Cellular Data for Internet Connection

I did a brief search in this forum but could not find my answer.  Is anyone relying on cellular data (think IPad WIFI + Cellular or 4G) for their primary internet connection?

I have a Verizon JetPack that I use but am picking up an IPad with cellular soon.  Would like to give up the JetPack and rely on the IPad for the internet connection/surfing.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

ZTE Mobley unlimited data at $20 that your iPad can connect too plus 4 more devices.

Or a iPad with cellular data at $8-12 for 1 GB.

Your choice. :)

I connect my iPad Air WIFI + Cellular or 4G LTE to the Mobley. Don't pay for cellular on it.

Last month my Mobley used 45GB connected to a Desktop, Laptop, 2 iPads and a iPhone.
Total cost with taxes $22.01

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

When we switched over to T-Mobile last year we added an extra line with one of their "free" phones.  We use the extra phone as nothing more than a hotspot that we connect with our WiFi Ranger.  We've been out 3 months on this trip and haven't had any issues.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

9 hours ago, rynosback said:

I use a zte Mobley

1 hour ago, Biker56 said:

ZTE Mobley unlimited data at $20

X3! If you can find one for a decent price. eBay and Amazon are about the only places with them available at the moment. Amazon has the better deal @ $180. eBay sellers are typically $250-$300. AT&T website is still $99.99, but currently out of stock. More are expected this month (per their CS department), but last time around they sold out with-in a day or two.

The Amazon units require a bit more set-up and time (have to order a sim from AT&T, but it's free). They do come with very detailed instructions though. Through AT&T they come ready to use with free 2-day FedEx delivery.

Back to using the iPad alone.  How much data usage do you need in a month?  If you have a standalone plan on the iPad you will pay $50 for 5GB or $80 for 10GB from most carriers, with overage charges of $10 to $15 per GB.  You should be able to create a wifi hotspot off the iPad, which is what I do with my LG tablet on AT&T, if you need to, so it will replace a Jetpack.  

I also have a ZTE Mobely, but since it is on a month-to-month plan I know AT&T could change it anytime.  I don't want to depend on it being my only plan.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

8 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

$50 for 5GB or $80 for 10GB from most carriers

I don't know much about all the carriers options, but I know T-Mobile offers prepaid data only plans that "sound" more reasonable than the few I have looked at recently. $50 for 10GB $95 for 22GB.

I had T-Mobile last year and got tired of its lousy coverage.  Too many places in Oregon and California with no coverage or very slow speeds.  In a few years when they have their 600MHZ spectrum deployed and the devices have radios that support that spectrum, I might check again.  But for me a combination of Verizon and AT&T keeps me in service.  Most places both are good, but some places one is better or the only option.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I have been using my cellphone as a hotspot since I started RVing 7 years ago.  Back then Verizon wanted $50 a month for hotspot access but an unlimited cellphone package only cost $30.  Many of us used a PDA.net to connect our computers without going through Verizon or other carriers. 

iPhone on Verizon with the 8GB plan + 1 month data roll over.  iPhone works as a hot spot.  Easily connects with an Amazon Fire stick for TV and Netflix but getting or making calls while using as a hot spot causes connections to drop.  We stream a lot of programs and movies and have never gone over our data allowance.  Also download to Fire tablet for e-books, music and non-streaming video.  Always beats campground wi-fi.  Seriously considering dropping Dish subscription as we can get most all programs we want to watch via Internet.  Should we have any data overage it would still be cheaper than the Dish subscription.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We have two Verizon phones (android) and a Verizon tablet (not an iPad) each of which can be used as a hotspot.  We're on Verizon's unlimited plan, so we have a total of 30GB hotspot useage (10GB for each device), and 66GB data (22GB per device).

I see no reason why you can't use your iPad as a hotspot.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

22 hours ago, Yarome said:

I don't know much about all the carriers options, but I know T-Mobile offers prepaid data only plans that "sound" more reasonable than the few I have looked at recently. $50 for 10GB $95 for 22GB.

I love T-Mobile's prices!  Unfortunately, for where we travel, they simply don't yet have the coverage we need.

If you're thinking of going with T-Mobile, I'd suggest taking a look at their coverage map for the areas where you travel the most.  Having no coverage for a day or two as you travel is one thing; not having coverage in the places you stay for a week or more would be the pits!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

18 minutes ago, LindaH said:

I'd suggest taking a look at their coverage map

Good point.

I've never really paid much attention to coverage maps when choosing services. More by price for my very little amount of usage and it just works where it works. :P (No point paying $75/mnth for great coverage for something I may only use for 5-10 minutes a month)

Yeesh!! T-Mobile in the west... you're pretty much scr**ed! My tracfone has nearly double the voice/data coverage over T-Mobile and looking at AT&T's data map.. my Mobley has MORE than double the coverage than my Tracfone. :lol:

Albeit, not all areas are 4GLTE. Looks like Verizon still has AT&T beat on 4GLTE data coverage.

Very enlightening.

We've relied on cellular data as our primary internet since we hit the road back in 2006.  

At present time, we rely on a Verizon grandfathered unlimited data plan ($45/month) plus we have our phones on AT&T's new Unlimited Plus Plan and then added a mobile hotspot to that (it gets unlimited data, just network managed) for an extra $20/month. 

We also keep plans on T-Mobile and Sprint for testing purposes, but most often we rely on Verizon or AT&T. 

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

20 hours ago, RandyA said:

iPhone on Verizon with the 8GB plan + 1 month data roll over.  iPhone works as a hot spot.  Easily connects with an Amazon Fire stick for TV and Netflix but getting or making calls while using as a hot spot causes connections to drop.  We stream a lot of programs and movies and have never gone over our data allowance.  Also download to Fire tablet for e-books, music and non-streaming video.  Always beats campground wi-fi.  Seriously considering dropping Dish subscription as we can get most all programs we want to watch via Internet.  Should we have any data overage it would still be cheaper than the Dish subscription.

You must not watch much through the Firestick as steaming video eats up data FAST.  I think at a rate of 1-2 gigs an hour depending on what you are watching it on, 1080dp, HD OR SD.  I use 10-12 gigs a month just surfing and my wife with Facebook.  I think I have used about 50 gigs so far with my Firestick in about 2 weeks.

I'm not saying this to start a debate about what you use, but I just did not want the original poster of this thread to think he can stream and surf for a month on 8 gigs of data.

Nov 6, 2014 - According to Netflix, using their “High” data usage setting runs through 3 GB per hour when streaming High Definition (HD) videos and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD. The “Medium” setting only uses 0.7 GB per hour for a Standard Definition (SD) video

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 6/13/2017 at 1:24 PM, rynosback said:

You must not watch much through the Firestick as steaming video eats up data FAST.  I think at a rate of 1-2 gigs an hour depending on what you are watching it on, 1080dp, HD OR SD.  I use 10-12 gigs a month just surfing and my wife with Facebook.  I think I have used about 50 gigs so far with my Firestick in about 2 weeks.

I'm not saying this to start a debate about what you use, but I just did not want the original poster of this thread to think he can stream and surf for a month on 8 gigs of data.

Nov 6, 2014 - According to Netflix, using their “High” data usage setting runs through 3 GB per hour when streaming High Definition (HD) videos and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD. The “Medium” setting only uses 0.7 GB per hour for a Standard Definition (SD) video

I can't imagine burning through 10 to 12 GB surfing and using Facebook.  I could care less about Facebook and usually only soak up about 2 GB a month from Verizon data surfing.  As they say, "Different strokes for different folks.":D  I would rather be out fishing or biking than spending time online.  On the streaming - no, we do not stream every day or night.  When nothing is on Dish or FTA TV that we want to watch when we settle down at night we may go to Amazon or Netflix via the Fire stick.  Our streaming on a Fire Stick runs about 300 MB per hour at an acceptable video resolution.   Yes, what is acceptable will vary by each user.  We have done fine with the 8 GB plan - especially when we have a sizeable carry over from non-use of Verizon at our Comcast wired brick and sticks.  We do have to watch our data usage when we are out for several months at a time snowbirding in the winter months as the rollover is usually very small if at all.

Verizon is now offering an unlimited data multi-line plan that is not much higher per month than our current plan.  In the ads it looks nice as I see no data throttling down of speeds after using a base amount.  This may be worth doing unless there are unadvertised caps.  I could easily drop Dish if we could stream more from Nexflix, Amazon, major networks and possibly Sling.  If we were living in our fiver year round and depended on wireless data through Verizon for Facebook :rolleyes: and streaming in the highest format all the time we could not do it.  But, like I said, not everyone uses data in the same manner.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy?/Nancy? 

I believe the Verizon plans you referred to caps data usage via Hotspot/Tethering to 10GB, then basically slows you down to turtle speed. 

If you're streaming on the actual device, the 22GB before any impact. 

Could be wrong, and did not research it this time around:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty is correct. 10 gig on hotspots, 22 gig on device. Then on the hotspot you slow to useless speeds. You are throttled. not network managed.  On device you are network managed, which is more acceptable. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We use a Verizon 10GB plan with one month carry over on 2 Android phones and one Android tablet that is also used as a hotshot. We don't stream with it and normally carry over 2GB with a month once in awile getting into the carry over. It's the only thing we use even if CGs have WI-FI.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

• 1 month later...

We have AT&T 30gig on hotspot with rollover. We always have rollover because we never get to 30 gig,

We thought about scaling it to 20gig because of the unlimited but for the difference in price of $10mth it wasn't worth giving up. I have the security of the 30 plus my rollover and I am on my computer 9-14hrs a day because of my business. Then DH has his total of 3 or maybe 4 hours a day he is on doing email, facebook, getting his sports info, variety of research or just playing around. We just run it through one of our phones hotspots. Yes, it will interrupt your internet if the phone rings but that is when either the campground kicks in or it just interrupts. We don't stream TV or movies as we have directv. Would like to find free music and learn how to download it to my phone. We have a new indash radio in the motorhome that you can plug your phone (ours is a samsung phone) and listen to music. Sometimes sirius isn't playing what we are in the mood to listen to as we play the radio often.

BTW, we were 23 year veterans of Sprint....we were on our original plan from when smart phones came out and we had to upgrade to a smartphone plan. But the cost was about $62.00 a month for 3 smart phones, all unlimited everything. But Sprint was just not a good thing for traveling north for fulltimers. So we changed to AT&T. They gave us a 2 year 10% discount for moving, a lifetime 10% discount cause my husband is a retired police officer and a lifetime 20% discount cause he is a military vet.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

Dejae: What phones are you using that interrupt the internet when taking a call?  I thought that problem was solved a few years ago on all phones and AT&T used to tout that feature over Verizon.

I use a Verizon jetpack (AC791L) with 20GB (with no throttling) per month (the old Millenicom plan) for $100.07 per month.  I have a Verizon iPad with 1GB for $20.00 per month that I use when away from the jetpack or if I hit the 20GB limit.  

As long as there is a strong Verizon signal, I don't see much difference between the two.  I can put the Jetpack in a Sleek amplifier when the signal is weak; doesn't work well with the iPad...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

Dejae: What phones are you using that interrupt the internet when taking a call?  I thought that problem was solved a few years ago on all phones and AT&T used to tout that feature over Verizon.

I think you are correct the issue is no longer a problem with most (all?) newer phones but if you are still using one of the vintage of the iPhone 5 I think this could still be a concern. 

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived