Verizon unlimited data plan switch over

BFT

I'm currently with AT&T. No big issues with AT&T except LTE service has seemed to be going down hill in rural area that I live in. Switching over to Verizon's unlimited plan will also drop my bill significantly. I currently am paying on my iPhone 7+ so that will have to be paid off. 

Verizon's switch over plan will pay me monetary incentives to trade my phone in & then have to purchase a new iPhone 7+ that will work on Verizon's network. Offering incentives also for veteran status.

Has anyone went through this procedure of porting in your numbers from one carrier into Verizon's network? Any issues? My only concern is that you can read multiple stories on the Internet about Verizon scamming people & not really coming through with any incentives being offered. Of course, I know you cannot trust everything that you read on the Internet.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

My wife switched from AT&T to Verizon during one of their incentivized programs, and never saw a dime.  I recently switched to Verizon for coverage reasons, and it is fine. 

Keeping your same phone number is not an issue.  Mine has seen three different carriers.

If your bill is going to go down, and your coverage improves, does the incentive money really matter?

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

Thanks for the info. Never changed carriers before so was not familiar with that process. Yes I understand about coverage improving & bill going down... on the other hand I hate to lose nearly $1100 in incentives...

Be aware of throttle back to 3G from 4g after 10 gig of use....

Unlimited on phone and tablet.....but throttle back on mobile jet packs and such...

They lied to me about the Nest camera system they sell in regard to data use,,...I care for an autistic brother I monitor with cameras...eats data...

I don't stream videos or music...I have to really watch my use in my rural area 

I recently changed from Sprint to Verizon. All it took was a copy of my DD-214 to get the military discount. It's not much but every little bit helps. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I recently moved 4 voice lines from Sprint to Verizon unlimited.  Porting all the numbers was easy and free.  They gave me a bunch of different incentives and I got them all.  Some were 3 billing cycles down the road but I got them. My bill went down and I got better cell service.  I was with Sprint since 1995.  Don't know why I stayed so long.

20 hours ago, Norwood said:

Be aware of throttle back to 3G from 4g after 10 gig of use....

Unlimited on phone and tablet.....

The 10GB limit is only for using your device as a hot spot...and it's per device.  For example, we have two phones and a tablet, so we have a total of 30GB available to use as hotspots.  And I think the speed goes down to 2g if you exceed the 10GB hotspot usage on a device, doesn't it?

You don't *really* get unlimited on phones and tablets; instead, there's a 22GB "soft" limit after which you get prioritized on the tower, depending on how busy the tower is, so you might see your speeds go down.  Just like the hotspot usage, the 22GB limit is a per device limit.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

"And I think the speed goes down to 2g if you exceed the 10GB hotspot usage on a device, doesn't it?"

No, it goes to 600 kbps.  However, I haven't noticed any reduction  when using an iPhone or iPad as a hotspot, only my JetPack.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Thanks to all who replied. Turns out my niece has Verizon. Found out that the excellent coverage promised was too poor to pick up a connection inside of the house. Ended up staying with AT&T. Was actually able to get my bill lowered so that helps. LTE coverage not as good as I would like but I can get a decent signal inside the house.

• 2 weeks later...

When we went to the unlimited plan I was told that we "could " be throttled back after 10gb of usage on our hot spot if in areas that have high usage on the towers. Well let me tell you that we have camped in 31different towns since going unlimited and every singe month we get throttled back regardless of how big or small the area is.

I then play the game of using our 1 and only phone as a hot spot for 4g when doing thing I want the extra speed for otherwise we just deal with 3g.   

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

BFT,

Have you thought about an external antenna and inside wireless amplifier? Were I in your shoes I would drop 600 bucks into getting 100% of my possible signal in a heartbeat were I staying there.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 7/29/2017 at 2:42 PM, hdrider said:

When we went to the unlimited plan I was told that we "could " be throttled back after 10gb of usage on our hot spot if in areas that have high usage on the towers. Well let me tell you that we have camped in 31different towns since going unlimited and every singe month we get throttled back regardless of how big or small the area is.

I then play the game of using our 1 and only phone as a hot spot for 4g when doing thing I want the extra speed for otherwise we just deal with 3g.   

