mds1

Class of 2019

Hi everybody!

My name is Jenn and my husband is Jonathan. We are both in our 40's. We will be joining the Class of 2019. Our house is currently on the market and we are doing everything we can to get that puppy sold!! We live in Maryland right now and are so ready to get on the road.

We will be purchasing a Fifth Wheel and dually F450 with the proceeds of our sale. We're going to be living and travelling with the youngest of our 4 daughters (she's 7), our 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Our three oldest daughters are either in college or ready to start college so now that they are gone we're ready to downsize. They all think we are crazy but we are really looking forward to the freedom.

Right now we are trying to find something we can do on the road in the way of jobs so we can take our youngest out of school and travel for a year. After that we'll be settling down in Texas. My husband has always wanted to return to Texas to live. He lived there for a time as a young boy. I'm just ready to get out of Maryland so I'll be happy anywhere.

We have never owned an RV or even traveled in one before but we are so looking forward to jumping in and learning all we can about this new life. Any and all advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hope to see some of you on the road in the future. Our goal is to get to Escapade next year!

Jenn & Jonathan,

If you read my post above you’ll see we are in the same boat as you right now trying to sell our house.  We’re trying to be patient but also getting antsy for something to break loose.  We are looking forward to the freedom of the road.  For jobs while on the road we are planning to attend the Xscapers Convergence in January to pick everyone’s brain to figure out how to make some income while being able to travel.  The only advice I can give you on your fifth wheel purchase is to give yourself some time to become familiar with it before trying to travel across the country.  Be prepared for breakdowns along the way.  Good luck and hope to meet you guys on the road someday.  

6 minutes ago, Macky & Trish Bailey said:

The only advice I can give you on your fifth wheel purchase is to give yourself some time to become familiar with it before trying to travel across the country.  Be prepared for breakdowns along the way.

I have been around RVs for over 36 years.  I have had almost all types.  I also have taken RV repair classes and have engaged in RV repair and improvements.  I am a Contractor with 30+ years of experience, and since before that I have worked on vehicles and machinery and still do.  Dont figure that you will buy a NEW RV and have NO problems.  Todays quality of new units is very much in question due to the high demand, so buy it as early as you can and become proficient in using it,  towing, setting up, breaking down, maintenance etc.  It is a different way to live and you will need to become versed in the lifestyle.  

There are many posts each day from people who are working through some issue and are looking for help.  And many of there are from EXPERIENCED RVers.  This is not flicking a switch, its a lifestyle change.  You can do it, but be pragmatic and learn as soon as possible.  It will be your house, and after your sell you S&B house, your only other option for lodging may be your truck, a friends couch or a motel.  That is inconvenient and/or costly.  Dont be afraid, but be prepared.

Enjoy the journey!

We have been heavily researching and hitting as many dealers and RV shows as possible to narrow down our choice. We know what we're going to buy and will most likely buy used; one because of the cosmetic changes we want to make to it and two in the hopes that some of the initial "new RV" bugs will have been worked out. We won't be hitting the road immediately. We have to wait for our last of our oldest daughters to graduate high school and get her settled at college. So, we'll be living in it for awhile and taking weekend trips before we really get out there and start doing some heavy adventuring.