Hi everyone,

This is my first ever "discussion forum".:D  My wife and I live in California :wacko: (yes, I admitted it!) and are trying to find a way to "get out".   We are interested in downsizing our house and expenses.  We would like to start the RV life in a travel trailer, but would also like to buy a small house that we can afford in case the RV life doesn't work out for us, we would then have a home to go back to.  Texas keeps coming up in our research as the "place" to go.  We are both over 60 yo but not old enough to qualify for Social Security and Medicare yet.  So we don't want to go without medical coverage.  Does Texas have medical care for low income adults and if so, is there a "time" requirement to be living in the state before you can qualify for it?

I am in Cali too.  Have been thinking of some of the same things.  Here is the direction we are looking at.

We're 59/61 and self-employed.  With low income, we qualified for the ACA, which Mr Trump is trying to replace.  We'll see how that all shakes out, but in the meantime we get a significant portion of our premium covered so with it now, we pay ~$160/mo for Kaiser for both of us.  We own a house here as well and have considered buy an RV lot as a go to place if the travelling thing changes for us.  If you buy in an SKP park, then you wont make $ but you wont lose $ either when you sell it.  The lot can be rented when you arent using it and its a home base when you need it, a place you can call HOME.

I'm interested in the answers you get on Texas health care, as SKP is headquartered in Livingstone, and when my parents were SKPs they had Texas domicile, but Pops had a GREAT package from a Fortune 100 company, so benis were taken care of. 

Marcel

11 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

I am in Cali too.  Have been thinking of some of the same things.  Here is the direction we are looking at.

We're 59/61 and self-employed.  With low income, we qualified for the ACA, which Mr Trump is trying to replace.  We'll see how that all shakes out, but in the meantime we get a significant portion of our premium covered so with it now, we pay ~$160/mo for Kaiser for both of us.  

As I've said to others in a similar situation (i.e., pre-Medicare), you may want to wait until your 65 and eligible for Medicare before you hit the road or at least wait for the ACA reforms to shake out.

Or, at the very least, forget about TX (and SD) as possible domicile states. The "standard" reasons for selecting TX, SD, or FL as fulltimer domicile states was lack of a state tax plus the availability of Escapees mail forwarding services. However, if you're under 65, these reasons are eclipsed by the lack of good healthcare in two of these states (TX and SD). FL has BCBS EPO health plans that could serve RVers.

My wife and I started fulltiming in 2013 when I was 63 and she was 62. For health care we used my COBRA, then the ACA for her for 2 years and now we're both finally on Medicare. Yahoo!

Currently, CA has some very good ACA plans.

Some resources:

www.healthsherpa.com -- plug in any ZIP code and find out what ACA plans are currently available.

www.rverinsurance.com -- Escapee-sponsored web site

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We used coveredca.com  

It was a good site and took us through the process.  The claim that premiums have gone up more than expected and without any control is a fact.  We had a $64/mo premium the first year, it doubled the next year and we are in our third year with it as stated previously.  Only once did we use it, but were we glad we had it.  A $50K medical bill made us appreciative.  So, now if the administration can deliver on controlling premium costs, would be a great gift.

Marcel

13 hours ago, Gray Wizard said:

This is my first ever "discussion forum"

Welcome, we are happy you chose us!

My wife is CA born but grew up wanting to leave and that may be the main reason she married me! But at the moment it may not be a good move to leave until you find an answer to the healthcare problem. Since CA does require you to have a physical address in the state in order to maintain your driver's license and vehicle registrations, you may want to move slowly on this. Zulu has done a lot of research on the healthcare issue and what I read does support his accuracy so be very careful. If you have coverage supplied by your previous employer you might be OK, but make sure that a change in state of domicile will not harm that coverage before you do anything to change it.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Stating your monthly premium for any insurance is only a small part of the costs.  What is the deductible, copay, and max out of pocket?  This allows someone following this thread to see and compare other's plans.

IOW what is the total yearly cost of your insurance plan?  Whether you use it or not.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

My costs were shared only for comparison's sake.  Each situation is unique and different, therefore, the cost is likewise.  I used zero comparisons before making my decision, because I fully understand that each is individual.  

I do, though, appreciate all that forum contributors offer and use it as information to consider things that perhaps, without the contributions, I might not have otherwise considered or known about.

To all::

Thanks for sharing.

Marcel

Archived