Dish service when going fulltime...

Mark,

Guess I'll call Dish and try to tell them what I am going to do, and see what they say...Can anyone tell me if I can use my 211z receiver and the Carryout without any other devices, in home or not?

24 minutes ago, jblo said:

Mark,

Guess I'll call Dish and try to tell them what I am going to do, and see what they say...Can anyone tell me if I can use my 211z receiver and the Carryout without any other devices, in home or not?

Yes the VIP211Z and the Carryout do not require anything else.

But talking to Dish CSRs about use in RVs is not on their support scripts.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

10 hours ago, jblo said:

Thank you. I'll let you know what professional cooperation I get from them.........

When we moved from a standard account to a rv pay as you go account with a 211K reciever and a Tailgater we just cancelled our old account and started clean with a new account and paperless billing. Now our billing address is wherever our service address is and it makes no difference on my credit card that they bill to because its address is listed separately. When you call in the more things you tell them to do like don't charge your billing just the servce address the more confused they get so just keep it simple and it makes life simpler. Half the time when I call in I'm not even in the same area just the spot beam so I can get the locals I want..

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

10 hours ago, jblo said:

Talked to them today, seems to be working out...just have to send in the old hopper/joeys and start over.

Thanks.

Sounds like you are on the right track, if your carryout ever goes bad consider getting a Pathway X2 so you will have access the eastern arc satellites and a bigger antenna surface for a stronger signal.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2017 at 2:35 PM, SWharton said:

There is no requirement to have a house unit. All Dish cares about is an address that is "home" for billing purposes. If you want you can change your service address(I think you still can)  as you cross the country so you can get the local stations. Some people do that, we don't. If we want locals we go OTA.

I have Directv so it may be slightly different for Dish. But close enough.  With Directv we sign up for what is referred to as the "national" stations. This means the East or West coast, dependent on your zip code. By getting the national stations we don't need to change anything on our recording schedule once we are set up for rving. We are lazy. I assume Dish has a similar option.

I couldn't get a straight answer from either Dish or DirecTV, as their customer service people are just reading scripts and don\t really even listen. Maybe your experience can address this question better than the "script readers" could.

When you speak of the quoted "national stations", that brings up a question. From my house here in Ohio. I see the Browns game on either Fox or CBS, like the rest of the country sees NFL games on Fox or CBS.  If my card inside my receiver is coded to show that I line in Ohio, will I get the Fox and CBS feeds that are aimed at my zip code or where I happen to be parked at the moment? If I am in New Mexico, will I see the Fox and CBS feed that is routed to New Mexico or the Fox and CBS feed that is routed to the zip code programmed into my card?

Not ONE person at either Dish or DirecTV could answer that question, and I talked to 6 at each place. They kept saying "You can't get yoru local channels", but Fox and CBS are network. The snag may be that though the NFL is aired on Fox and CBS, they route the games to local areas of interest, so in Cleveland we don't have to watch those awful Steelers games. As long as I can find the correct azimuth to aim a dish and get signal, I'm a happy camper (See what I did  there? Camper?) IF I get the local feed that is sent to my zip code.  If I can't see the Browns games in my RV, then I have to find the closest Browns Backers club, see where they meet, find out if they have a patio so my dog can come with me.

Any idea how that works from your experience?

With Directv the "national" stations come either from LA or NYC. You do not receive local stations. Even if you kept your address in Ohio you would lose your local stations once out of the arc for local stations. If it is that critical to receive the games you may need to subscibe to an additional package on Directv(I don't know about Dish).

If you don't subscribe to the National stations I believe you will lose all access to any local stations unless you change your service address to where you are parked(many people do this).

We don't bother changing to get the local stations since we can always get them OTA if we want them. We have recently bought the  Tivo Roamio to record local stations or additional tv programs from OTA stations if our satellite is blocked by trees.

7 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

I couldn't get a straight answer from either Dish or DirecTV, as their customer service people are just reading scripts and don\t really even listen. Maybe your experience can address this question better than the "script readers" could.

When you speak of the quoted "national stations", that brings up a question. From my house here in Ohio. I see the Browns game on either Fox or CBS, like the rest of the country sees NFL games on Fox or CBS.  If my card inside my receiver is coded to show that I line in Ohio, will I get the Fox and CBS feeds that are aimed at my zip code or where I happen to be parked at the moment? If I am in New Mexico, will I see the Fox and CBS feed that is routed to New Mexico or the Fox and CBS feed that is routed to the zip code programmed into my card?

Not ONE person at either Dish or DirecTV could answer that question, and I talked to 6 at each place. They kept saying "You can't get yoru local channels", but Fox and CBS are network. The snag may be that though the NFL is aired on Fox and CBS, they route the games to local areas of interest, so in Cleveland we don't have to watch those awful Steelers games. As long as I can find the correct azimuth to aim a dish and get signal, I'm a happy camper (See what I did  there? Camper?) IF I get the local feed that is sent to my zip code.  If I can't see the Browns games in my RV, then I have to find the closest Browns Backers club, see where they meet, find out if they have a patio so my dog can come with me.

Any idea how that works from your experience?

I have no experience with Direct TV, so I can't speak for them.  This information is for Dish Network.  Dish Network broadcasts local feeds of channels on Spot Beams. These local feeds include local network channels. For example, I live north of San Francisco (several counties north) but I am still in the spot beam for the San Francisco channels.  The spot beams have a set footprint.  Once you leave the footprint of a particular spot beam, you will no longer be able to receive the local channels for that area.  In order to receive local channels, including the networks,  you will have to notify Dish Network to change your "service address" so that you will be able to receive the local channels for your new area.  Many people do this through a chat session with Dish Network on line.  Others do it by calling Dish Network.  Each set of local broadcasts will have rules on what they can and can't broadcast related to sporting events.  Once you leave the area that can broadcast Browns games, you won't be getting those games on your local channels anymore.  For example, if you come to Northern California you will get the 49ers games or Raiders games (if they stay put).  Hopefully this makes sense to you.  I'm sure someone else will be able to explain it a little better.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

That was kind of what I thought. In theory, though the games come to me on a network, Fox or CBS, they are still "local to Cleveland" broadcasts so in essence, for that 3 1/2 hours, Fox and CBS become "local channels". You explained very well. When I DO finally hit the road it looks like I have to buy the NFL package (for what, $200 is it?)if I want to see the games in my RV. Over the course of the season, that may still work out to less than I would spend in 16 bars eating and drinking. A 3 1/2 hour stretch in a bar can quickly become a $50 tab, even for someone doesn't drink alcohol.

Thanks for your input!

On 5/21/2017 at 9:55 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

As I recall some years back, the Dish computer system would balk if they tried to input the same address for more than one account. That's no longer the case though, and I no longer give them a site number either.

Glad I looked at this thread, I've been giving them a site number with a letter added just in case I don't update my service address before someone else moved into the same site and called to update their service address.

BTW, I'm writing this as I watch the updated program guide download to my receiver following today's move.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Both CBS and Fox broadcast football games one of which is referred to as "game of the day" which is broadcast pretty much across the nation.  The other game is usually a local interest game.  So when you are out of your local channel games you may not get to see the team you wish to see. 

We have Dish and switch our local channels as we travel.  We DON'T change our locals every time we move.  Only when our RV moves out of the local channel spot beam. 

Out west, the local channel spot beams are huge.  Portland, OR's spot beam extends N & S from Victoria Island in Canada to about 90 miles into northern California.  Also to the far SE corner of OR and up to close to Spokane, WA.  Denver covers most of Colorado. 

We do a chat session with Dish, give them an address, usually an RV park in the main city for the spot beam and then 10-30 minutes later we have the new local channels. Some times we have to start another chat session with tech support to get a "reset" to force a download of the new channels. 

Here is a link to Spot Beam info showing the coverage. Click on the state, then the city, then on one of the "spotbeams" in the 4th from the right column.

On our trip to Alaska last year we had coverage into parts of Canada from Fairbanks and Juneau spot beams.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

18 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Glad I looked at this thread, I've been giving them a site number with a letter added just in case I don't update my service address before someone else moved into the same site and called to update their service address.

I do the exact same thing for the very reason you mention.  It's no extra trouble to give the CSR a site number (with a letter added) than to not do so, and may eliminate problems down the line.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

3 hours ago, LindaH said:

I do the exact same thing for the very reason you mention.  It's no extra trouble to give the CSR a site number (with a letter added) than to not do so, and may eliminate problems down the line.

HA - I may have gotten the idea from you in the first place....I'm pretty sure I saw it on this forum a few years ago.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2017 at 7:41 PM, Big5er said:

I have never bothered to give a site number. I simply give them the main address of the RV park and I have never had an issue. You have already told them you are in an RV so why lie and make up info? Do you really think they have a "one dish per RV park" rule? 

I may have "Cracked the Code" on this completely by accident on a recent trip. It seems that the Dish system only needs a Zip Code and no longer a street address, even though the agent you speak/chat with may not know this. On a recent move I was really in the boonies and only had a zip code from a local town......with the zip code alone they were able to change the location and I got the local stations. I subsequently moved a few more times and they changed with only reference to Zip Code :D

We have a Hopper2 and a wireless Joey in the coach and once we get the locals working the "Prime Time Anytime" function on the DVR kicks in as well!!

Paul
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta (400W Solar and Magna 2812 Inverter)
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 3500 (Air Bags & 104 GA Diesel)

New service just announced by DISH

Just announced at CEDIA in San Diego...Dish Anywhere

Here is the press release

Never again will your client be limited to local news in a distant market or a hotel movie library. With DISH Anywhere® customers get live sports, breaking news and their entire DVR collection plus On Demand titles. And Dish Anywhere® is now available on the Amazon Fire TV Stick – your clients simply insert a small device into their in-room display, connect to hotel Internet and launch the DISH Anywhere app. Within seconds they are transported back to their sofa at home, with access to the TV content they really want, complete with a guide they know and all the local live channels they view at home. This solution is a game changer for vacationing families, college students, business travelers or for the ‘required’ Sunday afternoon visits to the in-laws. For more information, click here; or to meet with DISH at CEDIA, click here.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

On 5/21/2017 at 10:41 PM, Big5er said:

I have never bothered to give a site number. I simply give them the main address of the RV park and I have never had an issue. You have already told them you are in an RV so why lie and make up info? Do you really think they have a "one dish per RV park" rule? 

Actually way back, there was a problem with two subscribers at the same address and there was no provision for site numbers.  But Dish quickly changed the database.  But some stories last forever.  

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

3 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

New service just announced by DISH

Just announced at CEDIA in San Diego...Dish Anywhere

We've had a FireTVstick with the DishAnywhere app installed for a month or so now, and it works quite well for us. We use it plugged into our bedroom TV as a replacement for the Joey we used to have in there, saving the $7/mo fee. We also move it to the main TV when we want to watch recorded programming from our second Hopper that we leave at our Adirondack cottage. A few minutes ago, we lost our sat signal during a thunder storm while my wife's favorite soap opera was on, so we quickly switched to the FireTVstick and connected it to the cottage Hopper where the soap is recording, picking up the soap right where it cut out here. We've even used it that way a couple of times on quicky overnight stops when we didn't bother to set up the tripod and dish. Then of course there's all the Amazon Prime videos/movies we can watch with it, as well as hundred hundreds of other available apps. I even side loaded the Firefox browser Android app on it, just to see if I could... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived