MRR

Tow vehicle concern

On 7/8/2017 at 10:50 AM, remoandiris said:

My next truck will be a SRW if it has the carrying capacity I need.  There are times a dually is more of a pain than they are worth.  In 6 yrs of traveling, I have yet to feel any kind of crosswind that would give me pause to tow with a SRW.  If the winds are that bad, find a campground and sit for a few days. 

Duallies do NOT come with TPMS.  IIRC, SRW 1-tons do come with it.  I have had a TST 507 Flow Thru system on my trailer for a few years.  I plan to get them for my truck, too.  Already have the metal valve stems.  Just have to install the flexible steel extensions on the rear wheels.  That is an added pain of duallies, but at least it is only a 1-time pain.

Duallies aren't that bad. I'd never driven a pickup truck before in my entire lifetime and we just got a new F450. The thing is a beast but now after having driven it almost 1k mi, I'm very comfortable with it in all sorts of traffic and situations. When I pass the big loaded up semi trucks, I barely notice the wind shear. 9280 lbs of truck will do that for you, especially with the DRW.

But common sense will have my truck and trailer parked any time there are high winds. It's just not worth the risk driving in those situations with my family on board.

You're absolutely right that it does not come with TPMS. I plan on installing the TST 507 internal sensors held in place with a strap to avoid having to use the ugly brass stems that TST supplies. Then I will add more sensors for the trailer TPMS.

6 hours ago, TheLex said:

You're absolutely right that it does not come with TPMS. I plan on installing the TST 507 internal sensors held in place with a strap to avoid having to use the ugly brass stems that TST supplies. Then I will add more sensors for the trailer TPMS.

The new duallies DO come with TPMS.  My 2011 did not.  I do not know when TPMS became standard or how accurate/how the readout works.  Some TPMS simply shows if air pressure is low, not what the specific pressure is.  Other systems show specific pressures.

It appears rear GAWR on SRW 1-ton trucks is not very robust.  My current 5er is not SRW capable...and it is not a very heavy 5er.

8 hours ago, remoandiris said:

The new duallies DO come with TPMS.  My 2011 did not.  I do not know when TPMS became standard or how accurate/how the readout works.  Some TPMS simply shows if air pressure is low, not what the specific pressure is.  Other systems show specific pressures.

It appears rear GAWR on SRW 1-ton trucks is not very robust.  My current 5er is not SRW capable...and it is not a very heavy 5er.

I stand corrected.  Yes the new duallies do come with TPMS. The exception is my F450 because this truck uses 19.5" rims and Ford has not certified a TPMS that works with this particular wheel. So those of us with F450's have to seek out aftermarket TPMS systems.

The reason I went with the F450 was not only because of the DRW, but because the 450 has extra large brakes and a wide track front axle that allow the truck to turn very sharply. I can easily make a U-turn into the #2 lane without having to back up and shimmy the truck.