GPS When is it time to replace?

My Garmin GPS is probably around ten years old and most of the time she works fine.  I get all the updates as they come up and have installed the mini disk so it can hold all the information which seems to be increasing.  She is smaller than some of the newer ones but readable.  No fancy voice direction all the time, but sometimes she talks to me.  Every once in awhile she won't accept a direction but later it will come back and do what is asked.  

Now this maybe appears as if I am looking for an excuse to buy a new one.  One of the big ones with the voice direction and touch screens.  Guess what?  I probably am.  But really, just how long are they supposed to last?   When can I buy a new toy (oops)?  Wasn't supposed to say that.

OK, someone please talk me into it.  LOL  Or out of it :(

2005 Jayco Greyhawk 30 ft
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Blog: www.RVtravelsofPauline.blogspot.com

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As cheap as they are to buy now, I would go ahead and get a new one. We have the Garmin 770 Dezl but the RV version should work about the same. I still use the Garmin as a backup when needed but the new truck came with Co-Pilot Professional installed and so far, it is working out pretty well.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I had the same problem - after a big update the GPS became very slow - searches took forever and sometimes failed.

So I bought a new one with bigger screen and lots of new features. It has been great - very fast and that nice big screen.

Useful new features include voice command, and some nice 'look ahead' features like approaching school zones (speed limit reminder), gas stations and rest areas.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

Here is what I did when I had the urge to upgrade. I bought a new Samsung 8 inch tablet and installed Co Pilot RV on it. This got me at least two toys for the price of one. I got a windshield mount for the tablet and then use it for my GPS and all kinds of other things. Nice that I can just take it inside for route planning etc.  I still have my Garmin around which I use at times as backup or second opinion but quite paaesed with CoPilot..

Dave and Lana Hasper

1 hour ago, Daveh said:

Here is what I did when I had the urge to upgrade. I bought a new Samsung 8 inch tablet and installed Co Pilot RV on it. This got me at least two toys for the price of one. I got a windshield mount for the tablet and then use it for my GPS and all kinds of other things. Nice that I can just take it inside for route planning etc.  I still have my Garmin around which I use at times as backup or second opinion but quite paaesed with CoPilot..

I have had the regular CoPilot and it has worked great. I have it on several tablets and on the phone. Chuck, I would get the basic CoPilot and having it on a big 10 in tablet will make it much easier to read. The voice messages will be helpful giving you warning up to 2 miles before a turn. The great thing about CoPilot (beside the price) is you can download the maps on WIFI so you don't use data. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I still miss my Rand McNally, and it definitely tells you when it's time to replace. It lasted only a bit over 3 years, so I haven't bought another one.I instead did the tablet, Co-Pilot first and now the Garmin RV, neither do I like as well as I did the Rand. If I were on the road all the time I would try another one, but I'm not. I mostly use Google Maps,  but they don't have a "Truck" feature to keep you out of places you shouldn't be. The Google maps work on the tablet as long as I keep my phone internet hot spot connected. Has better "traffic" info than the Garmin with Telenav. So ChuckD, buy a Rand McNally and see how long it lasts for you, It may tell you when you can buy another.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

17 hours ago, ChuckD said:

My Garmin GPS is probably around ten years old and most of the time she works fine.

I don't think that I ever kept one quite that long, but have owned several of them. We were using a Garmin 1390LMT that is about 7 years old seems to have become a bit temperature sensitive as it will occasionally stop sensing proper speed on the display and so have to be cycled off/on to get things displaying properly. It still works but that left us considering an upgrade and the new RV models looked attractive. We just got the new Garmin RV 660LMT and since the old one works, we now keep it in the local use SUV and the RV660 is in out tow vehicle so we do compare them. 

The RV models do add the RV related features like size restrictions and RV parks so that is a nice improvement as well. The newer Garmin models also allow you to run their program "Base Camp" on your computer to plan routes on it and then download the planned route to the GPS. That is a feature that I am still learning to use, but I highly recommend it as I far prefer to examine a route for a planned trip before we leave as no current GPS is 100% error proof and you still need to make sure that there are no bad choices on a planned route. We have only made one long trip with the new 660 so far, but up to this point I really consider it to have been a major improvement. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Even if you don't purchase one of the RV specific GPSs, you will find a new one far more pleasant to use.  I replaced my 1390 with a Nuvi 3580 (which is still a bit long in the tooth) and was pleasantly surprised that "Recalculating" went away.  The processor is fast enough that it does it in almost real time.  It did take me a bit to adjust to the new menus - it seems that with every new Garmin, they completely change them!

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

We have the Garmin RV760LMT (the LMT meaning lifetime traffic and maps). With the parameters for our rig entered, it does a good job of steering us around places we can't/shouldn't go (I "trust and verify" using the Mountain Directory in certain parts of the country, though). Voice commands will find me things like truck stops or rest areas along the route, etc. - very handy! 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks for all the info.  I have looked at all the recommended GPS on Amazon where they show the reviews.  Now that is strange.  It seems that half the people who buy them think they are the best thing since sliced bread and the other half say they are junk and don't waste your money.  Now this is on all of them. So you don't really know.  Guess some folks would complain if they were getting hung with a new rope.

This is why I asked here.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

I have to ask you to not make the purchase from Amazon. Find a nice truck stop or another place to purchase. If everyone continues to use Amazon, then there will be nothing else, no competition and what will we do then???

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Have you gotten enough of an excuse to buy one yet, Chuck??  LOL!!

Mine is getting pretty old, too, but I haven't sprung for a new one yet either. I figure it's probably time, though, since there are an awful lot of roads we travel that it doesn't know are there. "Please drive to highlighted route." Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I've thought about updating the software but am convinced that the hardware will take it's dirt nap within the first 100 miles of the update and I might as well have just bought a new one anyway.

