Mobley missing thread

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, rynosback said:

Bad link.

I think that's the idea. Tracing back from the link and the resulting error code may help an admin determine where things went south in the database.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If the thread was only "soft deleted" and just hidden from regular members, then an admin clicking on that link would still be able to go to the thread and see the one we are talking about.

So weekend mods on this forum can't see deleted/hidden threads? If the thread was physically deleted meaning it was completely purged from the DB, then there is nothing they could do shy of a DB restore from a certain point in time, but that would never happen. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

2 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

So weekend mods on this forum can't see deleted/hidden threads?

I looked through the Internet Access on the Road forum and saw two threads that had been hidden because they were spam.  I'm not sure we can see a thread if it has actually been deleted rather than hidden.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

7 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Until we can 'find' the mobley thread , what was the other device that was offered to serve the same purpose , albeit , not as well ?

Another one by AT&T was the audiovox, but I don't think it did the hospot feature.

Technomadio recently reviewed the HumX by Verizon which is similar to the Mobley, but their review found it was definitely smarter than the Mobley and not nearly as easy to trick to use outside the vehicle. It has to be tied to a VIN# and once it is, it can't be used on just power outside the vehicle. It works great inside the vehicle, but that's about it. - https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/review-center/verizon-humx/

Has anyone bothered to email James Hendrix at HQ or any of the admins?

It could be that the Admins are not able to keep up with the software, or have set a limit to the number of posts on any thread. But most other forums have an admin that comes in at say 495-499th posts and posts the new link to the next part. Some threads are on part 10-500. Courtesy.

On the other hand it is a private website not public. They can and should do whatever they want. I do with my private websites. But I'm not selling anything and am not actively seeking growth or any projected good image. I just pitch in to help. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Has anyone bothered to email James Hendrix at HQ or any of the admins?

Thom Bruning is the admin for the forums and I posted his response yesterday. Since the staff doesn't work weekends, I don't expect to hear anything more before Monday.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Until we can 'find' the mobley thread , was there  another device that was offered to serve the same purpose , albeit , not as well ?

The bigger problem currently is finding a Mobley to buy. Pretty much all known sources of them are showing them as out of stock. I don't think AT&T or ZTE had any idea how fast these would take off once the word got around. The Audiovox device is not the same, and does not offer the same Internet connectivity as the Mobley. Rather it's an OBD2 monitoring tool with remote readouts via an app.

Dutch

10 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

If the thread was only "soft deleted" and just hidden from regular members, then an admin clicking on that link would still be able to go to the thread and see the one we are talking about.

So weekend mods on this forum can't see deleted/hidden threads? If the thread was physically deleted meaning it was completely purged from the DB, then there is nothing they could do shy of a DB restore from a certain point in time, but that would never happen. 

They may not be able to restore a deleted record directly, but the transaction log should have clues as to what happened to it. The record itself might be recoverable from a backup.

Dutch

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The bigger problem currently is finding a Mobley to buy. Pretty much all known sources of them are showing them as out of stock. I don't think AT&T or ZTE had any idea how fast these would take off once the word got around. The Audiovox device is not the same, and does not offer the same Internet connectivity as the Mobley. Rather it's an OBD2 monitoring tool with remote readouts via an app.

I was told that they have been out for more then a year.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

They may not be able to restore a deleted record directly, but the transaction log should have clues as to what happened to it. The record itself might be recoverable from a backup.

A soft delete can be put back so forum members can see it.  Mods, super mods and admins can see soft deletes.  We always did soft deletes so if the thread needed to come back or it could be reviewed.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

What has me really concerned is that Admin has no knowledge of the thread being deleted. We can assume the thread disappeared around the beginning of this thread. At least within a few hours as the long thread was very active. If the new software arbitrarily deletes long threads with no warning it is going to be deleted that is a very serious problem. No software should be programmed to delete any data without notification. 

16 hours ago, RV_ said:

It could be that the Admins are not able to keep up with the software, or have set a limit to the number of posts on any thread.

I doubt that's the case here.  The HDT Members On The Road thread, for example, is currently 97 pages long with over 2,400 replies.  I can't imagine the Mobley thread being longer.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

33 minutes ago, LindaH said:

I doubt that's the case here.

