise Room
  • Air Gun Shooting Range
  • Wood Working Shop
  • Metal Shop
  • Card Games
  • Everyday Happy Hour
  • Monthly Birthday Celebrations
  • Men and Ladies Social Gatherings
  • Bingo
  • Potlucks
  • Low Humidity
  • Dark Skies
  • Bird Sanctuary
  • NO traffic noise
  • No Mosquitos, Fleas, or Ticks
  • January Average High is 56 Degrees
  • 310 sunny days at an altitude of 3,380 feet giving cool mornings and evenings even in the middle of summer.

The local area has two major towns—Artesia and Carlsbad which has:

• Hospitals 
  • Shopping
  • Super Walmarts and Other Local Grocery Stores 
  • Community Arts
  • Museums 
  • Hot Air Ballon Festival
  • Hand Crafters Art Show
  • Shooting Ranges
  • Bowling
  • Antique Mall
  • Water Park and Splash Park
  • Local Winery and Brewery
  • Carlsbad Caverns and other cave explorations 
  • Brantley Lake State Park (boating and fishing) and Lake Carlsbad
  • Canyon Hikes
  • Sitting Bull Falls
  • Living Desert Zoo and Gardens

Other attractions close by:

• Skiing
  • Cloudcroft
  • Lincoln National Forest
  • Whitesands Monument
  • Ruidoso Downs
  • Roswell (UFO Capital)
Edited by BigTexRex
Youtube video link removed.

They should "hire" you to rework their website!!

Based on what you have said here we will plan on stopping through there the next time we head south. We have talked about doing it before but always take another route. 

8 hours ago, Chalkie said:

They should "hire" you to rework their website!!

Based on what you have said here we will plan on stopping through there the next time we head south. We have talked about doing it before but always take another route. 

Hi Gary and Jan,

It would be great to see y'all.  If you drop by, the visitor rates are great:

Daily = $20 + Elec

Weekly = $125 + Elec

Monthly = $350 + Elec

AND for first time stayers, here's a link for a coupon where the rate is $50 + Elec for the week!

Karen and I are in site #5 and here is my phone number--940-232-0846.  Hope to see you--it's a great community.

32 minutes ago, chindog said:

How are February's there?  We loved Tucson in the winter, and this looks like about the same latitude.

It's colder at night than Tucson.  We still get down to freezing temps some nights, but the average high in February is 62 degrees.  The trade off is that the summers are not as hot. :D

Very interested...was the several inch snowfall (2004) a "one off"? The near freezing temps don't  scare me. (From Minnesota). Our new Minnie Winnie has tank heaters.

We plan to visit your park, in the long run, having a home base that we could winter in would be a huge plus.

After you purchase your share, what is the annual maintenance? 

I see 20+ lots for sale? Why so many?

Is flooding a problem?

Todd & Steve

Edited by ToddF

Hi Todd & Steve,

Make sure you look me up (site #5) when you come to visit.  There are some years that this place does get snow, but it melts so fast---it's amazing how it can go from freezing at night to warm up so much during the day.  Of course, there are some days it does not warm up for a couple of days--this usually happens in January.

There are two type of annual maintenance fees.  If you open your lot to rental (120 days a year) then the maintenance fee is $1,100, but if you don't want your site rented out while you're away, then the assessment is $1,375 a year.  This pays for all infrastructure, etc.  These fees can be paid quarterly.

The back row did flood and it caused damage to that street, storage lot and the evaporation pond.  The Ranch has since built a retaining wall between the arroyo and the park, moved the storage lot away from the arroyo, and built an additional berm and runoff trenches to send water from any other 100-year rainfall event away from the park.  None of the other parts of the park flooded.

