Towing a 5'er with an F150??

cattflight

There's a guy in the site next to us today with a 33-35' Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheel. I know that's not the heaviest 5er out there, but he's got it hitched to a factory F150 Lariat! Yikes! That trailer has got to be at least 10k lbs empty and the F150 would be lucky to have a towing capacity higher than 8k lbs. I have to imagine his dealer was like "oh, sure. That truck will tow this no problem!" 

At least he is not driving it at the moment. Suggest you wait at least a day after he pulls out to leave so he will have a head start!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

20 hours ago, cattflight said:

...There's a guy in the site next to us today with a 33-35' Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheel. I know that's not the heaviest 5er out there, but he's got it hitched to a factory F150 Lariat! Yikes! That trailer has got to be at least 10k lbs empty and the F150 would be lucky to have a towing capacity higher than 8k lbs...

How sure are you of your guestimates? The Reflection 150 has a GVWR of 9495#. The tow ratings and payload capacity of the F150 have changed a lot in recent years. Depending on the model, engine and other options the towing and payload for a Lariat  can be a little over 11,000# and close to 3,000#.

He is likely very close to his max ratings, but Is he over weight? As said: 

18 hours ago, nineback said:

The issue is hardly ever how much weight it can tow. It is all about how much carrying capacity the truck has.  That little yellow sticker inside the driver's door will tell you that.

You would also have to look at the DOT sticker on the trailer for the GVWR or actually weigh it as loaded. The Gross Combined Weight Rating of the truck could also come into play, so the total weight of both rigs is needed before the weight police can make a valid determination.

The lightest current Reflection fifth wheels have a GVWR of 10,995. There are several folks over on the Grand Design forums towing those small ones with F150s with the larger EcoBoost engine with Max Tow and Max Payload packages. Properly equipped, the new F150 has the capacity for these smaller fifth wheels - and the trailer brakes are for stopping the trailer.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

All those cute little numbers that add up to "sure, the truck will just barely tow the trailer" don't help a bit when you have to swerve because some numbnut car driver cuts you off on a downhill curve or in a cross wind and you end up upside down because the trailer is driving the truck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the concern of stopping. The trailer axle brake is designed to stop it's max carry weight and the brakes should be inspected to make sure they are 100% operational. Even an overweight rig will still stop, just 3' further, (so don't tailgate, problem solved). What am I missing here with all this concern of stopping?? Before you challenge my experience, I have been towing for years and some commercially and have experienced failed brakes before and always managed, but no brakes is still a rare event.

Greg

1 hour ago, gjhunter01 said:

Even an overweight rig will still stop, just 3' further,

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this forum.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Sure, but it will take you at least 4'.

The stopping is not the ridiculous part.  The idea that only an additional 3' is needed is.

I've towed trailers for over 30 years.  I have experienced electric trailer brake failures.  They do happen.  If you are reliant on electric trailer brakes to control your vehicle, you are gambling not only your life, but the passengers with you and all of the other lives around you on the highway.  If you're comfortable with that gamble, that's your choice.  I'm not, so I chose another option to handle my heavy trailer, something that will control the trailer without the need of brakes in the event of a failure.

I've towed my current 5er with 3 different trucks.  My modified '94 Ram 2500, my father-in-law's '16 Ram 3500 dually and my '12 Volvo.  Both Rams are easily over powered by my trailer without the use of the electric brakes.  The Volvo isn't.  For me that makes for an easy choice.  Not to mention I have less than half the cost of my FIL's dually in my Volvo.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Ok, so In was wrong and 4' is needed for the stopping distance. For a tow vehicle and trailer where both units have brakes, if one units brakes fail, then the other unit should be able to stop the rig and yes it may take 4' longer to stop. The situation where a units brakes fail should not happen very often, like I said a rare occurance at most. Last weekend I was driving my fathers 18 year old P/U truck and a rusted brake line broke, but I was still able to stop using the emergency brakes, first time in my life that ever happened. I would not consider a brake issue to be the sole reason for a vehicle upgrade, but at the same time if you want to own a HDT, that should be good enough of a reason on it's own.

As far as a HDT cost being cheaper, that is false information. You need to compare a same model year P/U to a same year HDT including luxury options. Then you need to compare maint cost for the HDT, like tires, oil, batteries, everything is a $500 cost/more + labor. Two of my family members are owner/operators and I'm very in-tune to the maint cost for HDT's. There are a couple of HDT's for sale on this forum, the maint items listed as being done add up to more than the sale price of the HDT if you do the math. HDT's are money pits if you keep them maintained properly.

As far as safety, lets compare a P/U truck to a HDT on safety features, the P/U wins hands down for being safer in an accident with it's air bags, safety bumper, collapseable steering wheel, cab design, ABS brakes, the list goes on. In a HDT frontal crash, the main benefit is you can grab a drink from the refrig as it crashes through the front window. :)

Greg

We had our 19500lb Carrilite push us 1/2 mile down an interstate during a panic stop... Panic stop was induced by a car that was barrel rolling in front of us.  Ripped out the brake lines on the RV by debris flying off the rolling car- and the surge forward bent the pins that held the hitch to the truck bed rails.  Dodge dually- Pac Brake- Powerslot rotors- Geen Stuff brake pads-  all worked according to the book.... the trailer didn't read the book and just pushed us down the interstate

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

While I don't own and have never owned a fifth wheel, I do own and have owned several travel trailers and have also towed many cargo trailers of various types so have some experience in dealing with many of the same issues. Stopping the combined vehicles is an important part of picking the right tow vehicle but it really goes far beyond that issue. The ability to handle the load while traveling under less than ideal conditions is of nearly as great importance and if you travel much, the difficulty of driving the combination is also a serious issue as you work harder to maintain safe control if you have a minimum of tow vehicle for the weight of the trailer, whether fiver, TT, or a cargo trailer.  More truck usually means better stability and easier travel. It is far more enjoyable to travel when the tow vehicle is loaded to 80% rated capacity or less. That becomes even more important if the driver has limited experience or if age is beginning to impact his driving skills. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Four extra feet??? Stopping distance is relative to speed, as is braking capacity to gross weight.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray, you are very much correct.  I was being a smart a$$ with the 4' remark, to show how ludicrous Greg's 3' comment was.  I think (hope) he knows this. 

From his pervious comment history, it can be inferred that Greg hates HDTs and is a staunch advocate that a pickup can do the same job only better and cheaper.  My opinion and experience differs greatly from this position.  To each, their own. 

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

The last sentence in the above post says it all......"To each, their own". 

I do believe our truck is very capable of safely towing and stopping our fifth wheel and this and the previous F350 has for over 10 years.  I understand that many want a HDT for towing because of their reasons and experiences.  We each have what we want and need, life is good.  Regarding a F150 towing a fifth wheel, not so sure that's a good fit.          Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Rather than buying the smallest truck I can to legally tow my RV. . . I go the other way and want a large cushion of extra capacity on the tow vehicle.  It makes for a much more enjoyable towing experience.  And I just can't imagine trying to live with myself if I had an accident because I couldn't stop or lost control and killed a family, simply because I was trying to save a few bucks on the truck.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Archived