How Many Camprgrounds Do You Stay At During a Year?

1 hour ago, TCW said:

Unlike many other outdoor user groups which cry bloody murder every time a fee or a fee increase is proposed, hunters have supported every increase in the Stamp's cost from the original $2 to the current $25.

Amen!

And might I add from the fsw.gov site.. in case some folks may not know what those duck stamp $'s do:

"Federal Duck Stamps are conservation revenue stamps; 98 percent of the purchase price goes directly to help acquire and protect wetland habitat and purchase conservation easements for the National Wildlife Refuge System. Wetlands acquired with Duck Stamp dollars help purify water, aid in flood control, reduce soil erosion and sedimentation, and enhance outdoor recreation opportunities."

"Federal Duck Stamps - among the most successful conservation tools ever created to protect habitat for birds and other wildlife."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

...... With your busy schedule, you probably don't have time to see the things that you will miss....

Yes we do have different interests.  It seems that much of what interests you would bore me to death.  That is fine.  I am not trying to change  your interests.  The point is simply that many of us, full time or not, enjoy RVs for the travel opportunities.  I live in a great place with a beach within 2 miles, arboretums, gardens, museums, art galleries, and University educational opportunities all but next door.  When I get the opportunity to travel I want to see those really special places that are not nearby.  You can pick the wildlife refuge in Ohio.  I will travel the Oregon coast instead.   

28 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Love the Oregon coast, but to do it right it takes at least a month, if not more time. 

Wow. I think that we should all get away from the idea that there is a "right way" to visit an area. Every single person on this board has their own style of travel and their own specific interests. Why present personal preference as the "right way" to do something??  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

37 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Wow. I think that we should all get away from the idea that there is a "right way" to visit an area. Every single person on this board has their own style of travel and their own specific interests. Why present personal preference as the "right way" to do something??  

Because it's our way .  We just try to enlighten other folks a bit so they might have a slight chance at reaching our level of existence . You know , so those folks can sit back and watch the world try to catch up to us . Pht . LOL  

Goes around , comes around .

Just now, Pat & Pete said:

Because it's our way .  We just try to enlighten other folks a bit so they might have a slight chance at reaching our level of existence . You know , so those folks can sit back and watch the world try to catch up to us . Pht . LOL  

BTW , that^ isn't aimed at anyone . Well , maybe myself . ;)

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

Wow...Why present personal preference as the "right way" to do something??  

No kidding! Look at Barb... putting on 1 0 0 0 miles a month and doing the OR coast in 4 weeks?!? That woman needs to learn to SLOW the flip down and enjoy life a little. It's not a race! :P:D

35 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Okay.. okay.. THANKS for that. Just bucksnorted some ice tea and it was NOT pleasant. LOL

5 hours ago, JimK said:

...My point is that refuges are not necessarily that fun to visit.   Many are also seasonal depending on bird migration patterns...

Everyone views things through the prism of their own experiences. It seems that at least some RVers and much of the general public do not understand the different missions of the various federal land management agencies. Here are the mission statements of those commonly used by RVers:

"Our Mission. The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations."

"The Mission of the National Wildlife Refuge System is to administer a national network of lands and waters for the conservation, management and where appropriate, restoration of fish, wildlife and plant resources and their habitats within the United States for the benefit of present and future generations of Americans."

"The mission of the Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity and productivity of the Nation's forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations."

“The Bureau of Land Management is responsible for stewardship of our public lands. The BLM is committed to manage, protect, and improve these lands in a manner to serve the needs of the American people. Management is based upon the principles of multiple use and sustained yield of our Nation’s resources within the framework of environmental responsibility and scientific technology. These resources include recreation, rangelands, timber, minerals, watershed, fish and wildlife habitat, wilderness, air, and scenic quality, as well as scientific and cultural values.” 

"The U.S. Army Corps of Engineer's mission is to provide vital public engineering services in peace and war to strengthen our Nation's security, energize the economy, and reduce risks from disasters."

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Lots of places may take much, much longer than others.  And truly, you can't do justice to the Oregon coast in less than a month.  Not saying you have to do it all in one trip, but to truly appreciate the Oregon coast means spending time in almost every town up and down it - a month is a minimum. :D   

Of course there are those that don't understand being on the best coast, so to them maybe 1 day is to much? B)

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Yarome said:

No kidding! Look at Barb... putting on 1 0 0 0 miles a month and doing the OR coast in 4 weeks?!? That woman needs to learn to SLOW the flip down and enjoy life a little. It's not a race! :P:D

Okay.. okay.. THANKS for that. Just bucksnorted some ice tea and it was NOT pleasant. LOL

Sorry to have caused you any discomfort . It wasn't meant to . ;)

11 hours ago, Yarome said:

Yeah well.. pass me a cold barley pop and I might call it even.

Sheesh.. SOME people... LMAO

If I did that , you might not make being 3 states over later today . :D  

Have we jacked this thread enough yet ? ;)

On 7/30/2017 at 0:14 AM, JimK said:

Have you seen any of those wildlife refuges?  Which would you recommend as worth spending some time to visit? 

BTW, a "refuge" is often not what you think it should be.  Many I have visited allow hunting and in fact that is the main reason for them.  https://www.fws.gov/refuges/hunting/

Here's one for you in Iowa.  It's a restored tallgrass prairie with "free roaming" bison and elk.    https://www.fws.gov/refuge/neal_smith/.  No camping allowed.  But if you want to see how Iowa looked prior to European settlement, this is definitely worth a visit.

A Native Iowan.

Archived