I've also wondered why there are so many lots available and I found that most of them are back up for sale because this park has an aging population and several have passed on, spouses have passed on, illnesses have forced members to be closer to relatives and larger medical facilities.  Our neighbor, who has had their lot for 31 years, just left this morning putting their lot up for sale to permanently stay at their property in Florida. During the same time, five lots have sold to a younger generation. It's not as warm in the winter as Florida, South Texas or Arizona, but it's tolerable in the summer (low humidity, no mosquitos, no gnats, no fleas and no ticks) with cool nights and mornings while those other states are not has hospitable.  Also, the Ranch is not on a main interstate route, but I'm super glad it's not.  I take our dogs for a walk in the morning down the road that leads into the Ranch and it's so quite that it's deafening.  It's so unusual to find any place that does not have traffic and other metro noises except in a wilderness.  We are 100 miles away from I-20, 160 miles to I-10 and 200 miles to I-40.  While it is some distance to an interstate, there are four in close range to include I-25. 

Hope to see you soon.

Rex and Karen.

We stayed there earlier this year and like it there. We were in the sites p front but would have loved to stay back in the park to get a feel. 

In a roundabout way you do by the reduction in the yearly maintenance fees, but there is no direct compensation.  There are a lot of people that OK the rental of their lots, but we opted not to for this year.

Makes sense in light of the cooperative principal. There is something very appealing about the remote location...we'll definitely be down for a visit. I follow a few blogs of folks who boondock in the desert...doesn,'t appeal to us in the least . A park like this fits our personalities  much better. The costs are so low, it could speed up our full retirement potentially.

We have been intrigued by the idea of the Ranch.  We had hoped to get there before winter last year, but couldn't make it.  I would have to say that one of our concerns was fracking in the area, it has made us rethink the idea.  Main concern would be the traffic on the main roads leading to the bigger cities and sharing the road with equipment/trucks in the fracking industry.  Saw a couple of news stories on this.  Absolutely everything else about The Ranch sounded perfect, but we are hung up on whether the fracking industry would create an issue.  

We lived in the Tucson area, and this would be nothing like that area IMHO, which is also a very good thing.  

What is awesome are the state parks in NM, and the low cost involved with an annual membership to them.  Plenty to do nearby The Ranch when one couldn't travel as far as in their younger years.

Maybe we can visit and make an informed decision.  I do appreciate this thread very much as it is so hard to get "first hand" info.

8 hours ago, ToddF said:

Makes sense in light of the cooperative principal. There is something very appealing about the remote location...we'll definitely be down for a visit. I follow a few blogs of folks who boondock in the desert...doesn,'t appeal to us in the least . A park like this fits our personalities  much better. The costs are so low, it could speed up our full retirement potentially.

I know what you mean about boondocking--it sounds neat, but I love my hookups.  I spent part of my youth exploring the back country and mountains while now I enjoy air conditioning and a soft mattress.  Look forward to meeting you in the future.

25 minutes ago, SnowGypsy said:

We have been intrigued by the idea of the Ranch.  We had hoped to get there before winter last year, but couldn't make it.  I would have to say that one of our concerns was fracking in the area, it has made us rethink the idea.  Main concern would be the traffic on the main roads leading to the bigger cities and sharing the road with equipment/trucks in the fracking industry.  Saw a couple of news stories on this.  Absolutely everything else about The Ranch sounded perfect, but we are hung up on whether the fracking industry would create an issue.  

We lived in the Tucson area, and this would be nothing like that area IMHO, which is also a very good thing.  

What is awesome are the state parks in NM, and the low cost involved with an annual membership to them.  Plenty to do nearby The Ranch when one couldn't travel as far as in their younger years.

Maybe we can visit and make an informed decision.  I do appreciate this thread very much as it is so hard to get "first hand" info.

All the truck traffic is between Carlsbad, NM and Pecos, TX and that road can be rough in patches, but up here there is very little truck traffic, good roads and no fracking that I know of...it's mostly gas wells.  Drop by for a visit--you'll love it. 

We spend $50+ month for city water and sewer and Culligan drinking water.

And another $50-$100 for wifi.

Even living at the ranch for 6 months...the place practically pays for itself.

This place rules "low cost living" as far as I can see.

Do the grocery stores in Artesia have a good selection of fresh produce and meat?

