GPS When is it time to replace?

I have found that with any new construction that the GPS won't have it yet,so, as always, you gots to keep your eyes open.  Many times Betty (the name of our GPS) has said" recalulating" on a new road.  After a while, she will stop. 

I spent three hours last night with Basecamp and found it to be overcomplicated.  There are better ways.

Like John said, often wonder how I ever got along without her. 

2005 Jayco Greyhawk 30 ft
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Blog: www.RVtravelsofPauline.blogspot.com

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Rand McNally RVND 7730 LM like it very much. Actually I also use the older Garmin for some locations I have predetermined like I may need ,a rest stop or eat.

The Rand is really great for the long haul but doesn't work well for finding my wife's shopping as I seldom use the WiFi.

The Rand updates through your computer and downloaded dock, the negative is I have never been able to do an update using my 4G hot spot. Rand Tech Support told  me that Hotspot were not great for upgrades, 

A couple months later I away from the wireless internet everything updated fine.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We have 2 gps units and just a couple of days ago we were looking for a hotel ina town in Mississippi. Neither gps could find it. My smart phone took us right to it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:04 PM, ChuckD said:

Many times Betty (the name of our GPS) has said" recalulating" on a new road.

I have a name for our GPS. It also starts with a "B". :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Jimalberta said:

We have 2 gps units and just a couple of days ago we were looking for a hotel ina town in Mississippi. Neither gps could find it. My smart phone took us right to it.

GPS units have to rely on what is loaded in their on-board databases. Smart phones have the whole internet to draw on and thus will find things that your GPS can't. Overall though I find a GPS (especially one catering to RVs) to be better in the long run. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We use Garmin with the 4 times a year updates. The GPs is not perfect and at times can not keep up with the construction changes. IMO over the years they have been 99% accurate. We did the upd ates on two units yesterday. It took 1 hour on our WIFI connection.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I also have the Garmin 760RV LMT. I love it, my wife hates it and never use it and prefers paper maps. That might be the source of some of the negative reviews youve seen. I love the display of actual speed and speed limit and use that more than my speedometer. I have it set up to tell me time and distance to destination which I also find very useful. Mine is 4 year old and i wouldnt change it for the world.

We replaced our Garmin 550C for our Equinox because the touchscreen was getting flaky on the right side.  Hard to enter addresses.  The new DriveSmart 61-S is a real winner.  Almost 7" screen and we like taking to the Garmin to set routes.

Wouldn't use it for the RV as it doesn't have height settings.  We use ALK CoPilot on Android tablets for the motorhome.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I have an Garmin 50LM which I have had for about 3 years.  When traveling I often do searches for Walmart Supercenters, Truck Stops, or similar.  The Garmin does a pretty poor job.  I think the database is just limited.  The searches are slow and also cumbersome.

Are any of the GPS navigations systems better at this sort of searches?

• 2 months later...

I didn't know wherether to add to this topic or start a new one, but the info started in this one so here goes.  I did not get a new GPS yet.  Still looking.  I just found out that Rand Mcnally has just come out with three new GPS rangeing from a base model to  a tablet with everthing and the prices, as far as I can see. are better.  The info I got on them was here http://www.technorv.com/Rand_McNally_RV_GPS_s/189.htm.  I don't know how to make the word "here" to address.  Whatever, this site has the info on all three, and I have done business with them and they are good folks..  I am looking into these GPS also.  Anyhone have good words (or perhaps bad) to say about Rand McNally?

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Chuck,

I had an earlier model of the Rand McNally and really liked it, but then it crashed after a mere two years of ownership. Tried CoPilot on a tablet, but didn't really like it. Bought the Garmin RV model but don't like it as much as I did the Rand. Offered to trade it to anyone who had a Rand that was still working and updated, but got only one person interested but that interest seemed to go away. I mostly use the Google maps on my tablet or phone. No I don't have all the RV stuff, but it gets me there. I do keep the Garmin running and hopefully if I head in a direction of a potential RV Hazard it will at least give me the warnings it does for the "Sharp Curve Ahead" or whatever. Thanks for the link to the site. The prices are much better than when I got the Rand. Especially with the built in camera.

Rod

btb Go Granny Go is still going.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

10 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Anyhone have good words (or perhaps bad) to say about Rand McNally?

I am probably not a good choice for information on the Rand_McNally systems because of past experience. I was one of the Escapee members chosen to beta test the Rand RV prototype GPS and like several other known names in the SKP organization, the experience with the Rand engineering group was so bad that I will never trust a product from them. It was an experience that just reinforced my poor opinion of engineers. I have read the reviews but past experience is difficult to erase from memory. I am a satisfied user of Garmin in the RV and Magellan for hiking so will stay with what I trust. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 5/30/2017 at 9:18 PM, ChuckD said:

My Garmin GPS is probably around ten years old. But really, just how long are they supposed to last?   When can I buy a new toy (oops)?  Wasn't supposed to say that.

OK, someone please talk me into it.  LOL  Or out of it :(

Was in the same predicament, my GPS was getting older and obsolete, and... in terms of how to justify a new toy, I am very often in this situation...  :rolleyes: Now, talking about new toy, I realized recently that my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7  https://goo.gl/YG6Q4J  has a GPS, no need for Wi-Fi or Internet. Before getting on the road, connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot, download on your tablet google maps for the area you plan to go. Then, on the road with google maps, you get directions (again without Wi-Fi, or internet connection). So, for a new toy, how about a tablet with GPS , you get the GPS with a bigger screen and all other features and apps of a tablet (before buying this, make sure you can use the GPS without Internet connectivity)  ;)

1 hour ago, voyaginator said:

no need for Wi-Fi or Internet. Before getting on the road, connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot, download on your tablet google maps for the area you plan to go. 

Just to throw a tiny bit of shade here, it DOES require internet, just not while driving. Step one is to download the maps. If he is sitting somewhere with no signal and wants to go to another spot, he can't download his maps.

I love my Garmin Nuvi 2589. Like many people I said "Why do I need a GPS? My phone has Waze loaded on it. That was just before the "duh" moment when I realized I was using data to use it. Now, I DO have unlimited data, but do I want to reach my 22gb deprioritizing threshold using GPS? So I found this refurbed Garmin for like $85 on Amazon. 

But as always, that's just what I prefer. On topic, the time for a new GPS is when you think you need one!

I have all kinds of GPS devices through multiple vehicles. Kenwood systems with integrated Garmin (multiple generations), stand alone Garmin GPS including Garmin interfaces that integrate with auto systems and even with all of these I still find that the best solution is the Garmin USA App that works on iPhone and iPad. this does not require an internet connection and the database is downloaded into the device, it will handle traffic as well as cameras and fuel prices (requires internet). This seems to be my "GoTo" and can be programmed offline, routes planned, etc..... With the right interface this can be mirrored on various in-dash receivers and will display on the in-dash display. The App is $49 and included lifetime updates. This has been working on at least 3 generations of iPhone/iPads and seems to be the best of all worlds as it allows me to choose my display size and processor speed :D

Paul
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta (400W Solar and Magna 2812 Inverter)
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 3500 (Air Bags & 104 GA Diesel)

9 hours ago, paul65k said:

... I still find that the best solution is the Garmin USA App that works on iPhone and iPad. this does not require an internet connection and the database is downloaded into the device, it will handle traffic as well as cameras and fuel prices (requires internet). This seems to be my "GoTo" and can be programmed offline, routes planned, etc..... 

You captured my interest. For the benefit of others, when I went to the App Store and searched, I did not find Garmin USA, but going to Garmin.com>Products>Apps and scrolling almost to the bottom, I found Garmin StreetPilot® Onboard. Clicking on that brought up Garmin U.S.A. as a choice. On your recommendation, and my general satisfaction with Garmin products, I am going to give it a try on the iPad we plan to use in the RV. I am confident I will get $50 worth of utility out of it.

Me, a stranger? Nah, just a friend you haven't met.

15 minutes ago, kudzu said:

You captured my interest. For the benefit of others, when I went to the App Store and searched, I did not find Garmin USA, but going to Garmin.com>Products>Apps and scrolling almost to the bottom, I found Garmin StreetPilot® Onboard. Clicking on that brought up Garmin U.S.A. as a choice. On your recommendation, and my general satisfaction with Garmin products, I am going to give it a try on the iPad we plan to use in the RV. I am confident I will get $50 worth of utility out of it.

I hope you are as pleased with it as we are!

Paul
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta (400W Solar and Magna 2812 Inverter)
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 3500 (Air Bags & 104 GA Diesel)

Must be an Apple only App.  I am a long term user of ALK CoPilot since 20023.  Moved to Android last year.  

Prefer CoPilot because it is height knowledgeable and creates routes where I don't have to worry about overpasses.  ALK gets its road database from the trucking industry.

From a simple viewpoint you can get a tablet, CoPilot RV version for $50 and still be less that a Garmin Truck/RV version GPS unit. A benefit of the android licensing it that I run CoPilot on two tablets for the driver and co-pilot and on another device for planning. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We have the Garmin 760RV LMT and have had it for a few years. It really depends where you are. Recently it has made some poor decisions. It had us drive 20+ miles out of the way and brought us on a much tighter road. We actually had to stop when a vehicle came the other way. I've started to use Good Sam's trip planner to confirm and it seems to be better at keeping us off tight roads but it still has to be watched.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

The "poor decisions" is another reason I am thinking of leaving garmin.  Not many but it don't take many in this circurmunstanes .  One can ruin a day.  And I keep up with the updates.  Still looking good at the Ran McNalleys.

Thanks for all the replies.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

I only buy a GPS with lifetime maps in the deal. I replace a GPS when it dies or it's storage(+card) is insufficient to download the latest map. I have 2 Garmins now that don't work, one with broken screen, the other with locked up innards. My SIL is switching the screen from the locked up to the broken screen GPS w/lifetime maps now. (instructions on internet)

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 9/6/2017 at 11:29 PM, paul65k said:

this does not require an internet connection and the database is downloaded into the device, it will handle traffic as well as cameras and fuel prices (requires internet). This seems to be my "GoTo" and can be programmed offline, routes planned, etc..... With the right interface this can be mirrored on various in-dash receivers and will display on the in-dash display. The App is $49 and included lifetime updates. This has been working on at least 3 generations of iPhone/iPads and seems to be the best of all worlds as it allows me to choose my display size and processor speed :D

Your post said it doesn't require internet and it does require internet in the same sentence. Can you expand on that?

Only my preference, but I don't want to use data for GPS. Ever. As far as gas prices, I drive until I need gas and then I stop. I remember a time like it was yesterday when a friend of mine drove 38 miles each way because gas was 4 cents per gallon cheaper at the one particular station. 76 miles round trip, and she saved 60 cents on her fill up. Just the hour of her day that she wasted had to be worth more than 60 cents....

But to each their own. A lot depends on your driving habits too. I have not yet started full time RV life but I don't plan to ever move more than 50-60 miles per move every other day or so. But I also have no family to visit, no grandkids to see, no concerns with holidays, etc... so my life is different in that I have no time deadlines and no fixed destinations. I am superbly confident that I can find the next good sight seeing destination within 60 miles no matter where I am. And again, that's just me. I have always been a free spirited "This looks kinda cool" kind of person, with a very strange perception of what is "kinda cool".

So on topic, I prefer a dedicated GPS that hits the satellites without using cellular data.

1 hour ago, eddie1261 said:

Your post said it doesn't require internet and it does require internet in the same sentence. Can you expand on that?

Only my preference, but I don't want to use data for GPS. Ever. As far as gas prices, I drive until I need gas and then I stop. I remember a time like it was yesterday when a friend of mine drove 38 miles each way because gas was 4 cents per gallon cheaper at the one particular station. 76 miles round trip, and she saved 60 cents on her fill up. Just the hour of her day that she wasted had to be worth more than 60 cents....

But to each their own. A lot depends on your driving habits too. I have not yet started full time RV life but I don't plan to ever move more than 50-60 miles per move every other day or so. But I also have no family to visit, no grandkids to see, no concerns with holidays, etc... so my life is different in that I have no time deadlines and no fixed destinations. I am superbly confident that I can find the next good sight seeing destination within 60 miles no matter where I am. And again, that's just me. I have always been a free spirited "This looks kinda cool" kind of person, with a very strange perception of what is "kinda cool".

So on topic, I prefer a dedicated GPS that hits the satellites without using cellular data.

The maps are pre loaded during the installation, so the internet is not required to navigate.  The traffic & gas prices are more variable than the maps, so they are updated in real time over the internet.  If you don't have an internet connection (or shut off  access to the internet for the application) the maps & routing still work, but you won't get traffic or gas prices.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Archived