Hairstylist as a FTimer?

dpdventure

My first post! My husband and I are seriously thinking about the lifestyle.  I am a Professional Hair Stylist. Is is feasible to think that I may be able to pick up some business with other FT or PT?  And would the tanks/drains in RV's tolerate hair color?  Or do most FT just go natural?  I would appreciate input as I have no idea about how people take care of their grooming needs on the road or if there is even an interest in that kind of thing as priorities shift. I have been working behind the chair for 36 years. My husband is a general contractor doing mostly residential remodels. Could we use any of our talents/skills to earn income FT?  We are thinking the adventure and the people sound right up our alley but not sure if the sale of our home would support us.

Thank you

I dont think hair changes that much although I have seen some wild ones that for sure needed sheep shears. Finding someone new is quite a challenge for my wife. As long as the park you were in didnt complain about you doing hair. You might have to change from charging to accepting a donation.

Welcome to the club

Jim n Suzanne

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I'm not trying to discourage you from your dream, but A couple things to think about  -   what licenses you will need & how will you get it,  insurance, how will you attract clients, will the cg management you are staying in allow someone to conduct a business from their cg, (I would bet that the majority will not), how long do you plan to stay in a cg before moving on, what kind of equipment would you have to carry with you, what kind of RV do you plan on getting? 

FT RV ladies are just like other ladies, some will go natural, some will do their own hair, some have stylists that they use on a regular basis as they stay in one spot for long periods of time.

Why don't you think outside the box - find a paid or volunteer position at a park, wildlife refuge, etc in an area that you want to visit.  They almost always give you a free parking spot for the duration of your work assignment and they love finding someone with your husband's skills.  You have customer service skills that are in demand.

Best wishes and good luck with your dream, it can be done.

Thank you Jim, Suzanne and LaYaBug.

The donation thing is a great idea! Actually it is brilliant. Yes I hold the correct liability insurance for my industry that follows me where ever I go.  And because of my longs years licensed in Ca there are many states that would issue me a license simply for the asking.  All those details are something that are so in my wheel house they take little effort for me to organize. To make an bit on the side doing some hair if there may be interest, was mostly my inquiry.  I love doing hair and I am very good and even though I may not be enjoying the long days on my feet and the obligation to be available to my clients both male and female, some in excess of 30 years..wow I am so fortunate. I think a part of me would be very sad if I could not at least occasionally do me some hair and make some peeps happy for that moment.  I so appreciate all your detailed thoughts.  Customer service, organization and problem solving are in my DNA.  Being an entrepreneur teaches you invaluable skills that can be applied in every facet of life.

As far as the volunteering etc that is one of things has really appealed to us.  Engagement with people is my joy as well it is just my nature. And don't get me started on our interest of anything to do with animals wildlife. Which I only recently learned about the refuge opportunity.  Both my husband and I being professionals, business owners and in service type industries, managing teams and clients simultaneously, does mean we are certain people personality  but to maintain those businesses has also meant rare vacations, being out of touch with our clients rare, taking 2 Sats off in a row rare, time off generally in 3 or 4 day stints but only a few times in a year, with the rare 7 days and less than hand I can count of 10days off.  Being of service is greatly full filling and is fuel for us but to now that the commitment we make would be on our terms and finite and we could move on to see and experience what we have been missing out on. At 54 and 62 the lifestyle is looking good. It is the what ifs that are super scary. Health care and giving up known stable income that took years to cultivate and nurture and the home I love but is also a burden that is the stuff...

And thank you for my long spewing of ??  what is likely pretty much what 75% of people looking to go FT experience. I may need another forum hahahaha but I am pretty sure i am not alone. I have seen there are books out there and intend to look into those. And find all the blogs of FTers.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! It is great having you with us and I do hope that you also consider joining the Escapees RV Club as I am sure that you would find their support systems to be helpful. Most of us do use some type of haiir care along the road and finding it can be challenging, but the questions asked by LaYaBug are very valid and do need to be considered. Very few commercial parks allow the operating of a business from the RV and no state or federal parks that I know of allow it so that could be a problem. Any chemicals used would need to be septic safe to be sure that they don't damage your RV waste water system and most parks are on septic systems as well. 

On finding more information from the folks here, let me invite you to check our listing of the 30+ places that we have volunteered as well as most anything of interest on our website. If you notice the signature area of many who post here regularly, most of us who keep websites or blogs put a link to them in our signature line and there is an active link located there. Feel free to join in on any of the forum subject areas as you are welcome to join in them all. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think the major factor that might hold you back will be health insurance.  I didn't mention it my earlier post as I didn't know your ages.  Will you stay domiciled in CA or would you domicile in TX, SD, FL or other more favorable tax state?  With the mess our current health insurance is in, I think I would start research health care first, then look into everything else.  There is a ton of info here on insurance.  I was lucky, I started full time at age 60, but I have an employer COBRA til I was 65.  It is downright scary for all of us to obtain a decent insurance plan. 

I envy you just starting out on this adventure, especially now that my health issues and family obligations have taken me off the road.. 

Best wishes

Again I am so grateful for the addition info and resource recommendations.  Yes, Health Ins is a caveat, one big important chunk that I have been knowingly procrastinating on researching. Last night I actually did say to my husband,  "it could all be moot, if the health ins just doesn't work and fall into the budget etc."    I do believe it makes since to do the no tax states as domicile but then there is also how we like our Health insurance is in CA is... so another thing to way in on the plan. Has someone ever invented a system for mapping the budget of all the things you need to think of and calculate? likely in a book somewhere. 

My mind is hurting and distracted and keeping me up at night. There is also retiring to Mexico...  The thrill of the potential lifestyle.

I am sorry to hear LaYaBug you had to leave the road but you still participates in this forum. That says a lot about the love of FT even when you are not doing it anymore!

I am so thrilled of the community that is here on the rvnetwork. We will for sure join Escapees RV Club. But not ready to pay for that just yet. I also told husband about Boot Camp and how that makes so much sense on many levels. Can you do that without and RV?

I will look at those links Kirk thank you. I have to resist all urge to abandon my 'to do' list and just research all day. 

Thanks again

7 hours ago, dpdventure said:

I also told husband about Boot Camp and how that makes so much sense on many levels. Can you do that without and RV?

You can do so by staying in a local motel and commuting, which there are always a few participants who do it that way. Another possible way would be to rent an RV to stay in. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived