JuryDuty

Escapees Mail Questions - Why is it worth it?

On 7/25/2017 at 2:18 PM, eddie1261 said:

That same logic will see me spend $1200 on a lithium ion battery for my solar system rather than the much cheaper flooded lead acid batteries. That lithium battery guarantees 4000 charging cycles, likely as many as 5000. That is about 11-14 years. In 11-14 years, I would replace flooded batteries 4 times, so 5 pairs of batteries at $500 per pair vs 1 at $1200. So which is "cheaper" and which is less expensive?

Flooded lead acid golf cart batteries can last a LOT longer than 3 years.  My original set lasted 8 years.  And the replacements cost $100 each, not $250. 

You only get so many laps around the sun in your life. Go see stuff. Go do things! Go eat at fun restaurants rather than cooking canned beans on your little propane camping stove. I am far from rich, but I have enough money to actually enter this adventure out of choice, not out of necessity. Living in a car, eating cheap food from cans, begging people on the internet to fund you through Patreon or affiliate link clicks..... that is called homeless. Is that even living? I will be houseless, but not homeless

Moral of the story, what works for some may not work for all. Your mileage may vary.

You give lip service to YMMV, but come off as judgmental of those whose mileage varies from yours.

Maybe people don't want to go see stuff or do things, or eat at fun restaurants.  Eating at a fun restaurant sounds just awful to me.  So maybe some people just don't want to do it--it's not that they can't.

On 7/25/2017 at 6:37 PM, JuryDuty said:

Boy this thread has suddenly gotten more life nearly two months after I first posted!

Now that is a fact! Please, let's try and respond to the subject of the thread? 

I'm as much against thread drift as the next person.  The reason I mentioned batteries was to correct a mistaken assumption:  "In 11-14 years, I would replace flooded batteries 4 times, so 5 pairs of batteries at $500 per pair."   I didn't feel good thinking that someone who doesn't know much about batteries might believe it.

There's really no need these days to have a mail service deposit checks for anyone if your financial institution has a phone app. 

I routinely have my mail service scan checks and email them to me. I then print the scanned checks, endorse them and use my phone to make the deposit. I've dealt with several businesses in the past year that accept payment by scanned check in a similar manner. 

FWIW I use MyDakotaAddreess which emails me the return address info for every piece of mail I receive. Specific items are opened, scanned and emailed with no additional charge. As for privacy concerns, I've used the service for 6 years with no issues. IMHO you need to be able to trust someone or this world becomes a dreadful place to live in. JMO