Battery status

bigjim

Getting a msg on start up of laptop that my battery is not up to par and needs to be, I think, replaced for "optimum performance."   I almost never used the laptop on the battery and did  a  few times forget to plug in and got the notice  i was about out of battery so I plugged in and it easily recharged.  I can not tell any difference in my usage since this  notice started.   Do I really need to replace this battery if I essentially never  need it? 

If RV answers this, remember not tell me to take anything apart on a laptop although I can do the battery if I have to.:o:D I rember how  a previos episode turned out.

Only need a battery to function off the cord, like through a power bump, or to move out of the way of the vacuum cleaner. I have an old machine that I'm too cheap to replace, running without a battery, for about 5 years. Until it dies, it'll keep running that way.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Jim,

If you don't use the battery, and your laptop can run with it removed when plugged in, by all means put it aside. Replacement batteries can be had on Amazon for under $30.00. But do read the reviews for each before you choose.

If you leave it plugged in the battery will eventually catch a memory to only charge a bit then act full, but not last more than 10 minutes.

You can disassemble the laptop and clean out any dust bunnies which has nothing to do with your problem. a

I just thought you'd like a disassembly for old times sake! ;)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Any chance I can change the memory by running it nearly down before trying a recharge? 

I am available to tinker with any of Rv's stuff but I'm guessing he won't go for it.

BTW thanks for the replies.

btw

Jim,

Sometimes a couple three full charges/discharges can refresh it and get rid of the memory.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

That confirms what I was thinking to try.  Now if I had just paid attention and bought me some Tesla.

I just remembered RV came up with a stop for that stinking automatic W10 install therefore he is a little further back up on the pedestall discounting all the incomprehenible to me computer terms he uses. :)

Jim, I do hear that they wish they'd listened about buying Tesla a lot, from all my friends and family, as well as most acquaintances. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him do a back flip.:D

I'm not getting better, you are!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

But so slow.  

Not to hijack thread but RV are u using Anderson aluminum version and with the gooseneck or with the rails? Asking now so I won't forget later. U can PM but I will be out of pocket w/likely no wifi for several days to a week starting early tomorrow.

I sold that truck and now have another but with a ling bed and regular hitch already installed.

I had, and loved, the gooseneck Andersen. I had the steel version but would buy the Aluminum version if I get another.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived