Sign in to follow this  
Kirk W

Anyone travel with wood tools?

When we were fulltime I always had my scroll saw and an assortment of both power and hand wood tools. I made small projects for gifts, particularly for our grandsons. We also spent a lot of time as resident volunteers for wildlife refuges where I often spent time in the wood shop or building small buildings, observation decks, and similar projects. 

To carve miniature decoys and song birds, I carry a few wood carving knives, replacement blades, chisels, a sharpening stone and a wood burning tool. They all fit in a very small plastic tool box. Although not just for wood carving, I also have a dremmel tool and a flexible shaft for an electric drill that can be used for some wood carving tasks. The primary use for the electric drill itself is to raise and lower the jack stands and tension the weight distribution bars on the trailer hitch.

Edited by trailertraveler

Yep, when we full-timed I carried a scroll saw and table top band saw. Now that we part-time I only carry my wood-carving tools. A small box keeps them all in tip top shape. I cut out all my projects on the band saw before I leave home and them carve away. Also carry the Dremel.

I pack what I can get away with going thru the border.  US Customs does not like us coming thru with tools.  Basically my Veto Service bag, skillsaw, various prybars, drill and impact, 2 line laser, Multitool.  My 3 Stabilla levels, Kneepro kneepads, ear defenders, various gloves.

All that is needed to work on cleaning up messes on volunteer jobs.

We carry a large tool box , power saws , clamps , hammers , compressor , nail guns , lots more . We many times find work for relatives or friends of relatives , some times for pay but mostly just to have something to do .  We once repaired a bath house for free rent , once we built a ramp for a wheel chair bound elder . You gotta carry tools !!

I brought some wood-craft projects with me from time to time. But I also found it very inconvenient to do anything with it. First, space is at a premium. Where do you set your project up at? Picnic table? Where do you put your outside food items and outside eating then? Folding table?
Also humidity and temperatures.

5 hours ago, jean_rockyroad said:

Where do you set your project up at?

Under the awning, but I only do small projects when on the road for many reasons. I have built and installed cabinets or shelves in our RV, made a few wooden toys for kids, and things of that sort. I don't build furniture or anything of that sort. Since we do a lot of volunteer for RV site positions, I often have access to a woodshop. With only two of us, it is very easy for us to eat at the picnic table while my scroll saw is clamped to the other end of it.

I carry router, saber saw, skill saw, and a few other wood working tools.  Mine are mainly for step building and/or decking purposes.  I have knocked out a couple small decks/steps for other campers to use on their fivers.