Shower or not to shower!!!

Macodiva

47 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Everybody has a different story . It's part of what makes this campfire so appealing . 

Ain't that gospel!

I tend to agree with many. A toilet is a must. A shower... variety is the spice of life. I do prefer my own facilities, but hitting a truck stop every now and again for a long hot soak is nice. One place not mentioned yet is a motel. It's not difficult finding one of the moderately lower chains that will give you a half hour and towel service for not much more than a truck stop.

The whole time I was reading this though I couldn't help be keep thinking, "ain't you people never heard of rain!?":lol: Some of the best showers I've ever had were down in a SouthWestern thunder storm. All that fresh O-zone action going on and the deliciously warm downpour.... 

Probably not too CG or urban friendly :P, but thinking just a bit outside of the box can lend for some great experiences and allow any number of options open.

I am in the same position in that I've done a ton of research into travel trailers and vans and have decided on a Sprinter conversion. I'm going on a road trip to see 2 custom conversion shops to get quotes to build my dream van. While I was researching the cassette toilet in a TT, I visited a small manufacturer and have decided that this product is what I will use in the Sprinter. However, one of the conversion companies said that they will only place the bath in the rear of the van so the cassette can be accessed through the rear doors and there would be no need to perforate the van body to install a door. I came across this image and thought it looked interesting.

mercedes_sprinter_caravan_concept_2013_4.jpg

7 minutes ago, Yarome said:

VERY! Kind of an enclosable/ventable/mudroom/spongebath/outdoor gear storage space. Very clever!

I thought so! You could probably delete the closet on the left and increase the bathroom to the entire width of the van; 6'9". WOW...nice big shower!

4 hours ago, Rosita said:

OP, you might want to check out these resources as starters; there are many other like sources of "van living" information, some linked from the "Cheap RV Living" site.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFr5LUX8Fts

I'm seconding this recommendation^^^, especially for those where the cost of the van might be getting in the way of getting out there.  Also, a lot of things need to be taken into consideration other than convenience as when boondocking, it doesn't take long to empty a fresh water tank and fill the gray and black tanks, especially those on a van.  Also, unless one has the continuous water heater, 6 gallons (if that large) doesn't take long to empty.  It is important to realize that one doesn't take very long showers in an RV when boondocking and some people cannot tolerate the small and confining space of a wet bath.  The other issue is the moisture and added maintenance that a shower and fresh water toilet add, especially tough in damp climates.   We are on RV #9 and have lived long term in 3 different RVs.  Many people with showers in their RV use the park facilities, I watch them go by since we are nearer the shower house, nice big motorhomes and they go to the shower house.  I never figured that out since I consider the most rudimentary shower as better than hauling my stuff back and forth from the shower house.  

So much is personal preference which makes getting a lot of opinions valuable, a sort of find that match that fits your style and desires.

Cathy

I don't think a composting toilet like the one in the link above would be a good thing if you have diarrhea; like when you ate the wrong food or are preparing for a colonoscopy. Way too much moisture in the dry tank.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...
On June 10, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Blaze said:

I thought so! You could probably delete the closet on the left and increase the bathroom to the entire width of the van; 6'9". WOW...nice big shower!

Been awhile so I hope my initial post isn't stale. I visited a couple of custom conversion shops and received 1 quote for the bathroom at $25K. Yes, that's right....for only the bathroom. It would include hot water using engine fuel, cassette toilet, water...

I was hoping for a second quote but that shop wasn't receptive to that idea.

I thought if I had only the bathroom installed, I could use some of the portable camping equipment in the van. Buy a passenger van and remove the seats? At least it would be finished inside.

At this time, seems the Class B is off the table and I'm back to looking at fiberglass travel trailers again. I'd like to keep my home and SUV so buying such an expensive Class B will not be in the plans.

People and their priorities are so different, it just isn't possible for a one-size-fits-all dwelling.  Each of us relating our preferences and why will perhaps remind you of points to consider in deciding what fits you.

In my case I decided to go full time in an RV.  I quickly narrowed it down to a 5th wheel trailer as a fit for me.  Camping for a weekend - a popup tent trailer was great.  DW and I went on a 10 day motorcycle trip with pup tent and all the support stuff to camp out along the way.  After camping for a couple of nights, then we would spend a night in a motel alternating depending on how hot, dirty, smelly we were and how hard it was raining, snowing, etc.  But the original question was about FULL TIMING.  I got 2 things out of high school, jock itch and toenail fungus.  I shudder at the thought of showering at a truck stop or sponge bathing in a filling station restroom.  Most of them I wouldn't even want to sit down in.  A bathroom with a shower would be an absolute necessity for me, because I suppose, I lack confidence in other people's behavior.

