Qwimby1

Truck stops

I posted this in the boondocking section first, but it appears it's more appropriate on this forum.   For six years, ending in 2005, I roamed the country staying almost exclusively in flying J's overnight.  I never had a problem and was never turned away.  I don't know if it's still the case. Can anyone advise?  Are Flying Js and other truck stops such as TA and Pilot still open to RV ONP? 

I've read a little bit about potential problems at truck stops now, which  didn't exist before.  One thing I read is the truckers now resent RVs because new driving rules requiring rest periods make the truck stops more congested.  At the time most flying Js had  RV parking in front and truck parking in the rear.  Since my rig with trailer was 64 feet overall, I always parked in the rear with trucks.  I also found rear areas to be quieter.  There would often be parties and a lot of traffic out front, while the guys in back were just interested in sleeping.  If you don't mind the sound of the refrigerators running it wasn't a big deal..

We have spent nights at trucks stops if we are off of the road early. They fill up fast and are often full by 6:00 PM. We have never had a problem staying in one but then again, our tow vehicle is a Kenworth T680 so we fit in a little better than some. 

We typically overnight near one, while making miles, but we try to leave the actual lot spaces to the professional drivers. It's usually quieter a bit further out, the exercise makes the morning coffee taste that much better, and gives the dog more room for business.

You can stop at truck stops, but yes you may get some angry looks.  The issue is normally with RV'rs that open slides and take up two or more spaces.  Yes truck drivers are now required by law to have 10 hours consecutive off (normally in a sleeper) after being on-duty for 14 hours, or after driving for 11 hours.  This is why most truck stops start filling up around the time the sun goes down.  The other issue is many companies (not all) but many have what is known as "Sitting Duck Policy"  This does not allow them to park on off-ramps, or sides of roads where they can be hijacked, or in an accident etc.  They are forced to find a truck stop.  While truck stops cater to professional drivers, many years ago they realized they were missing a lot of business.  So they renamed their businesses to Travel Centers and tried to pull in autos that pass by.  But truckers are their bread & butter.  They are not the best place for RV's to stay the night due to most truckers will idle, or high idle their engines to keep warm, or cool.  So there is a lot of noise with the sound of 100 or more trucks with engines running.

I've been on both sides, I am a professional truck driver, and I own a Diesel pusher RV.  I don't generally get upset with RV's that take a space, as long as they don't have slides open and take up more than one space.  Or I've seen RV's that can't back up and park over lines.  If you stay at a truck stop, I would just advise to be respectful, and keep your slides in, you should be OK.