According to Thom, that isn't the case. Remember that the forums reside on an outside server that and use rented server space so the Escapee IT people do not have total control of what happens to it. If you check the url's you will see that the main website is hosted on one server (in-house) while the forum is on a different one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, SWharton said:

What has me really concerned is that Admin has no knowledge of the thread being deleted. We can assume the thread disappeared around the beginning of this thread. At least within a few hours as the long thread was very active. If the new software arbitrarily deletes long threads with no warning it is going to be deleted that is a very serious problem. No software should be programmed to delete any data without notification. 

Did an admin say they had no knowledge of it being deleted? I've only seen weekend moderators post in here and they all say they can see a deleted thread although I'm not sure who the admins are? Are there no admins on this forum that stay active in it, only moderators? 

I doubt the software deletes it automatically either. There'd have to be some sort of script or something running to do that and why would someone go through the hassle of donig that? 

Posts in a forum DB do not take up hardly any space as they are just text and a DB could easily handle thousands of replies in a thread without issue. Storing lots of pics would eat up space on the DB server, but they have limited pics to a very small .1mb or something since the last upgrade. Large pics also stored locally on the forum software also eat up a lot of bandwidth too if they are constantly being viewed, however many pics used in here are hosted elsewhere and those sites get the bandwidth request when those pics are viewed.

Kirk posted this from an admin

I’ve been looking into the missing thread and have found no sign of any intentional action being taken on the thread.  I’ve gone through the reports and have found no mention of it either.

I’ve read the posts about the missing thread and couldn’t get a feel for how long the thread has been missing.  I’ll keep looking into it, but for now I’ve found no sign of any conspiracy that would cause the deletion of it.

Thanks,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This needs to be looked into and resolved.

20 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Kirk posted this from an admin

I’ve been looking into the missing thread and have found no sign of any intentional action being taken on the thread.  I’ve gone through the reports and have found no mention of it either.

I’ve read the posts about the missing thread and couldn’t get a feel for how long the thread has been missing.  I’ll keep looking into it, but for now I’ve found no sign of any conspiracy that would cause the deletion of it.

Thanks,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This needs to be looked into and resolved.

Ah, I missed that post on the previous page.Thanks. 

That is very strange if an admin can't even find the thread. 

Since everyone seems to want to pursue this and nobody wants to address the elephant in the room, I guess I will.

That thread was progressing fine until a spammer named "freshydoug" made a post soliciting people to obtain a Mobley IMEI from him so they could get a Mobley connected car account without having to buy a Mobley.  He claimed to have bought a bunch of Mobleys on eBay and would just share their IMEI's for a donation.

Another member responded to him commenting that it was a nice gesture.  Then, I responded to that member saying that it wasn't nice, it was a scam and an illicit way of doing business.  Then, Kirk responded to me advising that he had hidden the scammer's post and that I shouldn't quote such posts in the future.

Then, I took exception to Kirk's post and later posted some unflattering comments about Kirk.  That's when the thread disappeared.  I have no idea how it happened and I am not accusing anyone of deleting the thread.  If the admins didn't delete it, then perhaps someone else without permission hacked the site and deleted it for their own personal reasons.  However, I can't accept the coincidence that one day there is contention in the thread and the next day it disappears without the two being related.

My comments are worth what you all paid for them.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

That's happened here before. As well as the innocence statements. When all that had to be done was to delete any posts, not the whole thread. Which is what would have been done in the old days when Cathy was Admin with Mark running the show. Times change and everyone will never agree if for the better or worse.

The reason that they used to leave up the offending posts and lock the thread was so folks had an example of what not to do. And the perpetrators on both sides preserved.

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/oh_what_a_tangled_web_we_weave-when_first_we/165234.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

21 hours ago, rynosback said:

A soft delete can be put back so forum members can see it.  Mods, super mods and admins can see soft deletes.  We always did soft deletes so if the thread needed to come back or it could be reviewed.

I agree... And that's why I said "may not be able to", since we don't know what form of delete occurred.

Dutch

21 hours ago, rynosback said:

I was told that they have been out for more then a year.

Sure the Mobley has been around that long, but it wasn't until they added the unlimited plan, first at $40, and then $20, that sales really began to take off...

Dutch

Archived