Broken Door Handle - Trapped inside

cschlintz

Hadn't thought about you contacting an RV surplus and Salvage company. Here are three  possibilities:

http://www.quality-surplus-rv-parts.com/

http://www.rverscorner.com/rvsalvage.html

http://www.pellandent.com/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

An update... We were able to strap the door with a ratchet system well enough to get it to a shop in Beaumont TX (>500 miles from where the incident occurred).  In Beaumont, Sun Travel & RV (highly recommend) was able to patch the door (temporary solution) enough to get us on the road while we wait the 6+ weeks its going to take Georgetown to make us a door.  Last night I learned that the $6768 estimate for replacement (including repainting to match the coach with is full paint) was only authorized by insurance for $2634.  I am livid at the thought of paying more than $4000 plus the $800+ that I spent on the temporary fix. Roadside (Good Sam), Zippy Unlock (sent by roadside) and National General Insurance (Good Sam) are all at the receiving end of my eire. Am interviewing attorneys to get to a settlement.  Any suggestions for other actions to take? Any thoughts on engaging a legal advocate?  Your comments to date have helped (and I thank all of you) and I am hoping to learn more from your sharing posts.

When you first posted, you said a Mobile Service was coming out to open your door.  I thought you meant an RV Mobile Service.  Now, you mention Zippy Unlock as who responded.  Was this an unlock service sent by Good Sam who destroyed your door?  If so, now the story makes more sense as I can not imagine an actual RV technician tearing up a door to replace a broken door handle.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, chirakawa said:

When you first posted, you said a Mobile Service was coming out to open your door.  I thought you meant an RV Mobile Service.  Now, you mention Zippy Unlock as who responded.  Was this an unlock service sent by Good Sam who destroyed your door?  If so, now the story makes more sense as I can not imagine an actual RV technician tearing up a door to replace a broken door handle.

I asked for a mobile RV service and Good Sam would only send a locksmith.  Yes that does explain the damage - no real clue what they were doing.  IMHO they should have done nothing and called Good Sam to send a service that better matched the job.

3 hours ago, cschlintz said:

I asked for a mobile RV service and Good Sam would only send a locksmith.  Yes that does explain the damage - no real clue what they were doing.  IMHO they should have done nothing and called Good Sam to send a service that better matched the job.

I agree.  I feel for you.  The further you get into this rv'ing thing the more you realize that it's best to learn as much about your rv as you can because you just can't depend on the "pros" to do the right thing.

Hopefully, you'll get compensation for the wrong done to you.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

3 hours ago, cschlintz said:

IMHO they should have done nothing and called Good Sam to send a service that better matched the job.

I had a motorhome burglarized by teenage boys that did far less damage than you suffered. A locksmith is normally insured and they should have known better too. Most of what I am thinking about those involved is best expressed in language that is not appropriate for a public forum! Have you discussed this problem with your insurance agent? A good one should help to speak for you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

...they should have known better.

I agree. In all my years... I've NEVER seen anything close to that kind of damage over a busted lock or jammed door frame. It's rediculous!! 

I would most definately speak to your insurance company as well as a solicitor. You should be entitled to full repairs as well as other damages (loss of use, travel expenses to and from the repair facility, hotel during repairs, rental vehicle, etc.) due to their obvious negligence. That's right on the border of "willfull distruction of private propery." IMHO. I would be FUMING!!

I'm not generally one to jump on the "legal bandwagon", but those folks need to be stung hard enough that there is never a repeat. Sometimes "professionals" just need to learn to admit, "I am utterly unqualified to deal with this.", and pass the job over to someone that is. ;)

Archived