And while we're on that topic. . .   I really used to hate waiting around a laundromat for my washing to finish.  But the awful part was the people who would place dirty diapers (without even emptying them or rinsing them out) in the washers at the laundromat.  And without even looking at them, just move them from the washer to the dryer and burn in the clumps that didn't wash out.  Take a flash light and look in a laundromat clothes dryer - it will look like someone scrubbed the inside with Baby Ruth candy bars.  A washer dryer was also critical for my full time happy living.  In the case of doing it with a pickup camper, they make little 1 or 2 gallon miniature manually (foot or arm) operated washing machines that are light weight, don't take up much space and will wash a couple of shirts or a pair of jeans.  Of course you will need to hang them up to dry and water / humidity is not your friend living full time in an RV.  So you will pretty much wait to do laundry until you can hang stuff outside to dry.  But that is still huge leaps ahead of a public laundromat!

Refrigeration?  I grew up with out electricity or refrigeration and survived it, but I don't care to go back 80 years to those days.  A small refrigerator with freezer would be essential for my happiness.

Personally, a little one-cup coffee maker, a toaster oven and a tiny shop-vac to clean up after would complete my essentials list.  For me, everything beyond these things would be something else to take care of, clean and maintain.  Living in a small footprint makes me happy, but it sure isn't for everyone.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

To the OP:  One thing to consider is selling your RV.  If you choose not to have a shower or holding tanks or even a toilet, your RV will be harder to sell.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We lived in an RV without any laundry for 12 years and still take extended trips without one and yet have never seen even one laundromat washer that looked like those described by Legnedsk but I suppose that we might just be lucky? We did usually choose the nicer looking ones but only a few times did we fail to find something clean and acceptable for our use. 

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

One thing to consider is selling your RV.

To me, choosing an RV based upon what we think will sell well is a big mistake, unless you are one of those who trade RVs every couple of years. We chose as well as we could for what we believed that we needed with no concern for resale value at all and the result was an RV that served us quite well for 14 years, 12 of those as our only home. Most RV's will depreciate at a rate of about 10% of current value(not purchase price) each year for as long as you own the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are two adults and a cat. We full-time in a 40' MH with no slides, but a large bathroom. Our "learner" was a Heartland mpg TT with a wet bath that was so small the door had to be open in order to adequately use it. That's what decided us on a real bathroom.

I'd suggest that the OP decide on what he intends to do before considering a particular class of RV. Every RV is a compromise, so knowing what is important to YOU will help you pick the best type for your situation. It sounds like the OP wants to boondock and be as inconspicuous as possible. The two may be somewhat opposed to each other, but somewhere out there is the right rig.

We frequently use Passport America parks, and can get at least one night at 50% of the regular price. Sometimes we can get a week at that rate. We have never paid more than $25 for a night at a PA park with the discount. Another option, if you are old enough, is the Senior Pass. That gets you a 50% discount at most COE and Forest Service campgrounds AND free or reduced admission to most Federal places. The price is going up from $10 to $80 soon, so if you are old enough to qualify be sure to get one now. Even when it goes up, though, it is still a bargain.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Instead of camping on streets or parking lots and trying to be stealthy, why not get a slightly used smaller Class C and camping legally for free or almost free in National Forests and dispersed camping at BLM land?  Have you checked out RVSue's site?  (She has a small trailer and pulls it with a van for storage.  She has a full bathroom but uses the shower for storage as she does not like to dump her tanks very often.)

One thing with a smaller Class C is that you get decent-sized waste tanks.  I only need to dump mine every 4 days, and that is with taking a nice shower and doing dishes once a day. 

Very cheap camping is available in National Forests and you would not have to worry about being interrupted or experiencing a lot of noise.  No one knocking on your door late at night or trying to steal something from your vehicle. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 0:52 PM, Blaze said:

Been awhile so I hope my initial post isn't stale. I visited a couple of custom conversion shops and received 1 quote for the bathroom at $25K. Yes, that's right....for only the bathroom. It would include hot water using engine fuel, cassette toilet, water...

I was hoping for a second quote but that shop wasn't receptive to that idea.

I thought if I had only the bathroom installed, I could use some of the portable camping equipment in the van. Buy a passenger van and remove the seats? At least it would be finished inside.

At this time, seems the Class B is off the table and I'm back to looking at fiberglass travel trailers again. I'd like to keep my home and SUV so buying such an expensive Class B will not be in the plans.

Hi Blaze, it's been awhile since i checked in too :) I had originally wanted an empty van to convert myself. However like you i'd have to get someone to do the plumbing & electric first & as you found out it is ridiculously expensive. I'm now considering a van that's already been converted so all the 'fiddly/important bits are already there, then just working around it by changing doors, cabinets ect. to a layout that works for me. I'm very adaptable & willing to give up some wants for others.