I've used 59.127gb's this month (still have 3 days left) on my tablet and I am still getting 4g speeds. 

speed.jpg

EDIT: Did you say that you were using a "hotspot"?

I understood that my tablet and my phone "could" be throttled if in a high usage area but it was also my understanding that my router (hotspot) "WOULD" be throttled after 10gb, period. You might want to verify your info with Verizon. Sounds like either you were misinformed or you misunderstood?

2014 smart Fortwo

21 hours ago, Big5er said:

I understood that my tablet and my phone "could" be throttled if in a high usage area but it was also my understanding that my router (hotspot) "WOULD" be throttled after 10gb, period.

That is my understanding, too:  The 22GB "soft" limit speed *may* be throttled back depending on how busy the tower is, but the 10GB hotspot usage is a "hard" limit and speeds *will* go down.  I though the speeds went down to 2G rather than 3G on the hotspot usage, but perhaps not.  We have 3 devices, so have a potential of 30GB of hotspot usage.  So far, I've only had to switch to the second device for hotspot usage near the end of the billing period.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 7/31/2017 at 9:08 AM, Big5er said:

I've used 59.127gb's this month (still have 3 days left) on my tablet and I am still getting 4g speeds. 

speed.jpg

EDIT: Did you say that you were using a "hotspot"?

I understood that my tablet and my phone "could" be throttled if in a high usage area but it was also my understanding that my router (hotspot) "WOULD" be throttled after 10gb, period. You might want to verify your info with Verizon. Sounds like either you were misinformed or you misunderstood?

Are you saying you used the 59gb's as a hotspot, or just as the tablet going to the internet?  Also the speed test you show, was that from a device connected via WiFi to the tablet?  Also did the tablet exceed the 10gb as a hotspot?

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, Al F said:

Are you saying you used the 59gb's as a hotspot, or just as the tablet going to the internet?  Also the speed test you show, was that from a device connected via WiFi to the tablet?  Also did the tablet exceed the 10gb as a hotspot?

That was posted in response to hdrider saying he got "throttled back" no matter where he was. You will notice I edited that and asked if he was referring to a "hot spot" , ie jetpack, etc. I have never been "throttled back" at the mysterious 22g limit.

But to answer your question, the speed test was on a website, on my computer, using the tablets connection and the speed test  was run at the time the tablet showed 59gb total usage for the month. I have never observed any of my devices exceeding 10g as a hotspot.

2014 smart Fortwo

I switched from a Verizon data plan to the unlimited plan about 3 months ago.  I use my phone as a hot spot exclusively.  All three months I've gone over the 10G limit and noticed no reduction in speed.  In fact, when I look at my account, it will show 10G remaining on my hot spot data no matter how much my total usage is.   When I get into an area where the Verizon towers are busier that may change though.

I don't think Verizon is trying to mislead anyone on the incentives they offer to switch over.  I think the confusion arose because the response to the unlimited plan was greater than they anticipated.  I did find that trying to "chat" with someone at their site was not they way to go.  My military discount did not transfer over automatically and the person on chat said I couldn't get the discount on that plan.  The web site clearly said I could.  So, I just called in and the rep cleared up the issue immediately.

I'm quite pleased with the new plan. 

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

The incentives usually are at a later date.  That is to stop someone from signing up - paying 1 bill and getting all of the incentive and then cancelling their service.  If you read the fineprint it will be specified when and how you will receive it.  We have gotten every incentive promised by Verizon.  We now have a Mobley thru ATT, so have cancelled service on our Verizon Jetpack.  We can reactivate it if needed when we get out west.  If we have to reactivate it, we will keep both operational after that.

Pat DeJong

On 7/12/2017 at 7:50 PM, fly2low said:

My wife switched from AT&T to Verizon during one of their incentivized programs, and never saw a dime.

Did you call them out on it or just let it go? I switched and got a $200 rebate for being a veteran, a 15% bill discount for being a veteran, a credit for the phone I turned in, and they paid off the installment payments I had with AT&T for the phone I turned in. They took longer than expected, but I got all the rebates. 

What were the incentives when your wife changed?

Archived