Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GR "Scott" Cundiff

Anyone added a Lippert Ground Control 3.0 leveling system?

Recommended Posts

We've been thinking of adding a leveling system to our 34' 5th wheel.  I know the Bigfoot is a popular add on, but I've seen some decent reviews of the lippert ground control 3.0 system.  It is all electric and the price is considerably lower.  Has anyone had experience with this system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year I helped a fellow camper level his new 5th wheel that has the 3.0 and I was disappointed in it.  It is EXTREMELY slow and doesn't have as much "travel" as the hydraulic version like the one on our 5th wheel. You have to go to each leg and "let them down" or you won't have enough travel for the leveling process.  Spend a few dollars more and get the hydraulic system! Ours is the 6 point Lippert.

Edited by WeBeFulltimers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Last year I helped a fellow camper level his new 5th wheel that has the 3.0 and I was disappointed in it.  It is EXTREMELY slow and doesn't have as much "travel" as the hydraulic version like the one on our 5th wheel. You have to go to each leg and "let them down" or you won't have enough travel for the leveling process.  Spend a few dollars more and get the hydraulic system! Ours is the 6 point Lippert.

Thanks for some real world feedback.  However, I just talked to NuWa's service department and they don't recommend the Big Foot for my HHII LS - something about having to move the tanks to install it - making it a very expensive process.  However, while they've seen the electric system installed on some units, he hasn't installed one himself.

--

Edit to add that I talked to Quadra this morning and the person I talked to said he had never heard of having to relocate tanks for an install.  

So now I have two knowledgeable people saying different things.  Challenging to say the least.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are short enough you could go with the 4 jack system. You have enough basement space the hydraulics could sit inside. If you were concerned about the oil, put a cookie sheet or baking pan under it. The lippert level up had brackets that weld to the outside of the frame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is your total length?

What size " I " beam Lippert frame do you have?

Lippert recommends a minimum 8 inch Lippert frame to add their "Level Up" system.  They almost mandate a 6 point system if your rig is longer than 29'. 

I'm in the process of adding a 6 point system to my 36' Hitchiker with a 10" Lippert frame. 

Both rear and mid jacks have brackets that weld to the outside of the frame. Front jacks replace the exsisting front jacks and can be located on the inside of the frame. 

I would have preferred to locate the rear jacks on the inside of the frame but lots of stuff in the way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Thanks for some real world feedback.  However, I just talked to NuWa's service department and they don't recommend the Big Foot for my HHII LS - something about having to move the tanks to install it - making it a very expensive process.  However, while they've seen the electric system installed on some units, he hasn't installed one himself.

--

Edit to add that I talked to Quadra this morning and the person I talked to said he had never heard of having to relocate tanks for an install.  

So now I have two knowledgeable people saying different things.  Challenging to say the least.

Actually I didn't recommend the Big Foot to you because I have had no experience with them.  I have had and used the Lippert 6 point hydraulic system for almost 6 years while full timing on our 2012 Montana and they have worked flawlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

We had a Voltage with the electric 6 jack unit.  I really like the fact of electric-no fluid or hoses to leak.  Much simpler to diagnose a 12 volt issue than multiple valves and seals for hydraulic.  The only negative for me was the stroke was pretty short on the mid and rear jacks, so some wood blocks were necessary in some instances.  I would have no reservations at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

v

Edited by bja1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still researching.  This remote control Bigfoot system has my attention.  It isn't automatic and it has just one pump.  Jacks are the same as the other one.  Cost is nearly $1000 less.  Again still researching.

on my camper with either Bigfoot system the propane tanks will likely have to be moved over a bit.

http://www.thebigfootleveler.com/4-point-wireless-control-horizontal-central-pump-system.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just cut the Big Foot jacks off our Cameo. We are 35' OA.

Plan is:

Move the front jacks outboard of the frame to to provide a wider stance.

Tilt/slope the jacks 1/4" / foot.

Drop the jacks down 2"

Extend the mounting plates on the back jacks by 3"  to provide a wider stance.

Add cross members perpendicular to the jack to prevent the frame from twisting. 

Find a spot for 2 more jacks. The factory set up was 2 jack at the front and 2 behind the rear axle. This left about 9' at the back. When someone moves in the back of the trailer the tail to wags the dog.

Move the pumps to one (dry)  location and run hydraulic lines.

 

The larger diameter cylinder rods that the Bigfoot have will provide more stability.

Many of the part used in the Bigfoot System are readily available from other suppliers.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 16, 2017 at 6:16 AM, WeBeFulltimers said:

Actually I didn't recommend the Big Foot to you because I have had no experience with them.  I have had and used the Lippert 6 point hydraulic system for almost 6 years while full timing on our 2012 Montana and they have worked flawlessly.

Big foot is the way to go. No hydraulic lines to run and a problem with one does not effect the other three. They are a little pricey but I have had both and the BF is far superior. We had the four Jack system installed and it was around $5,000. The two front jacks are 16,000 lbs each and the rear or 12k each if I remember correctly for a total lifting capacity of 56k. We were caught in a flooded RV park I had our 23,000lb RV wheels 8" off the ground to keep the water out of the storage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM, J-T said:

I just cut the Big Foot jacks off our Cameo. We are 35' OA.

Plan is:

Move the front jacks outboard of the frame to to provide a wider stance.

Tilt/slope the jacks 1/4" / foot.

Drop the jacks down 2"

Extend the mounting plates on the back jacks by 3"  to provide a wider stance.

Add cross members perpendicular to the jack to prevent the frame from twisting. 

Find a spot for 2 more jacks. The factory set up was 2 jack at the front and 2 behind the rear axle. This left about 9' at the back. When someone moves in the back of the trailer the tail to wags the dog.

Move the pumps to one (dry)  location and run hydraulic lines.

 

The larger diameter cylinder rods that the Bigfoot have will provide more stability.

Many of the part used in the Bigfoot System are readily available from other suppliers.


 

We have the same issue when it comes to rear stability so I have two crank downs at the rear. We tow a Mountain Aire which has a really narrow frame due to the tandem dually wheel set up but as long as my tires are on the ground it's not bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2017 at 4:55 PM, Heavymetal said:

We have the same issue when it comes to rear stability so I have two crank downs at the rear. We tow a Mountain Aire which has a really narrow frame due to the tandem dually wheel set up but as long as my tires are on the ground it's not bad. 

 

Thought about doing that but we are often at sites that are not level so the wheels maybe off the ground or the bumper 4' off the ground 

I've pushed the rear jack  back to be 60" behind the rear wheels. I'll add a set just ahead of the axles.

The pump mounted in the front storage look brand new. The pumps mounted behind the wheels (no mud flaps) are in horrible condition.  I'm moving all the pumps into the trailer and going to run hydraulic lines.

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Bigfoot is entering the marketing game by making a lighter/cheaper system that is being installed by some trailer manufactures.

People can keep an eye out for the old vs. new by looking at the different diameter cylinder rods and smaller landing pads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rvonthego.com

Rv Share

Dish For My RV Military Offer.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.



×