Preparing to be a NEWBE

Smokey27

I'm about to purchase a 36' Class A motor-home to travel the country with my wife. I will most likely be purchasing a 24' enclosed trailer to tow my SUV & motorcycle. The motor-home is rated to pull everything but my question is with CDL licensing. My mechanic informed me any trailer over 10,000lbs needs CDL. I know this is a GRAY area between Commercial & Recreational Use. ANY INPUT would be Greatly Appreciated. 

I think he is thinking more on the comercal end not the recreational end but with a 24ft trailer you may be pushing the length limit and you will have problems in some parks parking the trailer.

We have some friends that pull a long trailer and they went with a all aluminum trailer to keep the wieght down and they stay out of a few states because of length.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Some states require an endorsment for towing over 10,000,  some also require an endorsement if a vehicle or combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer are over 26,000.  We won't call it a CDL, lets just call it an enhanced DL so all the present or past CDL holders don't get their panies in a knot.

Consult your state DMV for their requirements.  If your state doesn't have any requirement then your free to travel the country.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

m age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.

Welcome to the Escapee forums, Smokey! Happy to have you with us. 

On the driver's license, there is nothing gray about it as you don't need a commercial license, but some state do have restrictions on what you can drive with your various types of license. The place to start is with the PA department of motor vehicles. If you plan to keep your PA home and travel part time then they are the key to your answer as all states will honor the legal driving licenses of every other state. Looking to that site, I found the following information:

NON-COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSES

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived