Class of 2019

mds1

Moved into our RV the end of May & put our house on the market. The pic is from our first weekend trip after getting our RV in April. Our house has sold & closes in 3 days! My DH Bruce is retiring at the end of August and we will be off! So ready to travel!

IMG_20190420_121233423.jpg

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Cheryl Mc said:

Moved into our RV the end of May & put our house on the market. The pic is from our first weekend trip after getting our RV in April. Our house has sold & closes in 3 days! My DH Bruce is retiring at the end of August and we will be off! So ready to travel!

Congratulations Cheryl,

We have similar good news to report as well. After much effort and considerable emotions we got our house ready for sell. Sold in three days for slightly more than asking price. New would be owners wanted to move in August 8th but we asked to push closing off until August 26th. We are on the road traveling and will be home just long enough for the final sale of possessions and moving stuff to a small (10x5) storage unit.  We are going to domicile in Texas. Although I'll be at my current job until maybe the first of October, I figure we will join Escapees as soon as possible and get our mail service setup. Hoping we can travel around for a couple months then head to Livingston to finish off the residency stuff such as driver license and insurance. Got to find a local doctor as well.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

We've been "homeless" since the end of May.  Some European travel in June and a long planned visit to Yellowstone with our oldest grandaughter in July have kept us busy.

Starting this week we are full time in our 2019 Lance 1172 TC and 2017 Ford F450.

Currently in the Green Mountains of Vermont

Moose and Squirrel small.jpg

Oooh, I do love the mountain graphics on your TC! I know, lots of people don’t, but I do!

I’ll be interested to hear how you make out full-timing in the 1172, you probably have almost as much living space as I do in my little trailer, though I probably have more storage space. I know that how much space one feels comfortable in is an individual thing, but I sometimes wonder if I’ll want a bigger trailer (and truck) after a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Last fall we were working as camp hosts in southeast Georgia at a state park. It was our third winter away from snowy Indiana in our Jayco and we loved it. It might have been over a cold beverage sitting around the campfire that my wife pointed out states that we need to visit & camp in to fill out our USA & Canada map with stickers. Pretty soon the talk got serious about how we could make that possible. It would require becoming full-time RV'ers. Done. We decided to go to Texas to establish domicile and a Texas address from Escapees Mail Service. Done. In April we returned to our Indiana home to pack up all our stuff before renting out the house. Done. We are still hanging out in central Indiana, but have winter plans made. We also have plans to head to New England next spring and start filling in the few remaining blank states on our USA map. Become full-timers? Done 2019.

Gary & Darlene

2010 Jayco Designer 35rlsa 

2010 F350 SD dually

VisitedStatesMap.gif.6c7f56497d82810555a7838e2fe311c7.gif

Very cool story! Congrats on getting it all together.

I just dropped the price on my house again and it’s been shown twice. I have my fingers crossed, hoping for an offer in the next couple of weeks, so I can officially join the class of 2019.

At least the septic system is finished, so I am now free to travel. I spent last week going through my trailer stuff, as I had realized that my trailer was overweight. It looks like I might start off with some of my extra RV stuff in the storage unit, something I hadn’t planned on. At the moment I’m testing my smaller AC against temps around 105-8F, something I’ve never done before. It’s an interesting experiment, not something I would want to do on a regular basis though.

20 minutes ago, fpmtngal said:

Very cool story! Congrats on getting it all together.

I just dropped the price on my house again and it’s been shown twice. I have my fingers crossed, hoping for an offer in the next couple of weeks, so I can officially join the class of 2019.

At least the septic system is finished, so I am now free to travel. I spent last week going through my trailer stuff, as I had realized that my trailer was overweight. It looks like I might start off with some of my extra RV stuff in the storage unit, something I hadn’t planned on. At the moment I’m testing my smaller AC against temps around 105-8F, something I’ve never done before. It’s an interesting experiment, not something I would want to do on a regular basis though.

Glad to hear you got the septic system done. Hopefully you will have an offer on the house soon.

Wow! That's some warm temps. We camped a few weeks ago in 99° temps. With just a single 15K unit in a 32 Ft. rig, it just keeps up. Wish we had the two 11K unit option, but I usually try to stay out of high temps by going to the mountains up around 9000 feet this time of year.

55 minutes ago, CasperBob said:

Glad to hear you got the septic system done. Hopefully you will have an offer on the house soon.

Wow! That's some warm temps. We camped a few weeks ago in 99° temps. With just a single 15K unit in a 32 Ft. rig, it just keeps up. Wish we had the two 11K unit option, but I usually try to stay out of high temps by going to the mountains up around 9000 feet this time of year.

My small 21’ trailer has a 9K Coleman and this is the first time I’ve felt it couldn’t keep up. I’ve only camped one other time in over 100F weather, and that was just an overnight stop in Mesquite, on my way to the Utah and Wyoming mountains. Yuma in the winter is nice. Yuma in the summer? Not so much.

I don’t have a slide awning, I’m now wondering if one would help with this extreme heat. I’ve been thinking about talking to Shade Pros this January in Quartzsite about replacing my awning with Sunbrella material anyway, maybe add a slide awning, too?

On 8/27/2018 at 3:03 PM, Tawnya said:

Joining the class of '19....and have almost all questions, no answers. Joined escapees awhile ago, but then postponed RV life to May 2019. Lease on our rental house expires 31 May, so have a definite deadline. Will be attending boot camp in Livingston in Nov. Plan to buy Dodge 350 dually in Dec, and a used RV sometime between sooner and later, but hoping after boot camp so we know more of what to look out for.

After the last year+ of searching and thinking (shortened to schtinking), we are looking for an under 40' 5th wheel toy hauler, with the idea of using the garage for the washer, a freezer, a desk, the grill, plants and maybe a scooter or two. 

We are currently living NE of Houston, so will keep domicile here in TX, but lived in Japan and Singapore from 1978 to 2016, so have no attachment to the area. Haven't seen much of the US, so looking forward to travelling, and are very used to small living quarters. Our first apt was 400 sq ft, with an office and a baby. We also have our first-ever clothes dryer here, and don't use it much at all.

In SG we ran Boy and Girl Scouts, so plenty of experience camping, and RVed through New Zealand for our best-ever holiday. Hardest thing will be to deal with much of our art and mementos of the last 40 years. Kids aren't nearly as excited as I had hoped! 😉

Update to above--in Jan we bought a 2016 Momentum 350 from a family that had only used it twice. Started flushing, cleaning testing it in April, and moved in in May. Took a trailer full of stuff to Navy son in Norfolk, and had an estate sale early May. Tried FB marketplace a bit, but that was a nightmare, so ended up donating most everything to AmVets. Kept a few things that kids didn't want, but have free storage in a cousin's shed. 

(Over) Loaded up the toyhauler for our first long road trip to Pgh to give daughter the things she wanted. Learned a lot on the trip, like we are quite happy to drive no more than one tank's worth of distance, don't really like interstates, and it's not always the roof clearance you have to worry about at a gas station. And having AAA for a blowout is worth every penny at the end of a long day.

Now back in Houston, just in time for the heat wave. Fortunately the previous owner loaded up with three aircons, so we are very comfortable!

I retired from my fulltime career August 1, however, I have taken a contract to continue working for my former employer.  My contract calls for me to work in a different office which is in the southern part of the state I live in.  I am excited about living in State Parks or on Federal lands while I am working.  I hope that working this contract period will break the need I feel to continue working full time in retirement.  

On 7/23/2019 at 11:54 AM, Cheryl Mc said:

UPDATE: House sale went fine, so we are houseless, but not homeless!  Loving our RV life, other than the heat in Houston! Our college daughter came & stayed with us for 3 weeks & left this morning. We were concerned about having 3 adults & 3 dogs in the rig full-time, but she loved the RV, said it was comfy & the life was fun!  It greatly helped that we have a bunk over the cab of our class A. We put curtains up so she could block off the bunk & have her privacy.

Hubby retires next week, and we plan on leaving here Sept 1 for FT travel! Still rearranging stuff, but not sure that will ever change.

Edited by Cheryl Mc
More info

Great stories!!! Keep them coming!

I have a nibble on my house. It’s a contingency offer, so I’ll be on pins and needles until the buyer’s house closes, supposed to be August 30th. Assuming that happens and the rest goes smoothly, I could be houseless by September 20th. 

I’ll head home September 1st to start that final push. Until then I won’t believe it will happen. 

It's official. We moved into our fifth wheel full time last night.  House is sold but closing was delayed. We decided to go ahead and move out. Parked in a wonderful county park for now.  Started planning September 2014. Thank goodness for having the time to take this in small steps.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

15 hours ago, mds1 said:

It's official. We moved into our fifth wheel full time last night.  House is sold but closing was delayed. We decided to go ahead and move out. Parked in a wonderful county park for now.  Started planning September 2014. Thank goodness for having the time to take this in small steps.

Woo hoo! Congrats big time! Glad your plan worked out well and you are officially a member of the class of 2019!

Am I so envious (fingers crossed that I might join you in a month).

9 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

Woo hoo! Congrats big time! Glad your plan worked out well and you are officially a member of the class of 2019!

Am I so envious (fingers crossed that I might join you in a month).

I'll cross mine also. Good luck. That final month or two of getting ready was crazy. We are taking the next couple days to heal!

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

The Class of 2019 looks like it's going to be a good one. We are Class members of 2008 and one of the best things we did was have a graduation and mortgage burning ceremony at Quartzsite the following January. That let us meet a bunch face to face to tighten the bond of being classmates. The method is simple: 1. pick a date that will let most of you attend, 2. the first ones there pick a site big enough for all of you, 3. post the coordinates of that site to your classmates. (The mortgages we burned were not the real ones but the symbolism was great!)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

26 minutes ago, sandsys said:

The Class of 2019 looks like it's going to be a good one. We are Class members of 2008 and one of the best things we did was have a graduation and mortgage burning ceremony at Quartzsite the following January. That let us meet a bunch face to face to tighten the bond of being classmates. The method is simple: 1. pick a date that will let most of you attend, 2. the first ones there pick a site big enough for all of you, 3. post the coordinates of that site to your classmates. (The mortgages we burned were not the real ones but the symbolism was great!)

Linda Sand

What a fabulous idea! If my house really closes, count me in!

I know I’ll be in Quartzsite in January (get-together with friends for the third time), and I’ll most likely get an LTVA permit and spend the winter around Arizona and southern Nevada.

21 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda Sand

I, too think it's a great idea! We plan on being in the L.A. are for Christmas and haven't made plans beyond that, so it shouldn't be hard for us to make it to Quartzite in January!

Cheryl

On 9/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, Cheryl Mc said:

Hey gang! We started our full-time travels today & created a Facebook page for them! If anyone is interested in following along, we're Mad Macs Coddiwomple.

Well done!  Safe travels! 

I'm on pins and needles today, hoping my realtor calls me sooner rather than later to let me know if my "nibble" is a full-on "bite".  My "nibble" is a contingency offer and if their property closes today like it's supposed to, the contingencies should be released tomorrow (hope, hope). I haven't made any plans on where I'll go and won't until after I'm sure the buyer won't back out for some reason.  And what am I doing spending hours here on the computer?  There are things that I could be doing but somehow I'm so afraid something will happen and the house won't sell.

Busy day ahead for us so I won't bore you all with too many details.  We have been RVing for about 15 years and have recently sold our home(s).  Tomorrow is the first official day of "Full Time" status as we depart for Livingston to "formalize" our domicile.    Sign me up for the class of 2019!!!

Edited by Texas Shriner

1 hour ago, Texas Shriner said:

Busy day ahead for us so I won't bore you all with too many details.  We have been RVing for about 15 years and have recently sold our home(s).  Tomorrow is the first official day of "Full Time" status as we depart for Livingston to "formalize" our domicile.    Sign me up for the class of 2019!!!

Another success story! Love it! Safe travels tomorrow as you head to Livingston (and I’m envious!).