I'm a little bummed & gun shy at the moment as i almost made a huge mistake. I found an excellent van at an excellent price that on initial research checked out as legit. The old adage too good to be true was niggling away in the back of my head so i was being very careful but you know sometimes you really do just luck out. Anyway i won't bore you with the long story but after some intensive searching & a little red flag at the sellers avoidance (all be it well disguised) of a yes or no question i discovered it was indeed to good to be true :( I informed the man i would no longer be buying the rv as in my experience mileage tends to go up not down with age. I was so close & all excited. All in all a lucky escape i guess. Good luck in your search & let me know if you find something

On 6/10/2017 at 1:05 AM, gjhunter01 said:

There is no security in a Walmart parking lot, don't kid yourself. I once had an issue in a Eureka, CA. Walmart parking lot theft

So you leaped from "once had an issue" to the blanket statement that there is "no security" in a Walmart? There was no security that one time for you, one RVer, but that's a stretch to say "never". That's like an overprotective mother saying "I ate sushi once and I got sick. Don't EVER eat sushi."

Every stopping point is always going to be different in some way, and everyone's comfort level is different. Maybe those parking lot cleaners don't bother others. I am sure there are people somewhere that complain about "those damned birds that wake up and start chirping at dawn when I am trying to sleep!!!"

ON topic. please allow me to suggest that you get a 5 gallon bucket and a toilet seat and try using it for your home toilet for a week. If you are comfortable pooping into a plastic bag resting in that bucket (buy kitty litter too) then you could pull it off. My RV has a bathroom (and I have not yet started RVing - just testing) because the shower thing would get to me. Many days you could get by with a wash-up in a sink, but in converted vans, even larger vans, you can't stand up, you have no kitchen... everything is done outside. Unless you are REALLY good with wood and tools, your van will pretty much be a plywood platform bed, some plastic sliding drawers for storage, and little else. I thought about doing that as my first option, but this is going to be my house until I die. I don't want to live my years out hunched over, and it is important to remember that every day is not going to find you at a beautiful beach or waking up to a breathtaking mountain vista. You can't be on vacation every day of every month of every year. To convert a van with cabinetry, basic plumbing, basic power (with or without solar) you can buy a 24 ft Class C RV for the same money. With a shower, propane kitchen, air conditioning, a furnace, plumbing, a dining area, storage....  I paid $20k for mine, financed over 10 years. You CAN cook outside on a grill. Do you barbecue every day now? You CAN poop in a bucket. For the rest of your life? Some things to consider about the comfort zone factor. I only know what will be right for me. I will go with a Planet Fitness membership for $21 a month where I can get that LONG hot shower. That $21 will not be a budget breaker for me, though it is for some, and they are just about everywhere. I cook very basic stuff, 5 days a week it's just using a vegetable steamer in the microwave, so while my RV has a kitchen I doubt I will use the stove much. But again, that's me. You may enjoy more elaborate cooking, or not. But your question was really about shower and toilet, and you have a lot of options so far.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 7:20 PM, eddie1261 said:

Hi Eddie 1261,

Thanks for your input. Funnily enough just a few months ago i did have to use a bucket for 5 days at home! LOL. Like you say you CAN do a lot of things, it's more a case of do you want to. I'm keeping my eyes open for ready made RV/vans with what i want at the right price. I've time to wait for something that suits. Gym membership might be a good idea, i always thought it much more expensive than $21 so i'll look into that to when the time comes. I probably didn't phrase my original query right as a lot of people thought i meant not having a toilet. I was always going to have a toilet, the shower was more what i was inquiring about.

I'm about the same as you on the cooking front, baked potato is my speciality :)

On 7/19/2017 at 5:15 PM, Solo18 said:

Instead of camping on streets or parking lots and trying to be stealthy, why not get a slightly used smaller Class C and camping legally for free or almost free in National Forests and dispersed camping at BLM land?  Have you checked out RVSue's site?  (She has a small trailer and pulls it with a van for storage.  She has a full bathroom but uses the shower for storage as she does not like to dump her tanks very often.)

One thing with a smaller Class C is that you get decent-sized waste tanks.  I only need to dump mine every 4 days, and that is with taking a nice shower and doing dishes once a day. 

Very cheap camping is available in National Forests and you would not have to worry about being interrupted or experiencing a lot of noise.  No one knocking on your door late at night or trying to steal something from your vehicle. 

I am not planning on doing a lot of stealth camping & will more than likely be in appropriate places. I'd just like to have it as an option if i'm doing a long trip & needed to break for the night. I really want access to be able to jump out of bed and drive away without having to go outside in case of a dodgy situation. I'm not expecting any trouble but it would ease my mind to be able to do that if necessary, so a trailer is not for me. Thanks for the advice, i'll check out some smaller c's :)

Archived