ET Senior and a drop hitch combo?

Gary Hage

I'm gonna pitch this thought out to all of the HDT folks our there, but this may be a subject best suited for Phoenix2013 since he originally installed the ET hitch on my Volvo:

As I'm trying to figure out the best way to downsize on my current debt/income ratio, I'm back and forth between installing a motorcycle garage on my 420VNL verses having a drop hitch added to my ET Senior Hitch assembly. As I noted in my earlier thread regarding the garage installation idea, my issue is my all original 1958 Harley Sportster that I currently store (and transport) in my (paid for) 6' X14' fully enclosed cargo trailer. I pull it with my 1500 Chevy Silverado, which is not currently paid for. Nor is it suited to pull my 2013 Redwood 36FB. So, I'm thinking of selling the Silverado and pulling the cargo trailer behind the Volvo as a cheaper alternative to the motorcycle garage. Now that would surely be a sight to see! LOL Let me note that I rarely have to pull the cargo trailer, but when I do, I'm definitely going to need to have something to hook it to, like my already paid for Volvo. You can see where I'm heading with this one. A drop hitch with a 2000-2500 lb tongue weight capacity and towing capacity of no less than 6500-7500 lbs, thus allowing some extra towing capacity above the weight of my cargo trailer if needed.

More specifically noted for Henry (Phoenix2013), I am the current owner of Marv and Connies's 2001 Volvo VNL420 that was a factory built single screw tractor rather than a twin screw conversion. This allowed for the pin to be located less than 36" behind TDC of the drive axle, which I absolutely love!. Based upon the installation of the steel box beam and thick steel plate mounting platform that was used to mount the ET hitch to, is there the load capacity in this assembly to add the drop hitch to the bottom of it and add the vertical tongue weight, etc. to it? Has anyone else had a similar dual hitch setup (ET Hitch and not the other setups since they aren't comparing apples to apples) installed on their HDT? If so, how did it workout for you, and who did your fabrication and installation? I'm leaning towards a receiver type hitch like the Reese Hitch, etc. so when not in use I can just unpin the ball assembly and pull it out to store it. Also, if you feel free to do so, an approximate (or actual) cost for your installation would be a great help in doing some cost comparisons, etc. I'm not far from you Phoenix, but may have a good local welding and fabricator here in Ocala that could (with guidance) do the job properly if needed.

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

2001 Volvo Vnl 420 HDT Toter

!958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH [survivor bike]

Proud dad of Abby the Boston Terrier

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

8 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Are you asking if a receiver type hitch can be added to your truck?

Something like this..... ?

https://www.curtmfg.com/Search?term=Weld

No. Installing a "receiver" type hitch is not going to be an issue, as one can easily be hand fabricated by a skilled welder to custom fit my Volvo. My question(s) and concern is can the back of the Volvo's frame rails where the two box beams for the ET hitch's platform are slid into and attached withstand the extra vertical weight, etc. that hanging a drop hitch would create at the ends of the cantilevered beams. Judging on the thickness of the platform's steal plate, I believe that's gonna be a non-issue in this application. Especially since I want the structure for the drop hitch to be a 4-point connection to the Volvo for added stability and to spread the live loading weight out a bit, along with allowing for two of the connection points to be attached to the Volvo's frame directly ahead of where the cantilevered portion of the box beams begin.

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

Hello Gary, good to hear from you again. Thank you for helping Connie after Marv's passing.

This is what I designed and built in order for the owner to be able to tow everything and anything his heart desired (in addition to the RV with an ET).

VfnVd76l.jpg

DRBYSZcl.jpg

uhraEEpl.jpg

1khORvDl.jpg

zTT2dRKl.jpg

Here's another installation, note that the same bolts that hold the ET to the frame hold the bumper mounts.

UMmwhEYl.jpg

Incidentally, Marv's ET had a 1 inch thick plate, you can pull a Abrahm's tank with it.

3 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Hello Gary, good to hear from you again. Thank you for helping Connie after Marv's passing.

This is what I designed and built in order for the owner to be able to tow everything and anything his heart desired (in addition to the RV with an ET).

VfnVd76l.jpg

DRBYSZcl.jpg

uhraEEpl.jpg

1khORvDl.jpg

zTT2dRKl.jpg

Here's another installation, note that the same bolts that hold the ET to the frame hold the bumper mounts.

UMmwhEYl.jpg

Incidentally, Marv's ET had a 1 inch thick plate, you can pull a Abrahm's tank with it.

Silly me, like I really had to ask about capacity! LOL But,  I would rather be safe than sorry when considering doing such a modification that has a cantilever in the equation. I like what I see in each of the applications posted in this thread. Each are a bit more elaborate than what I need for my use. Such as the full length bumper, and the extended horizontal plate that is holding the ball hitch. I really don't see the need for those in my application or needs. I do think that the frame structure you used would be perfect for mine, with one exception,  I would prefer stacking the vertical back plate (or channel iron) that the hitch's receiver tube inserts into, thus making it flush with the back plate of the ET Hitch assembly. I hope that makes sense! If you wouldn't mind when you've got a moment Henry, could you PM me an estimate on fabricating and assembling the more simple version of a drop hitch for our little Volvo?

Thanks

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

Gary, give me a call at 603-382-6500, it will be more efficient. I'm sure I could throw together on CAD in short order.

If I remember right the the frame on your Volvo was not extended all the way (not that it matters), but I have an idea how to deal with that

Archived