Walkie talkie

cadonnelly

If we use them at all, I prefer one with a VOX headset or use the cell phones in hands free mode so that both the driver and the spotter have both hands free and do not have to push a button to talk. The current truck has a cell phone that works through the speakers so only the spotter needs a cell phone.

Sena SPH10 Headset (amazon) - Great Devices - Allows for hands to be free to give hand signals. Downside is they do cost more than other options

Other option model Expand (amazon) - built after we purchased above model - little bit less in cost

We leave them on through our set up while one person is outside and the other is inside so that we can communicate throughout the process as needed and our hands are free to work.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I am a radio junkie. I have mobile rigs installed in the truck, car and trailer. And a dozen portables from TYT th-uv8r all the way to Motorola XPR6550's.

being able to communicate as needed is important. We have big rigs, and alot of blind spots. I can get er in just about anywhere, but expect someone to say something before I hit things just in case.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

When we started we had some very nice long range radios with VOX headsets.  We never got used to saying a small thing to get the VOX microphone started before saying what we wanted.  

Long term we got our hand signals down pat and that is what we used.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

OK, I'LL PROBABLY GET FLAMED FOR THIS....BUT...

I don't recommend using voice means for backing. You should use hand signals ONLY. IF you use voice it should be for discussion only, and not for directions for backing. Nothing wrong with the discussion, but hand signals never cut out or are un-clear.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

3 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I will get flamed for this. My wife, typical woman, giving hand signals is worthless. 

:)  well, I would say that the person that trained her did not do a great job :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We use the least expensive Motorola radios.  The fewer the features the easier they are to use.  The wife uses four commands........left, right, stop and come on back.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

4 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I don't recommend using voice means for backing. You should use hand signals ONLY. IF you use voice it should be for discussion only, and not for directions for backing. Nothing wrong with the discussion, but hand signals never cut out or are un-clear.

AGREED! 

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I also like the GMRS/FRS radios. I have to agree with Jack... stick with hand signals for parking, but they are still pretty handy keeping in touch "around the area" where cell signals may be week or non-existant. They also receive NOAA just about anywhere and have an emergency channel that could help direct help your way if lost or incapacitated.

Just to be aware though.. FCC registration is generally required to use these and they are not capable of broadcasting within CB bands. For clear, rather long distance private comm's though... they are a great (cheap) and lightweight option. 

My wife and I work in warehouses.  She has learned the signals that truckers understand and that has been the best. She does struggle with remembering them if we havent "practiced" in a while.  Funny thing is I havent forgotten and I havent used them in the same amount of time.  I guess its just about technical people compared to emotional people. We are all different and have to work with that in mind.  We still remind each other of things every day.  IE-I cant remember the name of a song we both like, she remembers the name, the artist and the vocals.  I guess I forget it all because I really dont care.   Thats my part in this equation.

Marcel

8 hours ago, TreyandSusan said:

Sena SPH10 Headset (amazon) - Great Devices - Allows for hands to be free to give hand signals. Downside is they do cost more than other options

Other option model Expand (amazon) - built after we purchased above model - little bit less in cost

We leave them on through our set up while one person is outside and the other is inside so that we can communicate throughout the process as needed and our hands are free to work.

We've been using the Sena SMH10 motorcycle communicators for years on our motorcycles. I have one of the SPH10's I bought used some years back, but the band snapped on me. I think it was an older design as it looks like they redesigned it now. These are great devices though, albeiet a bit expensive for just communicating for backing, but as you said you use them for the entire setup process. If someone could make use of them in other uses or out door activities, that would be even better. 

I like those Expand ones. I hadn't seen those before. Thanks! 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Hmm , we have a microphone equipped back camera . DW can speak at normal levels and be heard . When I hear 'something' much louder , it's immediate brakes . 

We have walkies , too . We used them one trip . Haven't used them in years . Anyway , I'm pretty sure one of them is busted  , so they collect dust in the electronic cabinet .

Goes around , comes around .

After we check in I'll walk the path back to our camp site along with my wife and dog. It gives all of us a chance to stretch our legs.

I'll point out any concerns I have like tree limbs, elec boxs or cars to my wife at that time. We both agree on how we plan the entire route into the site including if we may need to unhook the truck in a hurry after in the site. 

Driving trucks still for a living it's easier if she only warns me if I'm to close and give distance while watching hazards, rather than for her to try and tell me how to turn. 

Hand signals are used along with a hand held radio and a race radio mounted in the truck, and she knows that 

"If She can't see me in the mirror, I can't see her".

On our last trip out I made a big lazy mistake. 

We went to our favorite campground and had our usual site assigned. 

I figured it was a off weekend and the campground was not full so no need to pre- walk the route, WRONG!!!!

I drove in like we have in the past to find a ton of cars in the way.

and a couple motorhomes followed me in making it even worse because now I couldn't back out. 

I had to let them go around me so they could park and now make more hazards for me. And I then had to get myself turned around in order to use a different approach than normal, meaning blindside back in. 

Everything worked out BUT I was really MAD at Myself,even though people told me they where very impressed how I pulled that off. 

ALWAYS pre-walk your path!!!

Watched a couple towing a 30+ ft Airstream with a long box 4 door Ram parking on a "bluff" site at Malibu RV Park - these sites are "compact"  and the road is "not wide"... they idled past the site, looking... stopped in the road... doors open, she takes the wheel he goes back and with clear affirmative hand signals from him, she carves the rig in and spots the trailer one shot. 

I imagined they discussed in 12 words where the trailer was to be spotted as they drove past, but there was none of the usual hollering and arm waving in the 27 seconds it took her to back in...  

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Howdy!

We gave up on walkie talkies, they never seem to work when we needed them or last very long. We use our cell phones now but mostly rely on hand signal for everything when backing. Number one rule "if I can not see her in the minors I stop", even if we have voice communication.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Archived