I'm hoping the new ones have a few more features on them than the old basic Garmin that I have. Routing me around major cities, letting me plan out trips ahead of time, those kinds of thing would be a step up from what I have.

46 minutes ago, BrianT said:

I'm hoping the new ones have a few more features on them than the old basic Garmin that I have. Routing me around major cities, letting me plan out trips ahead of time, those kinds of thing would be a step up from what I have.

With the new Garmin products, you can also download Garmin Basecamp to your computer and use it to create new routes to where you want to go, then download the route to your new Garmin. I just got mine so have only fooled with Basecamp and haven't given it much of a test yet. 

9 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

With the new Garmin products, you can also download Garmin Basecamp to your computer and use it to create new routes to where you want to go, then download the route to your new Garmin. I just got mine so have only fooled with Basecamp and haven't given it much of a test yet. 

Cool! I gotta check that out. :)

I have looked at Basecamp.  In fact several times and it always has me scratching my head and reaching for a map.  I have several different route planners.  In fact Escapes has one too.  But as always with any planner is complete, out comes the good old paper map, just to make sure and several times I wondered "What were they thinking?"   Does anyone know of a tutorial that teaches Basecamp?

Brian, I keep my Garmin updated with every map update that comes out and even then I find roads they have not.  If you send the new road into Garmin, they will include the road in their routes, in about five years,  If I plan to come over the road again, I make a note of it.   Also I have not gotten a new GPS yet.  With reviews almost evenly split with "It is great" to "don't buy, it is Junk" I am not sure I want too. 

Some of you mentioned Co-Pilot.  I also have it but many times I am where there is no wifi or even phone signal so I can't depend on that.  The GPS does have the maps installed.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

3 hours ago, ChuckD said:

I have looked at Basecamp.  In fact several times and it always has me scratching my head and reaching for a map.  I have several different route planners.  In fact Escapes has one too.  But as always with any planner is complete, out comes the good old paper map, just to make sure and several times I wondered "What were they thinking?"   Does anyone know of a tutorial that teaches Basecamp?

Brian, I keep my Garmin updated with every map update that comes out and even then I find roads they have not.  If you send the new road into Garmin, they will include the road in their routes, in about five years,  If I plan to come over the road again, I make a note of it.   Also I have not gotten a new GPS yet.  With reviews almost evenly split with "It is great" to "don't buy, it is Junk" I am not sure I want too. 

Some of you mentioned Co-Pilot.  I also have it but many times I am where there is no wifi or even phone signal so I can't depend on that.  The GPS does have the maps installed.

Chuck thanks for pointing me to this thread. Sounds like were both alike. My GPS is pushing 10 years old also. And I loved it for routing me around issues. And it would update its self when a new road was opened. But the last 2 years. I keep thinking about tossing it at a concrete wall. At around 65 MPH to see if it will recalculate then. LOL Was trying to use it 2 weeks ago in IL. And it took 15 minutes for it to get set up. Thought its like me older then dirt and slower then mud.

I still go over my route with old school. Atlas and not leaving home without it. Being I ran OTR for years, and had to plan all routes by Atlas and pen. But man I could have gotten way more rest trying to find a lot of places with the GPS back then.

Again Thanks for leading me to this thread.

Pete

event.png

6 hours ago, ChuckD said:

I have looked at Basecamp.  In fact several times and it always has me scratching my head and reaching for a map.

I suggest that a good place to start is with the series of tutorial videos that are on the Garmin website. I haven't yet finished them all, but am still learning. 

The absolute best thing I like about Garmin products is the tech support. Each time I call I get a REAL AND ENGLISH SPEAKING (NOT Habib in Pakistan) TECHNICIAN, I think the last time she said she was in Kansas.  My daughter had another "brand" of GPS and liked to never get through to support and when she did she couldn't understand the person. Regardless, I still love my good supply of old fashion real maps for the times a GPS puts you in a loop from which there's no escape lol 

John T

30 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

The absolute best thing I like about Garmin products is the tech support. Each time I call I get a REAL AND ENGLISH SPEAKING (NOT Habib in Pakistan) TECHNICIAN, I think the last time she said she was in Kansas.  My daughter had another "brand" of GPS and liked to never get through to support and when she did she couldn't understand the person. Regardless, I still love my good supply of old fashion real maps for the times a GPS puts you in a loop from which there's no escape lol 

John T

Mine when I called in. I still think it was a 3 year old in Tibet. That or someone that was drugged out of there head. I hung up and returned the unit.

Pete

event.png

The problem  comes when you're smack in the middle of 6 lanes of traffic, roads ahead are merging in some fashion you can't exactly figure out since you've never been there, and the GPS decides it's time for a nap. I wish I could say I've never had that happen. Fortunately, the road I needed to be on was a continuation of the lane I was in. If it hadn't been, it might have been a much more exciting story.

That GPS went bye-bye shortly thereafter...

Even with the newest & best GPS made you can have difficulties, especially if you are in a highway construction area and particularly if that construction is in a major interchange in the heart of a city. I-30/I-35 in Dallas is a real mess at present with all of the changes. In such cases, you need to follow the signs even when they disagree with the GPS. I was quite recently reminded of that rather forcefully! 

I can give another example where a GPS can be confusing. If you're travelling south through Nashville and wanting to stay on I 65, the SIGNS direst you one way while my Garmin is telling me to take a different route lol. Like Kirk I FOLLOW THE SIGNS !!!! GPS have their limitations but still, I wouldn't give mine up.

John T 

Archived