Parking Brake Issue

chuckbear

I have been reading some on servicing the parking brake on our '99 Bounder located on the drive shaft just behind the transmission. Keep in mind that we are on the road traveling right now, heading west. I have no idea when or if the parking brake has EVER been serviced or checked. I have no idea of any problems or abuse by previous owners. The coach has 56,000 miles on it. For over a week now, I have made many attempts to remove the overflow bolt to check the fluid level, condition or even if there is fluid in the housing. I am having no luck in removing the bolt. I have tried everything except a torch to break the bolt loose and it just ain't happening. 

If this were you, what would be your next step? 

How much trouble could I have if the fluid is low, burn't or even gone? 

Is there any symptoms that might show ahead of a failure? 

Using penetrating oil and most other things are not helping. I would like some suggestions from anyone FAMILIAR with this parking brake. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

12 hours ago, bounder94 said:

Go to Bounder Sounder for an article on parking brakes by Juergen Cords.  That may help answer your question.

Can not find any way to search for articles or authors on Bounder Sounder. Chuck

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

You may want to try the Ford truck forums and perhaps post your question there. I did have mine checked at a service shop a few times over the years that we had our 99 F53 chassis motorhome but never did it myself. I suspect that yours hasn't been checked is the reason for the problem. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

You may want to try the Ford truck forums and perhaps post your question there. I did have mine checked at a service shop a few times over the years that we had our 99 F53 chassis motorhome but never did it myself. I suspect that yours hasn't been checked is the reason for the problem. 

Kirk, I did register and post my questions there. I too suspect it has never been checked or serviced and with 8,000 miles ahead of us, I don't want to leave anything to chance. It's one of those items I missed before we started out on this trip. Chuck

Archived