On 8/21/2017 at 6:13 PM, BigTexRex said:

During the same time, five lots have sold to a younger generation.

How young is younger? Isn't it 55+?

Also curious where you said  you can rent your space out, you say 120 days a year. Is that the max you can rent, so 8 months there and 4 months gone?

Edited by eddie1261

52 minutes ago, ToddF said:

We spend $50+ month for city water and sewer and Culligan drinking water.

And another $50-$100 for wifi.

Even living at the ranch for 6 months...the place practically pays for itself.

This place rules "low cost living" as far as I can see.

Do the grocery stores in Artesia have a good selection of fresh produce and meat?

There is a Super Walmart and a Thriftway grocery store in Artesia.  Carlsbad also has both grocery stores plus an Albertsons. There are seasonal farmer's markets and we buy some meat from a butcher.  It's not a Whole Foods type of area but adequate for our needs. We do order some items from Amazon (paper towels, toilet paper, creamer, etc.) because it's a little cheaper.  UPS delivers to the park office and we pick up the package from there.

You're right, it is low cost living.

Edited by BigTexRex

On 8/25/2017 at 7:34 PM, eddie1261 said:

How young is younger? Isn't it 55+?

Also curious where you said  you can rent your space out, you say 120 days a year. Is that the max you can rent, so 8 months there and 4 months gone?

It's an adult park, so an Escapee member 18 years or older is OK.  Children can visit (e.g., visiting grandkids), but cannot be a long term or permanent residents.  

If you opt to pay the lower maintenance fee, it's the Ranch that rents out your space if your not here.  To pay the lower maintenance fee, your lot has to be AVAILABLE for rent at least 120 days per year--that can be in any time increment (a week here and there or all together).

Edited by BigTexRex

Eddie, As far as I know, all Escapee co-op parks require that at least one shareholder be 55. (I am 56 in Oct). My partner, Steve, is 58. I'M getting the itch to make a move...55 seems like a good age to do it.

You can always visit as a guest, I'm pretty sure anyone can join Escapees and stay in a park.

2 minutes ago, ToddF said:

Eddie, As far as I know, all Escapee co-op parks require that at least one shareholder be 55. (I am 56 in Oct). My partner, Steve, is 58. I'M getting the itch to make a move...55 seems like a good age to do it.

You can always visit as a guest, I'm pretty sure anyone can join Escapees and stay in a park.

Todd,

As long as an individual is 18 and an Escapee member, they can stay at the Ranch and lease a lot.

33 minutes ago, BigTexRex said:

As long as an individual is 18 and an Escapee member, they can stay at the Ranch and lease a lot.

That would concern me as far as all night parties. Because with my luck they would have the lot RIGHT NEXT to the one I would buy. I'd be far more interested in a place for only old geezers. I crossed into geezerland about 10 years ago and I left my party years behind me quite some time ago. Are there quiet hours not only posted but enforced?

My goal would be that I be the WORST resident there, because I am so private and quiet that people would probably be knocking on my door to see if I was alive. And if MY life is the worst resident, the place would be like a church full time!

Edited by eddie1261

7 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

That would concern me as far as all night parties. Because with my luck they would have the lot RIGHT NEXT to the one I would buy. I'd be far more interested in a place for only old geezers. I crossed into geezerland about 10 years ago and I left my party years behind me quite some time ago. Are there quite hours not only posted but enforced?

My goal would be that I be the WORST resident there, because I am so private and quiet that people would probably be knocking on my door to see if I was alive.

Most people here at the park are 55+.  There are some long-term renters that are younger, but you never see them because most are still working.  I can only assume quite hours would be enforced, but this place is so quite all the time.  It will get busier when more lease-holders come back from their summer jaunts.  If you're younger with no kids and can afford to be RVing full-time, this would not be #1 on the list of destinations.  So, no party animals here.

We visited The Ranch last year and really liked it. The biggest drawback for us is that it is quite a ways out of the way of the rest of our family. Hondo would be better as far as location, but it definitely wasn't as friendly as The Ranch.