Walkie talkie

cadonnelly

16 hours ago, noteven said:

Watched a couple towing a 30+ ft Airstream with a long box 4 door Ram parking on a "bluff" site at Malibu RV Park - these sites are "compact"  and the road is "not wide"... they idled past the site, looking... stopped in the road... doors open, she takes the wheel he goes back and with clear affirmative hand signals from him, she carves the rig in and spots the trailer one shot. 

I imagined they discussed in 12 words where the trailer was to be spotted as they drove past, but there was none of the usual hollering and arm waving in the 27 seconds it took her to back in...  

The value of a good spotter...

Recently, a bystander started giving me hand signals. My wife told him not to bother, as I would only trust signals from her. She's right.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We use inexpensive walkie talkies. They usually last a few years and then need to be replaced. I like the ones with regular batteries vs the rechargeable ones as it is easy to buy them cheap on Black Friday and then keep spares in the vehicle to change out when they need them vs having to put them back on the charger.

I need to get new ones but this will only be our 3rd pair in 9 years.

I usually just listen, while the DW does the talking while I move into the site. I prefer her to keep talking saying come on back, go passenger side or go drivers side vs waiting till I am about to hit something and they say stop. Reaction time take too long. She also know that if I do not hear anything or cannot see her in the mirrors I will stop and either wait or get out to see what the issue is.

Mainly use them to see the side I cannot and to make sure I do not hit anything.

We also have used them to communicate short distance while driving two vehicles. The cell phones are used are used for longer distances if we get too far apart.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

23 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Recently, a bystander started giving me hand signals. My wife told him not to bother, as I would only trust signals from her. She's right.

Rick,

That sounds like my DW!  She might tell the "helpers", "He only listens to me"!  :D

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

On 7/6/2017 at 8:01 PM, noteven said:

Watched a couple towing a 30+ ft Airstream with a long box 4 door Ram parking on a "bluff" site at Malibu RV Park - these sites are "compact"  and the road is "not wide"... they idled past the site, looking... stopped in the road... doors open, she takes the wheel he goes back and with clear affirmative hand signals from him, she carves the rig in and spots the trailer one shot. 

I imagined they discussed in 12 words where the trailer was to be spotted as they drove past, but there was none of the usual hollering and arm waving in the 27 seconds it took her to back in...  

Everybody should have one of those (if you don't already)!!..;);)

• 3 months later...

We use the small motorola radios they cost $21 and have a 20 mile range under ideal conditions, they have 20 channels to select which on one else is on, they have a call alarm and a up and down volume and channel button. the reception is clear and you get the beep upon releasing the button from talking, very durable and to our use so far rain proof. We use our radios for backing and tire placing on blocks, tail swing in tight spots, hitch alignment and hooking up. and best of all when I go in a store the wife can call me for last minute items she want when she don't go it :( :).

Grayling & Shirley

2000 Volvo 420, single Axle, 370 ISM, 10 speed

2001 Holiday Rambler Presidential 37' SKT

US Army MSG (Ret) Transportation Corps

(see You Tube Channel Max1Chase1)

On 7/6/2017 at 9:25 AM, Jack Mayer said:

OK, I'LL PROBABLY GET FLAMED FOR THIS....BUT...

I don't recommend using voice means for backing. You should use hand signals ONLY. IF you use voice it should be for discussion only, and not for directions for backing. Nothing wrong with the discussion, but hand signals never cut out or are un-clear.

Good points Jack and I can tell you, you have a Army to back you up........when we did under water heavy-lift support for the U S Army Corps of Engineers, we had ONE liftmaster that issued Standard Crane hand signals to the crane operator.

When we had deep divers in the water the dive Captain who was a Master Diver would communicate through the life line to the divers who were on tri-gas and we could hear every breath as they worked but only the Dive Captain relayed lift instructions to the lift master and only the lift master gave commands to the crane operator.....it sounds complicated but the chain of command was short and concise and it was well proven over time. When we conducted dive operations we always had a dive qualified MD and nurse aboard with remote vitals 100% monitored for each diver in the water and for each diver in the water we had a standby diver suited and life line attached ready to dive in 15 Seconds. We also carried a decompression chamber on board with quad-gensets ......Nothing and I mean nothing was left to chance and we had a perfect safety record.....once in a while the bean counters would complain about the intense cost of our dive ops and I would respond...... "Well if you think are costs are high now, try cutting corners and see how the costs can climb when we have a accident" ......end of cost cutting......

