Kirk Wood

What have you done to your Travel Trailer lately?

The Class A forum has an interesting thread of this same subject, so I thought that I might start one for those of us with bumper pull RV's. In the past, Pam & I have done quite a few modifications to our little 20' travel trailer like shelves in the cupboards and the closet, a much stronger clothing rod in the closet, all new window coverings and several other interior changes. Our latest is that I replaced the manual tongue jack with an electric one and we had a Fan-Tastic vent fan installed in our bathroom. 

How about sharing your latest projects?

Edited by Kirk Wood

43 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

Added a 20 Amp inlet, breaker and wall outlet to provide power from an inverter for satellite TV receiver and TV when dry camping and provide an additional 20 Amp circuit to power an electric space heater when needed.

A busy day!! :D

22 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

deleted, apparently I miss understood the topic.

No need as it did relate to the subject. Since it was quoted, fortunately, it still shows. :D

I have added extra shelves, built a stove and sink cover for extra counter space, added 2 Trojan battery's. And added better stabilizers all around.

Edited by mesa

21 hours ago, mesa said:

built a stove and sink cover for extra counter space,

I made a cover for our sink from a good quality, plastic cutting-board and it worked out well. I'm still studying the stove top cover. What did you make yours from?

I just whipped it up with some scrap wood I had then some rubber bumpers on the bottom so it does not move and put contact paper on the top., Cheap and easy. 

Added "Trunk" to rear of our Arctic Fox, access from under bed. There was an empty space between I-beams that worked really well for this added storage. Then removed sewer hose box and welded in place of box 1/4 X 4" X 6" tube steel with 2" receiver hitch.

A while back I replaced the original, flimsy metal one with a larger, solid wood rod and support system. 

20526120_10209364565022854_5715352787844

Last trip some of the clothes hangers jumped off so today I drilled holes in the end supports and installed a removable rod to keep them in place. The rod was cut from an old tent pole.

20479706_10209364568782948_2403436207881

Replaced the Progressive Dynamics 4045 convertor section. It started charging at 14.4V all the time when connected to shore power when battery bank was already fully charged.  It's not a hard job and took less than an hour, 5 wires and one bolt:

New convertor section:

IMG_0414-L.jpg

IMG_0430-L.jpg

IMG_0432-L.jpg

New unit installed and now charging properly:

IMG_0434-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly

I replaced the tired old black plastic front panels on my refrigerator with wood grain panels.  Simple project, but really lightens up the area.  Found an end wood veneer panel from a pantry cabinette at Lowes for $26.00.  Stained and Varnished to match other Cabinettes.  Sure was cheaper that the $120 for the panels I found in a catalog.    Wife also got tired of the plastic 2 bowl kitchen sink.  Over time and use the finish wore off in spots and now the sink stains easily in those areas.  Could not believe I found a nice and very good quality 2 bowl stainless steel sink of the right size (17" X 25") at Lowes for $70.00 on sale.   Easy swap out if your considering it.   Wife is Beyond happy!!!:)

Haven't done it yet but plan to  buy a 5"x5"X8' fence post to mount under the trailer to hold our sewer hose. Had one for years on our full time fiver and then another trailer then somehow lost it! Went to hook up the hose at a park and it was gone!!! Fell off or something...who knows what so am installing another one as soon as I get to Tucson to buy another post.

Have 24 ft. Starcraft bought new and still is. They just don't make um like it anymore. Came with white wall trailer tires so had to replace with white wall car tires. So no modifications on this one.

16 hours ago, beemergary said:

Have 24 ft. Starcraft bought new and still is. They just don't make um like it anymore. Came with white wall trailer tires so had to replace with white wall car tires. So no modifications on this one.

It's fairly common to switch from trailer tires to LT tires, but not to passenger tires due to the sidewall structure not providing the support needed for trailer weights. I understand that the side pressure as the trailer is being maneuvered in turns and while backing doesn't bode well with passenger tires on a trailer either. Have you been using them awhile?

20 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

It's fairly common to switch from trailer tires to LT tires, but not to passenger tires due to the sidewall structure not providing the support needed for trailer weights. I understand that the side pressure as the trailer is being maneuvered in turns and while backing doesn't bode well with passenger tires on a trailer either. Have you been using them awhile?

Been on trailer 15 yrs. Not a fan of trailer tires. Bought new tires for car hauler with a 400# higher rating/tire. Went out 5 times and had 3 blow outs. No more Carlilsle's for me. Bought a new but used trailer. Had a couple blow outs on 8 yr. old tires. Bought same brand and had 2 blowouts in one yr. These are radials and the sidewalls are paper thin. My first trailer tires were 10 yrs. old and replaced them because the tread was worn and they just barely matched the trailer weight. Any more bad luck and going to truck tires. I check air pressure religiously and usually drive 65mph.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, beemergary said:

Not a fan of trailer tires. Bought new tires for car hauler with a 400# higher rating/tire. Went out 5 times and had 3 blow outs. No more Carlilsle's for me. Bought a new but used trailer. Had a couple blow outs on 8 yr. old tires. Bought same brand and had 2 blowouts in one yr. These are radials and the sidewalls are paper thin.

Sad state of affairs when things are done right and the product still cannot perform it's intended function. Getting LT tires is a common fix for certain tire sizes, with additional parts & $$$ needed if the trailer has 14" wheels. 

On 8/28/2017 at 5:40 PM, rideandfly said:

Replaced the Progressive Dynamics 4045 convertor section.

I spoke too soon! My WCCO converter has died so now I'm about to replace it.  I plan to upgrade to the PD4135.

Is there any general reason why converters tend to fail?  I think I am going to need a new one too. Sort of looks like they should hold up better.

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

Is there any general reason why converters tend to fail? 

l have owned an RV of some type, since 1972 all of which have had a converter of some make & model. Most of those RVs were kept for at least 5 years and several were used but this is the very first converter failure that I have experienced. In trying to figure out what may be different this time, the most apparent thing is that it is the only one from WFCO, if that means anything. Based on my 40 years of earning a living troubleshooting & repairing equipment most of which had internal power supplies, I suspect that the majority of failures are due to excess heat, but they could also just wear out. Heat us a major cause of failure in electronic and electrical devices. 

Of course, quality of parts and construction are also very significant contributors. WFCO is not a brand that is often mentioned on lists of electrical upgrades or recommended replacement equipment.