Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dgezy

Gluing WIFI Ranger to top of RV

Recommended Posts

dgezy   

For those of you who have glued your WIFI Ranger SKY to the top of your RV or to your raisable TV antenna, what glue did you use and obviously how is it working so far?

Thanks

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docj   
1 hour ago, dgezy said:

For those of you who have glued your WIFI Ranger SKY to the top of your RV or to your raisable TV antenna, what glue did you use and obviously how is it working so far?

Just to clarify one thing, I don't think you'd want to mount a WFR Sky on the TV mast.  That's a mounting location that has been used for the old Mobile device and could be adapted to an Elite, but the Sky is designed to be mounted flat on a roof.

I mounted my DirecTV SWM switch to my roof using automotive trim tape and it's still in place after several years.   As Mark suggested adhesive caulks will also work.  There are also holes in the Sky's base for small screws if you don't mind drilling holes into the roof (those could easily be sealed with Dicor).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can use any adhesive caulk compatible with your roof covering. I've used 5200, but that is overkill. I also have used adhesive silicone caulk on fiberglass. VHB tape works well too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Dicor self sealing sealant and 4 self tapping screws.  I'm confident I won't get a leak (I also use Dicor over the screw heads) and I know if ever I need to take it off it will be no problem.

== John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2017 at 7:26 PM, Charlied said:

How is it working so far?

If this was aimed at me, I installed it 6 months ago or so, have got maybe 3,000 miles and no issues.  I don't expect any, but those are always "famous last words"....

 

== John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlied   

I want to know what speeds you get, does it improve data speed, it make the tv work better when using the phone sharing the connection, I KNOW i's staying on the roof, lol. does it make the limited service at the parks like a  dsl line? Is it worth it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docj   
2 hours ago, Charlied said:

I want to know what speeds you get, does it improve data speed, it make the tv work better when using the phone sharing the connection, I KNOW i's staying on the roof, lol. does it make the limited service at the parks like a  dsl line? Is it worth it?

With all due respect, I don't think you fully understand what a WiFiRanger or any other wifi amplifier will do for you.

First of all, what such devices primarily do is ensure that you have a good solid connection to the park's wifi and they can significantly increase the distance at which such a connection can be made. This will ensure that you get the maximum speed possible given the operating capabilities of the wifi.  No amplifier, no matter what brand, can guarantee that you will achieve any particular download speed--that's totally a function of the park's capabilities.  One thing I always warn prospective customers is that no wifi amplifier can make a poor, overloaded wifi system into a good one.

Specifically addressing your question "does it make the limited service at the parks like a DSL line?"  The answer, as I've already stated is "probably not" since the primary impact of the device is in your ability to connect to the wifi at a distance, not in the speed of your connection.

As for your question "is it worth it?" that's something only you can decide.  Do you expect to use park wifi?  Do you like having all the devices on your network connected to a single router so the entire network can be switched from one internet source to another?  Those sorts of questions will determine if it is worth it for you.

As for your question does "it make the TV work better when using the phone sharing the connection" I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.  The Ranger doesn't have anything to do with your TV unless, of course, you are streaming video over the wifi, but otherwise there would be no effect that I can think of.

 

Joel (AKA docj)

Edited by docj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlied   

I was just being caddy for the most part, you answered it great. I read the ads and can't quite separate the hyped ads from truth of the device. For $500 for some, I expected unreasonable results. Thanks for clearing it up for me. If just connecting but not being able to stream netflix or whatever you want with one of those, I don't think there's much there there.  THANKS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Charlied said:

I For $500 for some, I expected unreasonable results. Thanks for clearing it up for me. If just connecting but not being able to stream netflix or whatever you want with one of those, I don't think there's much there there.  THANKS

It is not something that will increase ANY wifi speed beyond the backhaul speed. There is no such device. It simply allows you to get the available speed and available quality farther away, as Joel stated. 

If you walk right up to the Access Point in the park with your laptop and test it, this is what ALL the wifi capture devices allow you to do - but just farther away. What you get next to the access point is all you are ever going to get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have three hotspots in my RV: an unlimited ATT via Mobley ZTE, Verizon 2GB jetpack, and an 8GB T-Mobile jetpack.  The ATT was a recent addition, and will soon replace the T-Mobile which I bought two years because of unlimited streaming.  The Verizon I use primarily for my phones (I have Verizon phone service).

So my WiFi Ranger comes in quite handy when I'm traveling.  I have about 7 devices in my RV that access the internet, and all through my WFRanger.  So all my devices have a constant access point.  When I arrive at a park I check on my WFRanger for any local free access points that have enough speed, and I will log in to that.  If I can't find one, I use the WFRanger to find the best of my own hotspots in that location.

So the WiFiRanger system allows for a better choice of how I connect to the internet while keeping each device in my RV on a simple connection.

By offloading some of my unlimited to "free" local sites I keep my data use down, even if it is unlimited.  I do a lot of photography work and use a lot of data... after a long trip last month I used 92GB of ATT data, plus a bunch of "free" local sites.

Hope this helps.

== John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlied   

EXACTLY what I was wanting to know John, thanks so much.  We also have wireless laptops, smart tv's, a ATT box, 2 cells with unlimited data. We're looking for a better way to use it all and don't want to waste a pile on different stuff that doesn't work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, John Laninga said:

I have three hotspots in my RV: an unlimited ATT via Mobley ZTE, Verizon 2GB jetpack, and an 8GB T-Mobile jetpack.  The ATT was a recent addition, and will soon replace the T-Mobile which I bought two years because of unlimited streaming.  The Verizon I use primarily for my phones (I have Verizon phone service).

So my WiFi Ranger comes in quite handy when I'm traveling.  I have about 7 devices in my RV that access the internet, and all through my WFRanger.  So all my devices have a constant access point.  When I arrive at a park I check on my WFRanger for any local free access points that have enough speed, and I will log in to that.  If I can't find one, I use the WFRanger to find the best of my own hotspots in that location.

So the WiFiRanger system allows for a better choice of how I connect to the internet while keeping each device in my RV on a simple connection.

By offloading some of my unlimited to "free" local sites I keep my data use down, even if it is unlimited.  I do a lot of photography work and use a lot of data... after a long trip last month I used 92GB of ATT data, plus a bunch of "free" local sites.

Hope this helps.

== John

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rvonthego.com

Rv Share

Dish For My RV Military Offer.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.



×