Hand signals may seem Stone age but history has proven that if properly used they work well......

Drive on.......(Dive & Drive......safe)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We use walkie talkies.  The key is get ones that have a beep when the other person releases the talk button.  This is important cause walkie talkies aren't full duplex. (you both can't talk at the same time)  Also, the beep, without hearing any talking means you missed something...... like "STOP".

Ours are Motorola T5710 .....proly 20+ years old, but, when all the cameras come out at the campground, YouTube moments are avoided.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

The problem with every post in this thread.....they all require a second person :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, Big5er said:

The problem with every post in this thread.....they all require a second person :)

I can understand why that might be an issue with you after seeing your "doesn't play well with others" T-shirt :)

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 10/16/2017 at 1:25 PM, Big5er said:

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I can understand why that might be an issue with you after seeing your "doesn't play well with others" T-shirt :)

Phil,

Ya know some days I wonder if you are one of Grumps kids that was switched at the nursery.......

One crappy winter just between Christmas and New year's Grumps had to clean-up the last several loads of logs in a high altitude timber sale with way way too much snow and of course beening Christmas vacation he had some child-$lave-labor to plow snow with a old Oshkosh plow / blower and a D-8 Cat.....grim.....

For the final load out he used a self loader truck and I had to clank down the pig trail single spur road out to the highway......the load point was nine miles from the highway going in and looped back to the highway six miles down some fair down grades so I was supposed to get the cat down to the highway and Grumps would meet me there......

Logging never meet any kind of plan except a disaster plan..... 

Shortly after Grumps got the last log on the truck a avalanche roared down the mountain blocking the loop road out so......just rolled a cigarette and poured a cup of coffee out of the Stanley thermos and backed NINE miles of twisty one lane road back to the highway.......some folks herd about his little-back-up and ask how he did it .....he would grin and said....."simple.....I just glanced in the mirror and just made sure that the trailer wheels were in the same tracks that the truck made in the trip into the log landing......shucks any dummy can back up in his tracks...might?"

Then he would smile and say....."ya know that darn truck was paid off .... otherwise I would of just hiked out and....let the darn repo-driver back the load out...."

So Phil you don't need another person just back up in the tracks on the ground.... wherever they lead.....

Drive on......(how many miles do I have to backup....today)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I know a guy that does truck driver instruction, there is a slalom course set up for  car clubs on the same abandon runway.     This guy will back a truck with a 53' box through the slalom course in high reverse.       He is a PCA driving instructor as well.

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

13 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Hey, at least I give folks fair warning, GH :)

DT, I was driving along today, just thinking and I see an issue your your forum name.  You have referred to dollymomma in the  past. Since a trolley is a form of conveyance that would be the truck so shouldn't you be "dollydaddy"? :P

Hey Steve, you shoulda hung around longer at the rally. There were folks looking for ya after you left...and the food weren't half bad either. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

27 minutes ago, Big5er said:

DT, I was driving along today, just thinking and I see an issue your your forum name.  You have referred to dollymomma in the  past. Since a trolley is a form of conveyance that would be the truck so shouldn't you be "dollydaddy"? :P

Hey Steve, you shoulda hung around longer at the rally. There were folks looking for ya after you left...and the food weren't half bad either. 

Hay Phil (pun intended)

Dollypapa would be a big upgrade from Dollslave.....I get to buy, haul, stack, and feed the hay and then I got to restack the "used-hay" after Dolly uses it......and then it's a new day and the cycle repeats....

Drive on.......(Hay....hay...there gotta be a pony around here someplace)

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Phil,

I woulda but I didn't feel right to crash the party with out paying.      I kinda Ninjaed in an out of there,  saw quite a few recognized faces.     Most were preoccupied by food!      My standing invite still stands, if your passin through Hutch come on by.      

Dolly,

I agree with Phil, you need a "handle"  Dollydaddy is cool baby or as I have taken to calling you DollyDriver but then you aren't the Dolly Driver.     Dollydaddy or get the mule and ride as Sancho.      Just stay away from the big windmills.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Archived