East or West?

kb0zke

We have a pretty good plan for the rest of 2017, but nothing for the first part of 2018. We'll be leaving the St. Louis area about the first of the year, and need to be back in SW MO in May. The general plan is to head south until we get to water and then turn either left or right. We've visited two SKP Co-op parks and would like to visit a couple more. We're also interested in visiting all of the State capitals.

We prefer to stay in COE or State parks. What ideas do you have for us?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

From St. Louis to Turkey Creek RV Village in Hollister, MO is about 250 miles and heading south. Of course, Branson is just across the river and has lots to do and see. From there it is another 650 miles to Rainbow Plantation, so you probably should plan a couple of days to drive that. If you haven't yet been there, it is another 485 miles to Rainbow's End at Livingston.  From there Lone Star Corral near Hondo, TX is another 315 miles to the southwest.  If those sound like possible choices to visit, we can join in with some suggested state & COR parks along those routes to suggest stops in. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks, Kirk. Kind of forgot about Turkey Creek. We used to live near Branson, so have some favorites there. Rainbow Plantation and Rainbow's End are on our list. Lone Star Corral and The Ranch are the two Co-ops we've already visited. Liked them both.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

22 hours ago, kb0zke said:

...We'll be leaving the St. Louis area about the first of the year...

What kind of weather are you willing to tolerate? If heading to Florida, I would head for the Sumter Oaks Escapees Park or farther South as quickly as possible. On the return trip, lots of things to see and do on the Florida West Coast, through the panhandle and on to New Orleans.  Then head North on US-61 (the Great River Road) back to Saint  Louis. Check the Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project website for county, state and federal campgrounds along your chosen route. There are some good ones along the Gulf and on the Mississippi River.

I especially like www.allstays.com in the winter months to search for those campgrounds which are open and what limitations may be in effect.

I still don't know when I will leave NW Illinois heading south but schedule now is before New Years Day. Pending road conditions I hope to get to Texarkana AR on the second or third night to thaw out. There is a nice campground just north of a Flying J Truck Stop.

I traveling with a Fifth Wheel so you have the advantage of staying warm 24/7.

Clay

2016 DRV MS 38PS3    2015 FL Sport Chassis

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived