What have you done to your Travel Trailer lately?

Kirk W

• 5 months later...

LOL.  What have we done to the TT lately? 

It was a blank slate so, since bringing it home late April:

2 coats primer on floor plus 2 coats latex

scrapped with wire brush the small amounts of rust I found on the new 2018 frame.

sprayed primer on all the galvanized steel inside

took off all the screws, tie downs, staples, trim board

took off all wall boards and primed all sides.  Using Zissenger Bullseye 123 mold and mildew resistant film.

took the Multimaster plunge blade to the ATM diamond plate with self-tapping screws at the border to remove the front wood.

covered the holes found hidden there - I think a rat could have gotten in.

put Thermasheath-3 insulation boards in all walls.  Put reflectix and polyfil in all channels and sealed those with aluminum tape.

put the walls back up.

put most of the insulation up on the ceiling curves (still have some plus ceiling to insulate)

partially laid down plank flooring.  ripped it up because my arthritis didn't like cutting the thick planks

laid down vinyl squares (mistake I'll live with for awhile)

painted IKEA modular counter/sink frame copper and painted aluminum front pieces copper (spray paint)

Trudged through dirt to find 4 windows at salvage yard.  Have been painting the frames black but not yet done.

Ordered and received a Lippert bathtub and a Dometic 3-way fridge.  Wayne made enclosures for each and we are painting these and working on the finishing touches

Put everything in we think we want to take before making any vent or window cuts.

painted the fantastic fan we already had and some other "furniture" pieces made of plastic into a metal-type finish due to our steampunk theme

had the propane installed professionally with 2 20-lb tanks, cover, gages and auto flow regulate and added 2 quick release valves for stove and bbq use

....... I probably forgot some things but that's where we are at.  I've lost almost 10 pounds LOL.

I wish you all lived next door and would drop over and finish it for me.

Christine - 7x16 Cargo to RV Trailer In Progress

• 2 years later...

Mods?

HMMM, Maybe I've made a few this summer...

Progressive industries Surge protection (permanent under counter, behind cabinet drawer)

Third Brake light mounted on a carry rack on hitch mount.

3" wide Copper Tape used to cover every inch of the vent cover over the main bed to make it darker.

Slim Shade for RV doors (both doors) mounted upside down so I can have a little privacy by peeking out the top of the shade.

Turn Signal indicators 1/2 way down the side of the rig

Bright LED back up light.

pressure tank added by water pump to stop the on-off cycling

Blue Ray DVD player under cabinet near entertainment center.

Reclaimed space under the cafe bench seats (both) and above the drawers. There's about 3 1/2 inches of space to store documents.

motion sensing LEDs under sink cabinet, side slide out compartment and directly over the main entry door.

HUGE Camco level to front of trailer, so I don't need to get out and check 4 or 5 times...

TST 507 TPMS Installed on truck and trailer

Cheers

FB

Edited by franco-bolli
added TPMS install

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

• 3 weeks later...

I just sold my cl c RV and bought an R-Vision Trail-Lite Sport 25'.

• Reconfigured A frame by moving propane tanks forward and adding a second battery where the tanks were.
  • Replaced the Husky WDH with a Hensley Cub Hitch. Will tow with it tomorrow for the first time.
  • Reinforced the rear square tube bumper by welding 1/4" thick steel plate from the frame and under tube.
  • Fabricated cargo carrier then attached it to the square tube bumper.
  • Mounted aluminum diamond plate cargo box on the carrier.
  • Removed spare tire bracket that was attached on the square tube bumper then mounted tire between the cargo box and trailer. Note: Strap will be replaced with tow dolly wheel strap.

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, where shall we start?  This is our fourth RV in 48 years, it is also the nicest, a JAYCO Eagle that we bought two years old and it had not been used.  Seems to be an excellent unit and we are looking forward to the full time life for the second time in the last 15 years.  If you can't figure it out by now we are in our 80's and very friendly.  We like OLD people but not homes for OLD people.  Hope this explains it.

The first thing we did was tear out the Sofa, the Dinette and the upper Bunk.  Two new high quality Mattresses (bunk is Full size and the front bedroom is a Queen) and our favorite family room chairs along with an porcelain top table with two small chairs refilled the space with absolute comfort.  I am also sqeezing my Computer and Printer into the dining space.  Now my question will be what is the best Internet Service for RV'ers.  Please help on this one.  If you do I promise to bore you with some more drivel.

Rex and Carol

Edited by Rex and Carol

22 hours ago, Rex and Carol said:

my question will be what is the best Internet Service for RV'ers. 

Rex and Carol,  We use two sources to get our internet. Our primary tool is the no longer available AT&T Mobley ($20/month unlimited) plan.  It feeds a wireless signal to our PepWave Surf Solo Mark 3 router.  Assuming AT&T connectivity , it has been rock solid for over 6 years.

In order to make sure we had connectivity, last year we added the Verizon's Visible. We bought the cheapest cell phone Visible had a create a hot spot.  The hot spot allows ONE user.  We circumvent this by making the one user a TripMate router. Visible is a stepchild of Verizon, so Verizon users are prioritized for bandwidth.  We have never seen this happen therefore,  we have not any interruptions with our Visible service. Visible clams 5 megs up and down we have seen greater speeds.  It is $35/month on the party pay plan.  We really like this Visible.

Assuming connectivity, we stream is Amazon and Netflix. We have had no problems streaming even on the Visible. We are not gamers. We have Maximum Signal cellphone booster to improve reception of these devices.  Our primary travel areas are 5 state area with deep east Texas as our home base.

Towards the end of December 2020, we tried the T-Mobile NSEEGO 5G MIFI M2000.  While it was AMAZINGLY fast WHEN there was T-Mobile coverage or home 20 was just out of range for ANY T-Mobile signal so we sent it back.

2022 F-250 4X4 LB SC Godzilla V8 /2014 Northwood Nash 17K/SKP098347

• 10 months later...

Repaired the Dometic Water Heater DH-6GEA that came with my 2021 Winnebago Micro Mini 1708FB, just purchased last April 2021.

The water heater has worked fine on either propane or electric, but recently stopped working enroute from Los Angeles to central Iowa. I checked the burner but it was clean all the way through, no cobwebs or mud daubers, etc.

But when I checked the thermal coupler (diode) with my multimeter, there was no end-to-end continuity, meaning it had blown. No problem, I found a local RV parts and service dealer and purchased a couple thermal couplers and a spare igniter.

Fortunately replacing the thermal coupler fixed the problem...but it was still troubling to not know why it overheated and blew. The only thing I could think of is the day I forgot to turn the water heater off and then drove across the higher elevations of Arizona and New Mexico. 😬  I am guessing the air-fuel mixture should have been adjusted for the higher elevations/lower oxygen levels, and that caused a flare up.

Lessons Learned: Double-check that everything is turned off before driving! And it never hurts to have spare parts and a good tool kit. I will also be purchasing a spare DSI Control Board for the water heater, but it will be the more reliable Dinosaur brand rather than Dometic.