slackercruster

How off-kilter can the fridge be?

A RV mechanic told me if the rig is level enough for sleeping it is good enough for the fridge? True or false?

I don't get mine perfect level, but I try to get it half-ass level. I am only off-kilter a little, for a few days at most anyway.

Is one off level way worse than the other for the fridge? Like sideways unleveled or level from the front to rear of the rig?

I have been told that the newer units not knowing what year is considered newer have a better resistance to being off level. But I go for at least 1/2 bubble or better, WHEN IN USE 

Ed's got it about right. That's a quick and simple method that's right about on track. Half a bubble in.

The general rule is to stay within 3 degrees of level. That works out to approximately 1/2" per 3 feet if you choose to use the measure method. It may not sound like much, but for a long 40'er that could mean a 20" differential from front to rear.

That being said though... it really is best to try and stay on level whenever possible. Even slightly off will raise the operating temperature and over a period of time degrade your cooling unit. 

Edited by Yarome

In a seminar put on by Dometic several years ago, it was stated that modern absorption refrigerators can be as much as 6° off of level from the front door to back of the refrigerator and as much as 3° off level side to side and have very little or no effect. Thus the choice for your RV depends on which way the refrigerator is mounted in the RV. For most people, if you level to the point that it doesn't bother your at all, your refrigerator will be happy. Most people will want the floor within 1° to 2° of level for comfort.

On 6/19/2017 at 4:07 PM, Kirk Wood said:

In a seminar put on by Dometic several years ago, it was stated that modern absorption refrigerators can be as much as 6° off of level from the front door to back of the refrigerator and as much as 3° off level side to side and have very little or no effect. Thus the choice for your RV depends on which way the refrigerator is mounted in the RV. For most people, if you level to the point that it doesn't bother your at all, your refrigerator will be happy. Most people will want the floor within 1° to 2° of level for comfort.

Bingo! I was waiting for that, it's also in the service manual of both mfgrs. If one calculates those degrees into inches per foot of RV, it would be quite difficult to live that much out of level.